News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

idles on choke, crazy bad idle unchoked, give it gas=dead carb issue.

Started by Goetz, November 08, 2012, 06:33:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goetz

I have spoken with randy about the problem, and im going to post a pic of the floats. notice the direction the tang is bent. the measurment taken in the pic was 21mm,

DSC00348 by goetzjordan, on Flickr

DSC00349 by goetzjordan, on Flickr
diaphragms are sound, boots are not cracked, air mix screw set at 3 turns out, which did smooth out the idle.

racerrad8

Quote from: Goetz on November 08, 2012, 06:33:24 PM
... and im going to post a pic of the floats. notice the direction the tang is bent. the measurment taken in the pic was 21mm,

That is the incorrect location to measure. You need to be measuring at the step on the other side of the float where the rounded portion starts. Portion B in the photo below and I cant tell from your photo, but to the gasket surface as indicated.

The tab should be bent the other direction like the photo above...

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Goetz

im measuring from the lower portion, not the raised lip. it that right? in any case, sounds like im 4-5mm low

racerrad8

Quote from: Goetz on November 08, 2012, 06:44:21 PM
im measuring from the lower portion, not the raised lip. it that right? in any case, sounds like im 4-5mm low

Yes, the gasket surface.

Technically you are too high on the float level when based off of the bowl volume. I am going to say it might be more than your estimation based on the arch of the float through the travel and the location you have been measuring.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJmonkey

Oh!! Now you've done it!!! I see another Monkey Made Tool (MMT) here. I need to open my carbs and take a few measurements to finalize the shape. Then open up the CAD app to document it and get some made.  I can't help it, my mind is wired for this shit...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Goetz

just adjusted that one and re measured from correct position. I was as 16mm. wouldnt that make it insanely rich, like, when the butterfly valves opened, gas flooded it?

Goetz

going to go fix the other three and see how she runs. setting em all at 23mm.

racerrad8

Quote from: FJmonkey on November 08, 2012, 06:54:15 PM
Oh!! Now you've done it!!! I see another Monkey Made Tool (MMT) here. I need to open my carbs and take a few measurements to finalize the shape. Then open up the CAD app to document it and get some made.  I can't help it, my mind is wired for this shit...

There is already a tool or two.

Internal Float Level Gauge
External Float Level Gauge

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Quote from: Goetz on November 08, 2012, 06:54:20 PM
...wouldnt that make it insanely rich, like, when the butterfly valves opened, gas flooded it?

Yep, there should have been fuel visible flooding around the e-tubes at idle.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

FJmonkey

Quote from: racerrad8 on November 08, 2012, 07:03:12 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on November 08, 2012, 06:54:15 PM

There is already a tool or two.

Internal Float Level Gauge
External Float Level Gauge

Randy - RPM
Killjoy.....  :cray:

racerrad8

Randy - RPM

Goetz

FJmonkey

Quote from: racerrad8 on November 08, 2012, 07:07:54 PM
Well, now you have more time to polish...

Randy - RPM
Polish???? Polish??? With 365 days a year to ride why would I waste time to polish??? I knock off the bugs and ride....

Goetz

it just occurred to me that old carburated bikes must save riders a fortune in gas and tires...

Goetz

im about to light the bike on fire, but i cant, cause itsmy only transpo in a week. so, idled at 4krpm on choke and the left two exhaust headers turned RED they got so hot. thats a lean issue, yeah? what would make it so lean? still dies when ANY throttle is given. :flag_of_truce: