News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

DRZ400S anyone have experience with these.

Started by yamaha fj rider, July 22, 2012, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamaha fj rider

Purchased this Suzuki a week ago cleaned it and made some adjustments so far but wondering what other people have done as far as changes?  :good:

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

racerman_27410

I bought the SM version... i rode it one time and then installed..... a real skid plate, case savers,434 Big bore kit, kehin flat slide pumper carb, a set of hotcams, and a MRD exhaust........  Now it rocks the way it should have from the factory   :good2:

I also bought a set of dirt rims so i could have some offroad fun with it too....

i am seriously thinking about installing a kick start kit on it since it is impossible to push start now and if the battery goes dead i am hosed.

two bikes in one is pretty hard to beat.

KOokaloo!

yamaha fj rider

Wow looks great. I will bet it's too much fun. It sounds like you spent more on mods than I spent for the bike. Mine is a 2001 that was mostly ridden on the street and is in great shape looks like it's two years old. Ordered new bars and levers, tires are next then a new skid plate. Exhaust is a scorpion muffler very loud and I don't think it has a spark arrest-or. This is a must for Utah right now. THANK YOU for showing me what is possible.  :good2:

Kurt   
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

movenon

Had one, sold it and bought an FJ..... The DRZ was just to tall for me and I found myself using it on the road most of the time. .
As a note when you change oil. Use a new oil plug gasket and for goodness sake please only go to the spec. torque. If you over tighten it you can easily break the case. It is a known hazard........ Out of memory the drain hole is where the case splits and something about the taper. Been awhile. Do a little investigation. I think there is  WEB site out there call Thumper.com or something like that with a lot of DRZ info. 
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

yamaha fj rider

movenon thank's for the info I will be careful with the drain plug and check out thumper .com. P.S. not selling the FJ it just keeps getting better.  :yahoo:

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

racerman_27410

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on July 22, 2012, 06:07:29 PM
Wow looks great. I will bet it's too much fun. It sounds like you spent more on mods than I spent for the bike. Mine is a 2001 that was mostly ridden on the street and is in great shape looks like it's two years old. Ordered new bars and levers, tires are next then a new skid plate. Exhaust is a scorpion muffler very loud and I don't think it has a spark arrest-or. This is a must for Utah right now. THANK YOU for showing me what is possible.  :good2:

Kurt   

i got a screaming deal on the 2007 SM in 2010, only had 1700 miles on it.... the guy had stored it under a BBQ cover and all the plastics had gotten all scratched up from the cover flapping in the wind. Ididnt mind that since it saved me the trouble of beating the plastics up myself.  :i_am_so_happy:

all the mods (including the purchase of the bike) were less than the cost of a new DRZ off the showroom floor and the torque/ throttle response and top end power improvements are worth more than double their money value once you let out the clutch.
it is truely 10 barrels O'monkey fun and makes me feel like a lawbreaker even when i'm being good.
Always tempting me to wheelie/stoppie, jump ditches and ride up and down stairs  :biggrin:

KOokaloo!

yamaha fj rider

racerman   27410  Sounds like you got a great deal and your mods make that bike a blast. I have a yamaha WR for serious off road fun bought this for street to dirt and easy trails. Thank You again for the tips and info.  :good2:

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

BSI

congrats FJ Rider on getting a great bike...I bought a 04' 'S' version with knobbies and love it even though I haven't had chance to ride it near enough...

there are some good DRZ forums...I believe Thumpertalk.com is the one 'movenon' referred about...there is a DRZ400 section on there... http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/17-dr-z-400/ ...and also Adventure Rider... http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=227340&page=1030 is great forum

when it comes to mods, 'racerman' has shown you the way...wow! knowing the power they have stock I can only imagine the thrill of riding his...someday when I get off the road and have time I want to do what he has

'racerman', I'm curious on what rack you have?...I'm looking to buy one and I believe I have the same tail bag that you have on yours...I also need a battery, looking at a light weight version..any advice?

