News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Speedometer adjustment

Started by Bozo, October 02, 2023, 01:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozo

Does anyone know how to adjust the speedometer needle, Mine read 8 / 9 Kph optimistic and its driving me nuts. Is there spring or something I can move to change the reading?
First major bike in my life was a Mach III widow maker.
My Second permanent bike 1978 Z1R (owned since Dec 1977)
My Third permanent bike is the 89 FJ12 - nice and fast
Forth bike 89 FJ12 my totally standard workhorse
81 GPZ1100 hybrid - what a bike, built to sell but I can't part with it

fj1289

Speed Hut  GPS speedo.   Not the answer you "wanted" but is the answer you "need" if it is driving you nuts.  

Here is one write up - https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=19804.msg202610#msg202610 - search speedhut speedometer and you should find more.  

There is also a guy known for rebuilding the speedometers - maybe he can make an adjustment?   https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=20820.msg212126#msg212126

Good luck!

red

Quote from: Bozo on October 02, 2023, 01:01:27 AMDoes anyone know how to adjust the speedometer needle, Mine read 8 / 9 Kph optimistic and its driving me nuts. Is there spring or something I can move to change the reading?
Bozo,

Can't help directly with the instrument. but Amazon has lots of digital GPS speedometers,
and even some that mimic an original swinging-needle gauge.  Digitals are easier to read, for me.
The digitals cost around US$ 25.00 to start, and the price goes to the stars from there.
Some include odometers, and gather other trip data info.  Most run on a GPS cable, with nothing else needed.
Cheaper than an instrument repair.  HTH.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Bozo

Quote from: fj1289 on October 02, 2023, 07:19:46 AM
Speed Hut  GPS speedo.   Not the answer you "wanted" but is the answer you "need" if it is driving you nuts.  

Here is one write up - https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=19804.msg202610#msg202610 - search speedhut speedometer and you should find more.  

There is also a guy known for rebuilding the speedometers - maybe he can make an adjustment?   https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=20820.msg212126#msg212126

Good luck!

Thanks, I already have speedhut on all 4 bikes but I just wanted my standard FJ to have an original, currently the original is backed up with a GPS Heads Up Display

Miker

I use the free DigiHUD Speedometer app for Android.  It is very accurate as I have tested it in multiple vehicles.  It's a cool retro display and is convenient as you can run it in a window while using navigation or whatever else.  It also includes a trip so you can more easily keep track of when your bike is about to run out of gas. 
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R

Bozo

Quote from: Miker on October 15, 2023, 11:23:35 AM
I use the free DigiHUD Speedometer app for Android.  It is very accurate as I have tested it in multiple vehicles.  It's a cool retro display and is convenient as you can run it in a window while using navigation or whatever else.  It also includes a trip so you can more easily keep track of when your bike is about to run out of gas. 
Miker I'm using a HUD at present which shines onto the underside of my screen just above the gauges  but I was hoping to fix the speedo accuracy. The one you pictured looks better than my setup.