News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

DRZ400S anyone have experience with these.

Started by yamaha fj rider, July 22, 2012, 10:40:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

racerrad8

Quote from: BSI on July 24, 2012, 12:39:21 AM
I'm hesitant on the lithium battery also but want one and keep trying to gain enough opinions of them to make a decision...as a freind said 'I need to quit f***g around and buy something' as mine went totally dead and I need a ride / fix!

Shorai has two options of batteries for the DRZ. I looked them up this morning and you have the standard application @ $114.95 or the larger capacity for $159.95

Suzuki-2004-DRZ400 E/S

I am a Shorai dealer and can get them overnight and head your way.

Shoot me an email if you are interested.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

racerman_27410

your tail bag looks like a Cortech?...with that rack @ 9" x 11" I'm curious on how good it does covering bag base width?...I guess a thin piece of wood or plastic shaped to the bottom of bag would be helpful if there was a side sagging problem, I thought I would need to do that with another rack I almost bought

1st change I need to do is the seat, with me at 5'8" the stock one is too tall & a pain in the a**...have you changed yours?...seems everybody has different favorites but I'm considering a Corbin as I need to lower it as much as I can...putting a foot down in the woods is hard for me to do from that high of a perch

I'm familiar with Eddie, he's THE guru no doubt and I saw his kit...I'm hesitant on the lithium battery also but want one and keep trying to gain enough opinions of them to make a decision...as a freind said 'I need to quit f***g around and buy something' as mine went totally dead and I need a ride / fix!

thanks for all the advice!

it is a cortech bag and the rack works fine.... its a little narrow but totally functional

I was lucky my SM came with a corbin already installed....it does help a lot for we short legged people  but its hard as a rock and you wont ever forget it.... that being said i will take sitting on a wide flat rock over sitting on a 2x4 butt wedge any day of the week!
A friend of mine got a lithium battery and whie they are super light weight it didnt survive long at all.... i dont think they like the trail work.

i would also recommend some radiator guards...... there is nothing like being left stranded on a trail because of something that was preventable.

Guards with turkey baster coolant resevoir mod.

KOokaloo!

markmartin

Quoteauthor=racerrad8 link=topic=7132.msg63398#msg63398 date=1343144052]

Shorai has two options of batteries for the DRZ. I looked them up this morning and you have the standard application @ $114.95 or the larger capacity for $159.95

Suzuki-2004-DRZ400 E/S

Randy - RPM

I'm using a Shorai battery in my CRF230 and have about 12 hours of beating the trails this summer and have had no issues with it.  I find it works well, it's feather light,  and turns the bike over well.  I've no kickstart on this bike so it had better work!!

ddlewis

Quote from: The General on July 24, 2012, 07:38:06 AMOkay mine is the DR650 for longer (high speed) black surfaces between National Parks.
I tilted the headlight surround forward and created a flat shelf in front of the speedo for a first aid kit, added a home made screen (160klm/hr is max), hid a spare tube under the headlight, Gold valve emulators and increased spring weight up front, Knobby tyres rated for high speed (including front and back tyre clamps), air pressure of 22 in the front (so won`t bend rims in the big hits) & 20 in the rear, Ohlims rear shock (most DR`s are too soft), rear home made rack, jimmy button handlebars, and bar risers (to feel the bike on steep, steep rocky hills while on the pegs), air cell cushion for long trips, GPS & CB radio mounts, bash plate, stronger knuckle guards and spare shorai battery included in extensive tool and camping kit.
DR`s are virtually indestructible and unbelievably reliable. (Mine is surprisingly quicker in the twisties than the FJ - below 120klm/hr) and sensationally pulls off long power slides in the flat dirt but ya gotta sit well back in loose Sand and plenty of throttle- would consider a steering damper but they`re a bit pricey. I`ve dropped mine at dirt speed between 80 & 100klms/hr at least 6 times, below that speed on another dozen occasions, slid it down 2 steep embankments (cliffs) & drowned it totally, once.  Can`t see me ever selling her.

Hey General, late last year picked up an 07 DR650.  Love it and have been riding the crap out of it.  6,000 mile since first of the year.  I've done similar upgrades to what you mention above. When my battery needs replacing I'm going with a Shorai Lithium.  And I'd like a slightly bigger tank at some point.  Just recently put on a 39mm FCR pumper off a Yam YFZ quad and a muffler off an 02 GSXR 1000.  Low end grunt is off the charts.

I ride pretty often with some DRZ400 guys and they are really nice bikes.  They have an edge in the woods, but I travel more comfortably.  That doesn't stop 'em though.  I rode 350 miles one day up to the mountains a couple weekends ago with a DRZ400..  Spent most of the day splashing through creeks and climbing hills and then rode 70mph for hours on the way home and drz didn't seem to mind that part at all.  He does have a Corbin seat on it.

Next week I'm off for a 3 day camp/ride to W.Va.  (with my hammock, Frank!)

The General

No doubt about`m Frank, I`ve even had the misses on tha back a couple of times and it just keeps chuggin along. Had a long range safari tank in the shed for 2 years now for a bucket listed Simpson dessert trip, but so far never found the need for it. (might swap it for a steering damper). Also impressed with the Kwaka KLR 650 as a really good all rounder - but ya might as well buy spare plastics up front to ensure ya don`t bork at real challenges.  +  it`ll then be tidy for when ya sell it. Both are valueformoney bikes.
(If ya look up FUN in tha webster dictionary I betcha there`s a pic of an FJ and a DR)
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

racerman_27410

Danny,

I knew you would take to hammock camping!

its the shiznit!

where ya going in Wva>?

