News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

idles on choke, crazy bad idle unchoked, give it gas=dead carb issue.

Started by Goetz, November 08, 2012, 06:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goetz

also, when i give it throttle, the carbs make a kind of gasping noise as the engine dies.

tmkaos

Quote from: Goetz on November 08, 2012, 07:58:47 PM
also, when i give it throttle, the carbs make a kind of gasping noise as the engine dies.

That'l be the gnomes, they must be getting tired.

"inside each carb are thousands of tiny gnomes"

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=7805.0

(popcorn)
'92 FJ1200 - '07 to present
'83 VF750S Sabre - '04 - '07
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

Goetz

Tomorrow i put the dynojet kits that came with the bike back in. if that fixes the problem, then i will get to go to work. if it doesn't, i will buy new shoes.

racerrad8

Quote from: Goetz on November 08, 2012, 07:53:28 PM
im about to light the bike on fire, but i cant, cause itsmy only transpo in a week. so, idled at 4krpm on choke and the left two exhaust headers turned RED they got so hot. thats a lean issue, yeah? what would make it so lean? still dies when ANY throttle is given. :flag_of_truce:

The headers might be turning red due to a rich condition and the fuel is still burning as it exits the head and down the header.

Have you vacuum sync'ed them yet?
Are those the only two cylinders firing?
Or are those two cylinders lean or rich due to throttle plate angle.

Also, like we discussed...If those plastic pieces are not on the needles, then the mixture is going to be lean and might be the cause of the dying at the crack of the throttle.

If all else fails, drop them in the mail tomorrow, send them priority mail and I will have them Monday or Tuesday. I can go through them, make sure everything is right and head them back to you the next day. If it all works out right you will have them before the following weekend and you will be ready to ride.

Randy - RPM

Randy - RPM

Goetz

will do. the plastic caps are on the mix screws, i cant get it to idle well enough to sync it. the choke now shoots it up to 4k with loads of popping and farting

Goetz

i replaced the exhaust gaskets, would that affect this? no.. nevermind, stupid thought. Its firing on all 4 w/ choke. shoots up to 4k. both sides turn cherry red in about 20 seconds. batt is on charger now, looked like i could see gas flowing up from the e tube when it was trying to start. idk

Goetz

Im going to put the orig e tubes back and if that fixes it ill call it a day.

fj11.5

After reading the posts about float height and where to measure from,, just for fun I ripped the carbs from effie and adjusted to randy,s specs , ( b ) the curved part of the float ,, I never noticed much difference in performance , guessing fuel consumption would be lower ?? Will adjust the other 2 Fj,s the same, , I had previously used this method
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Goetz

so, thismorning, i put the old e tubes back in for laughs, ya know. hahaha. And i noticed, as i was starting the bike, that the starter was making a lot of noise, like, it was engaged as the bike was idling. start button was binding. gonna wait for it to cool down before i start it again but wouldnt THAT cause this issue? some sort of electical failsafe to keep you from driving around with the starter engaged?

FJmonkey

If you were not in such a hurry I could loan you my stock carbs so you could send yours to Randy and let him do his magic on them. Hope you get it sorted out.  :scratch_one-s_head:
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Goetz

so, got it to idle well enough to sync them, synced and still dies at throttle. using sync-pro manometer style tuner. then i realized i had only replaced one intake o ring, took all the boots off and cleaned em, no cracks, new o rings, (probably should re sync) still dies at throttle. I am getting rather proficient at tearing the thing down though. Im done. Monkey, I may take you up on that, I have to have this thing moving by next Saturday, my friend will be back home (he's loaning me his vehicle while hes away) and ill be sol.

Goetz

how tight should the clamps on the intake boots/carbs be? completely closed?

fj11.5

If the boots are new, maybe ten mm gap ,, or around 5 mm. Gap if old ,, guessing if they are clamped shut, it may pinch the rubber and cause issues  (popcorn)
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Goetz

i just mailed my problem to california, let an expert have a look :wacko2: :wacko2: :wacko2: :wacko2:

rktmanfj

Quote from: Goetz on November 09, 2012, 03:24:41 PM
i just mailed my problem to california, let an expert have a look :wacko2: :wacko2: :wacko2: :wacko2:

Time / money well spent.   :good:
Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350