News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Right Carb overflow tube dripping gas

Started by hawk248, March 28, 2013, 06:29:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Conlon

Yep, you guys cleaned out debris from the float needle seat...thus my recommendation.
It only takes a spec or two, to cause the float needle from not closing against the seat.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

jscgdunn

Might be a good idea to install an inline filter...old tanks have lots of Sh#t that will cause issues.
92 FJ1200 2008 ZX14 Forks, wheels, 2008 cbr 600 RR swingarm
92 FJ1200 2009 R1 Swinger, Forks, Wheels, 2013 CBR 1000 Shock
90 FJ 1200 (Son # 2), Stock
89 FJ 1200 Built from parts: (Brother bought it) mostly 92 parts inc. motor
84 FJ 1100 (Son #1), 89 forks wheels, blue spots

FJmonkey

A filter on a 84/87 needs to be really free flowing, the carbs depend on gravity to get fuel.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

SlowOldGuy

Also, just FYI.  If you've got rust in the tank, there's no filter fine enough to keep it all out.  You've got to fix the tank or you'll have continuing carb problems.

DavidR.

keithsc1012

Wow!! 
2 Days ago, I became the owner of a 1988 FJ1200.   It needs a little cosmetic attention, but runs sweet and rides well.
I filled it with fuel after taking it out on the first day, then parked it in the garage and went to work.  When I got back, there was a strong fuel smell in the garage, and when I turned on the ignition, the fuel pump started up and a puddle formed under the bike.
I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from, so I drained the fuel, removed the air box (does that really have to be so difficult?), and hit the ignition again - fuel was pouring from number 4 carb (right hand side of the bike - is this number 4, or number 1?? ).   Figured there was an issue with the carb, but wasn't sure what and didn't want to start stripping it just yet (I plan on stripping the entire bike to powder coat the frame and pretty it up again, and to do a full clean/service of the engine/gearbox, but not so soon - I want to ride it a few months first). 
I reassembled it to move it into the workshop, then jumped on here and did a search of the forum and found this thread... I couldn't believe it, it described my symptoms exactly.  I took the advice and tapped the fuel bowl on the number 4 carb.   I also tried to blow back into the breather/overflow tube.  I hit the starter again, and sure enough, the leak has stopped.   Guess it is either a stuck jet, or similar.   I will be looking into getting a kit to redo all the carbs when I do finally get to overhaul it, but for now, I am getting ready to take her for a ride.

Next time I will be searching this site before I pick up the spanners - might have saved me a couple of hours work this morning.   Thanks to all who contribute

FJmonkey

Quote from: keithsc1012 on April 26, 2013, 09:33:28 PM
Wow!! 
2 Days ago, I became the owner of a 1988 FJ1200.   It needs a little cosmetic attention, but runs sweet and rides well.
I filled it with fuel after taking it out on the first day, then parked it in the garage and went to work.  When I got back, there was a strong fuel smell in the garage, and when I turned on the ignition, the fuel pump started up and a puddle formed under the bike.
I couldn't tell exactly where it was coming from, so I drained the fuel, removed the air box (does that really have to be so difficult?), and hit the ignition again - fuel was pouring from number 4 carb (right hand side of the bike - is this number 4, or number 1?? ).   Figured there was an issue with the carb, but wasn't sure what and didn't want to start stripping it just yet (I plan on stripping the entire bike to powder coat the frame and pretty it up again, and to do a full clean/service of the engine/gearbox, but not so soon - I want to ride it a few months first). 
I reassembled it to move it into the workshop, then jumped on here and did a search of the forum and found this thread... I couldn't believe it, it described my symptoms exactly.  I took the advice and tapped the fuel bowl on the number 4 carb.   I also tried to blow back into the breather/overflow tube.  I hit the starter again, and sure enough, the leak has stopped.   Guess it is either a stuck jet, or similar.   I will be looking into getting a kit to redo all the carbs when I do finally get to overhaul it, but for now, I am getting ready to take her for a ride.

Next time I will be searching this site before I pick up the spanners - might have saved me a couple of hours work this morning.   Thanks to all who contribute
I just fell out of my chair..... Welcome mate, may the Kookaloo be the force that guides you....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

fj11.5

Welcome mate,  you would be the first I remember that's read first and solved a problem, , good luck with the ol girl, may the kookaloo be with you  :hi:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

ELIMINATOR

That's good news. Ridden the bike a few hundred miles now, and the problem hasn't returned. This is of course, after I bought a carb repair kit. maybe the bike saw me put it away , and didn't like the idea of me stripping the carbs off. :flag_of_truce:
BMW 1150GS
Moto Guzzi California 3