KOokaloo!

Frank

ddlewis

Going up to Dolly Sods, ride the gravel etc..   Then down to Lake Moomaw in Va.  Then I'm not sure..  either come home or one more night out.  Maybe down by the river at Calvins.

I do really like the hammock.  More comfortable than a pad and easier to carry.

BSI

Quote from: racerrad8 on July 24, 2012, 10:34:12 AM
I'm hesitant on the lithium battery also but want one and keep trying to gain enough opinions of them to make a decision...as a freind said 'I need to quit f***g around and buy something' as mine went totally dead and I need a ride / fix!

Suzuki-2004-DRZ400 E/S

Randy - RPM

thanks for battery info Randy...I know you would not represent & sell Shorai if the product hadn't proven itself but I'm curious how long you have used Shorai?..why you choose to sell it over the competitors?...I'm overdue on getting some FJ stuff from you too, will do that soon...your help's much appreciated....Louie
92' FJ1200
86' FJ1200
86' FJ1200 - just bought-not started in 2 yrs
04' Suzuki DRZ 400S - cornering on knobbies
76' Husky WR250 - bought in 81', needs lots of TLC

BSI

Quote from: racerman_27410 on July 24, 2012, 11:12:31 AM
your tail bag looks like a Cortech?...with that rack @ 9" x 11" I'm curious on how good it does covering bag base width?...I guess a thin piece of wood or plastic shaped to the bottom of bag would be helpful if there was a side sagging problem, I thought I would need to do that with another rack I almost bought

1st change I need to do is the seat, with me at 5'8" the stock one is too tall & a pain in the a**...have you changed yours?...seems everybody has different favorites but I'm considering a Corbin as I need to lower it as much as I can...putting a foot down in the woods is hard for me to do from that high of a perch

I'm familiar with Eddie, he's THE guru no doubt and I saw his kit...I'm hesitant on the lithium battery also but want one and keep trying to gain enough opinions of them to make a decision...as a freind said 'I need to quit f***g around and buy something' as mine went totally dead and I need a ride / fix!

thanks for all the advice!

it is a cortech bag and the rack works fine.... its a little narrow but totally functional

I was lucky my SM came with a corbin already installed....it does help a lot for we short legged people  but its hard as a rock and you wont ever forget it.... that being said i will take sitting on a wide flat rock over sitting on a 2x4 butt wedge any day of the week!
A friend of mine got a lithium battery and whie they are super light weight it didnt survive long at all.... i dont think they like the trail work.

i would also recommend some radiator guards...... there is nothing like being left stranded on a trail because of something that was preventable.

Guards with turkey baster coolant resevoir mod.

KOokaloo!

thanks for info Frank...imagining the extra fun you'll have with your throttle has got me wanting a FCR 39mm pumper once again...any buying advice?...do you need a designed kit or is buying a stray used unit easy enough to get to fit and work properly? (when of course it's tuned/jetted correctly)....what brand radiator protector did you use?..thanks
92' FJ1200
86' FJ1200
86' FJ1200 - just bought-not started in 2 yrs
04' Suzuki DRZ 400S - cornering on knobbies
76' Husky WR250 - bought in 81', needs lots of TLC

The General

My shorai battery was sized to fit the fj and also th DR. The supplier includes sponge packing to adjust to the different battery holders. It`s usually my floater in the tool box on long trips - but right now in fj2 due to a battery fault on the road. I`ll soon buy a cheaper battery for the FJ2 and the Shorai (with it`s fantastic shelf life) will become the floater again. (and weighs only 1kg approx). - works for me.
`93 with downside up forks.
`78 XS11/1200 with a bit on the side.
Special edition Rocket Ship ZX14R Kwacka

racerman_27410

Quote from: BSI on July 26, 2012, 02:30:28 AM

thanks for info Frank...imagining the extra fun you'll have with your throttle has got me wanting a FCR 39mm pumper once again...any buying advice?...do you need a designed kit or is buying a stray used unit easy enough to get to fit and work properly? (when of course it's tuned/jetted correctly)....what brand radiator protector did you use?..thanks

I got the pumper carb kit from thumpertalk along with the radiator guards and case savers..... it was pretty much all plug and play.

spend the extra coin and get the easy adjust mixture needle (it has a T handle on it) i have found the pumper to be sensitive to altitude changes and a small tweak can make a huge difference.

KOokaloo!

Frank

racerrad8

Quote from: BSI on July 26, 2012, 12:57:30 AM
thanks for battery info Randy...I know you would not represent & sell Shorai if the product hadn't proven itself but I'm curious how long you have used Shorai?..why you choose to sell it over the competitors?...I'm overdue on getting some FJ stuff from you too, will do that soon...your help's much appreciated....Louie

Actually, I have only been a Shorai dealer since earlier this year. They were recommended to me by a buddy that is a dealer in So-Cal and makes Indian M/C parts.

I than did some research and talked to Shorai. They are about 90 miles from me and drove over to see me an what I was doing. They answered all of my questions and I feel comfortable working with them. I have sold over 20 batteries to date and not one issue or complaint, only praise.

At this point, I have not used one in either of my bikes yet as they both have just over a year old AGM batteries that I installed. Once they die...The Shorai will be going in.

They are light & powerful and so far my experience has been 100% positive.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

carey

Randy,

Good to know you're a Shorai dealer.  I'll be contacting you next time I need a battery.  I currently have two Shorais.  One in my Tiger and anther in my KTM.  They work as advertised.