News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Speedometer adjustment

Started by Bozo, October 02, 2023, 01:01:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozo

Does anyone know how to adjust the speedometer needle, Mine read 8 / 9 Kph optimistic and its driving me nuts. Is there spring or something I can move to change the reading?
First major bike in my life was a Mach III widow maker.
My Second permanent bike 1978 Z1R (owned since Dec 1977)
My Third permanent bike is the 89 FJ12 - nice and fast
Forth bike 89 FJ12 my totally standard workhorse
81 GPZ1100 hybrid - what a bike, built to sell but I can't part with it

fj1289

Speed Hut  GPS speedo.   Not the answer you "wanted" but is the answer you "need" if it is driving you nuts.  

Here is one write up - https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=19804.msg202610#msg202610 - search speedhut speedometer and you should find more.  

There is also a guy known for rebuilding the speedometers - maybe he can make an adjustment?   https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=20820.msg212126#msg212126

Good luck!

red

Quote from: Bozo on October 02, 2023, 01:01:27 AMDoes anyone know how to adjust the speedometer needle, Mine read 8 / 9 Kph optimistic and its driving me nuts. Is there spring or something I can move to change the reading?
Bozo,

Can't help directly with the instrument. but Amazon has lots of digital GPS speedometers,
and even some that mimic an original swinging-needle gauge.  Digitals are easier to read, for me.
The digitals cost around US$ 25.00 to start, and the price goes to the stars from there.
Some include odometers, and gather other trip data info.  Most run on a GPS cable, with nothing else needed.
Cheaper than an instrument repair.  HTH.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Bozo

Quote from: fj1289 on October 02, 2023, 07:19:46 AM
Speed Hut  GPS speedo.   Not the answer you "wanted" but is the answer you "need" if it is driving you nuts.  

Here is one write up - https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=19804.msg202610#msg202610 - search speedhut speedometer and you should find more.  

There is also a guy known for rebuilding the speedometers - maybe he can make an adjustment?   https://fjowners.com/index.php?topic=20820.msg212126#msg212126

Good luck!

Thanks, I already have speedhut on all 4 bikes but I just wanted my standard FJ to have an original, currently the original is backed up with a GPS Heads Up Display

Miker

I use the free DigiHUD Speedometer app for Android.  It is very accurate as I have tested it in multiple vehicles.  It's a cool retro display and is convenient as you can run it in a window while using navigation or whatever else.  It also includes a trip so you can more easily keep track of when your bike is about to run out of gas. 
1985 FJ1100
2003 ZX-12R

Bozo

Quote from: Miker on October 15, 2023, 11:23:35 AM
I use the free DigiHUD Speedometer app for Android.  It is very accurate as I have tested it in multiple vehicles.  It's a cool retro display and is convenient as you can run it in a window while using navigation or whatever else.  It also includes a trip so you can more easily keep track of when your bike is about to run out of gas. 
Miker I'm using a HUD at present which shines onto the underside of my screen just above the gauges  but I was hoping to fix the speedo accuracy. The one you pictured looks better than my setup.