didn't mean to highjack your thread FJ rider...it's all about Dizzers (DRZs) anyway  :good2:
92' FJ1200
86' FJ1200
86' FJ1200 - just bought-not started in 2 yrs
04' Suzuki DRZ 400S - cornering on knobbies
76' Husky WR250 - bought in 81', needs lots of TLC

racerman_27410

this is the rack i bought for the rear

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Suzuki-DRZ400S-SM-Dual-Sport-UTILITY-rack-DRZ-400-/271009896563?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3f1972d873

i also got a set of these so i can throw my soft bags on for some dual sport camping.... they also work pretty good as handholds when dragging the DRZ off of a huge wild grapevine growing sideways across the hill i'm trying to ride across.

http://www.happy-trail.com/Suzuki-DRZ400S/OSR-Original%20Side-Racks-DRZ400S.aspx

i actually put in a larger battery..... it's a big battery kit that eddie Sisneros put together (he is the big cheese guru in the thumpertalk DRZ section) Although there are some lithium batterys that are much lighter weight i'm not sure they hold up under offroad use that well.

http://www.thumpertalk.com/topic/550831-sisneros-speed-works-super-start-kit/

KOokaloo! :good2:

BSI

your tail bag looks like a Cortech?...with that rack @ 9" x 11" I'm curious on how good it does covering bag base width?...I guess a thin piece of wood or plastic shaped to the bottom of bag would be helpful if there was a side sagging problem, I thought I would need to do that with another rack I almost bought

1st change I need to do is the seat, with me at 5'8" the stock one is too tall & a pain in the a**...have you changed yours?...seems everybody has different favorites but I'm considering a Corbin as I need to lower it as much as I can...putting a foot down in the woods is hard for me to do from that high of a perch

I'm familiar with Eddie, he's THE guru no doubt and I saw his kit...I'm hesitant on the lithium battery also but want one and keep trying to gain enough opinions of them to make a decision...as a freind said 'I need to quit f***g around and buy something' as mine went totally dead and I need a ride / fix!

thanks for all the advice!
92' FJ1200
86' FJ1200
86' FJ1200 - just bought-not started in 2 yrs
04' Suzuki DRZ 400S - cornering on knobbies
76' Husky WR250 - bought in 81', needs lots of TLC

The General

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on July 22, 2012, 10:40:14 AM
Purchased this Suzuki a week ago cleaned it and made some adjustments so far but wondering what other people have done as far as changes?  :good:

Kurt
Okay mine is the DR650 for longer (high speed) black surfaces between National Parks.
I tilted the headlight surround forward and created a flat shelf in front of the speedo for a first aid kit, added a home made screen (160klm/hr is max), hid a spare tube under the headlight, Gold valve emulators and increased spring weight up front, Knobby tyres rated for high speed (including front and back tyre clamps), air pressure of 22 in the front (so won`t bend rims in the big hits) & 20 in the rear, Ohlims rear shock (most DR`s are too soft), rear home made rack, jimmy button handlebars, and bar risers (to feel the bike on steep, steep rocky hills while on the pegs), air cell cushion for long trips, GPS & CB radio mounts, bash plate, stronger knuckle guards and spare shorai battery included in extensive tool and camping kit.
DR`s are virtually indestructible and unbelievably reliable. (Mine is surprisingly quicker in the twisties than the FJ - below 120klm/hr) and sensationally pulls off long power slides in the flat dirt but ya gotta sit well back in loose Sand and plenty of throttle- would consider a steering damper but they`re a bit pricey. I`ve dropped mine at dirt speed between 80 & 100klms/hr at least 6 times, below that speed on another dozen occasions, slid it down 2 steep embankments (cliffs) & drowned it totally, once.  Can`t see me ever selling her.
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

The General

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on July 22, 2012, 10:40:14 AM

Kurt
I had to retrain mine not to eat branches. If ya just hit 4th gear round a bend on a damp clay road, the brakes aren`t real helpful when there`s a tree down.
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

yamaha fj rider

Sometimes all you can do is lighten the front end and gas it. Glad it turned out well. Ordered new bars, levers and grips. Tires are next.  :good2:

Kurt 
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

yamaha fj rider

BSI Thank's for the advise I need to take some pictures of this bike to post. I was so surprised when my friend said he was going to sell it. Then he said I could have it for $1800 dollars. Everyone else $2400. Could not pass it up. A lot things going on there probably just new tires for now and figure it out over the winter also this gives me some time with the bike to figure out what I need/want.  :good2:

Kurt   
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

yamaha fj rider

Racerman 27410 Thank's again for the info. This will help a lot when I start making changes. Too cool.  :good2:

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES