News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Right Carb overflow tube dripping gas

Started by hawk248, March 28, 2013, 06:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawk248

Hello fellow FJOwners,

Last week bought 1985 Fj1100, 13K miles, looked good and ran good as well.
Today I added a gallon of fresh gas, started fine and I let her warm up then idle for good 15 mins ( to run old gas off).

Afterwards, I shut the engine off and put her away in the garage. Soon started noticing gas dripping from right side, near the foot brake.
I took the right fairing off and noticed right side carb overflow tube keeps dripping. The other 3 carb tubes seem OK - not dripping.

Any idea? Is the whole carb shot? Did I buy a lemon?

Appreciate feedback ...

Arnie

The carb that is dripping probably has the O-ring which mounts and seals the needle seat split or perished.  Could also be float height level is too high on that carb and/or that there is crud between the inlet needle and the seat.
Best advice I can give you is to get the SS socket head screw and O-ring kit from RPM (see vendor area).  The carbs could likely use a full clean and adjust.

Arnie

ribbert

Nice buy with that sort of mileage.
No, you didn't but a lemon and no, the carb isn't shot and 15 mins is waaaaaaay too long to leave an FJ idling with no air flowing over it.
This is a common and minor problem.
If you are in a country with ethanol in the fuel the carbs will be gunked up and will need a thorough clean.

A ride and a rev may see it come good, a tap on the bowl of the offending carb will fix it, removal and cleaning is probably the best long term fix.
Mine did this intermittently for a couple of years until I got around to overhauling and cleaning the carbs. It was no big deal I would just tap the bowl a few times with something metallic and it would go 5Km's or 5000k'm's before doing it again.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

Pat Conlon

Welcome. 15 minutes is a long time for a air cooled engine to sit and idle. You will cook your valves.
Perhaps you just to need to clean your float needle seat.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Steve_in_Florida

Hawk,
Welcome to the show!

Do you have any idea how long the bike may have been sitting unused? Did the previous owner ride it much, or recently?

13,000 miles huh? Could it be 113,000 or 213,000?

What kind of shape is it in?

Pictures?

As previously stated, rap on the carb to dislodge any crud on the float valve seat, check/change the oil/oil filter, then take it for a spirited ride!

Don't panic. Follow the advice given, and we'll help get it sorted.

Steve  :hi:

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

FJmonkey

You didn't change the muffler bearings did you????
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

baldy3853

craigo

Quote from: baldy3853 on March 28, 2013, 08:23:04 PM
Quote from: FJmonkey on March 28, 2013, 08:06:28 PM
You didn't change the muffler bearings did you????
WTF are muffler bearings :wacko1: :biggrin:
Those are the bearings that are attached to the muffler that spin when you ride...... :blush: :blush: :pardon:

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

FJmonkey

Craig, we ride on Sat in your nick 'O' the woods with a new member (Frank form Long Beach, custom 84') if you can make it...

hawk248

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on March 28, 2013, 08:02:23 PM

Hawk,
Welcome to the show!

Do you have any idea how long the bike may have been sitting unused? Did the previous owner ride it much, or recently?

13,000 miles huh? Could it be 113,000 or 213,000?

What kind of shape is it in?

Pictures?

As previously stated, rap on the carb to dislodge any crud on the float valve seat, check/change the oil/oil filter, then take it for a spirited ride!

Don't panic. Follow the advice given, and we'll help get it sorted.

Steve  :hi:

Thanks for good feedback. The tube kept dripping until I tapped the carb with a screw driver - now it is almost stopped. I think letting it idle for 15+ mins was way too long. Hopefully I did not cook anything else. The bike is in good condition - does not appear 13K mileage to be tampered with. PO was a mechanic type - rode it every summer. The bike had been sitting in his garage (heated) - although riding season is over in MI by mid to late September. I will post the bike picture in my profile.

I contacted a local mechanic and hopefully tomorrow he will pick it up and get carb cleaned.

yamaha fj rider

Hawk welcome to the forum. A simple carb clean and fresh gas should fix this also use a fuel stabilizer like seafoam. If the bike sits for only a month modern gas can plug the carbs. Don't forget to have the carbs synced after cleaning. Hope this helps.

Kurt 
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

craigo

Quote from: FJmonkey on March 28, 2013, 09:34:30 PM
Craig, we ride on Sat in your nick 'O' the woods with a new member (Frank form Long Beach, custom 84') if you can make it...

I'm in  :good2: Where do we hook up and what time?

CraigO
CraigO
90FJ1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: craigo on March 29, 2013, 06:02:45 AM
Quote from: FJmonkey on March 28, 2013, 09:34:30 PM

I'm in  :good2: Where do we hook up and what time?

CraigO

Check your PM

ELIMINATOR

Tapping the offending carb. didn't work for me, but blowing down the overflow pipe seems to have "cured" it now. Should I have just said that? Will the bike know? :wacko2:
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3

Steve_in_Florida

Quote from: ELIMINATOR on March 29, 2013, 01:02:33 PM

...blowing down the overflow pipe seems to have "cured" it now.

I had a couple of issues like this with my `92 FJ, after I had the carbs rebuilt. Picked the bike up following service, and the next morning, a puddle of gas when I started it.

This was my fix back then. No problems since.

Quote from: Steve_in_Florida on September 18, 2011, 12:15:06 PM

I had the same issue recently, and tried all the aforementioned with no joy. (`92) After considering the fuel flow pattern, I disconnected both fuel lines at the electric pump, ran the float bowls dry, and applied a gentle shot of compressed air to the fuel line to the carbs.

Hooked everything back up and it's been running fine ever since. No carb removal necessary.

`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823