News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Hi from South Yorkshire England

Started by Rikki fj12, January 23, 2023, 03:12:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rikki fj12

Hi everyone
I have recently bought my first fj1200 after completing my first project which was an xj600
I really loved the bike when it was finished but I'm a big guy and I really wanted a bigger engine which I wouldn't get bored of so I sold the xj to fund the fj1200
I got stuck straight in and completely dismantled the bike giving it a good service following some great advice and walk throughs online and YouTube
I've gone for the street fighter look after seeing some nice looking examples on line
I just have to chose front and rear lights,clocks,mirrors and make a fibre glass seat
Any advice will be greatly appreciated
Thanks rikki

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Millietant

Welcome in Rikki (from another UK member).

Looks like you've made a great start with your streetfighter build (especially by not chopping off the front frame section that supports the steering head  :good2:

I've seen a couple of FJ's with either a R6 or a GSXR 1000 seat/tail fitted that look absolutely awesome (with a bit of a lift at the back. The 2007 onwards (maybe 2006) GSXR 1000 tail has faired in indicators as well.

Front lights are a bit awkward andI've seen lots of not so nice ones, and very few good ones. Stuart Monk's is a one that looks good.

Instruments/clocks-wise, I've not seen much at all, but the FJ's mechanical speedo limits options unless you're going to modify the drive, or go for a GPS option, at which point I'd say have a look at Koso (but be prepared to "spend").

Sorry I can't be more help. BUT....... What are you doing with the bits you've taken off? Of the fairing and ancillaries are even half decent of be interested in them (they're the same colour as mine).  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Rikki fj12

Hi
Haha yeh the front fame section is one of the reasons I chose the fj I think it looks
Awesome I really like the way the frame wraps around the bike like a bash guard lol
I was thinking about keeping the rear frame which I welded to a point naked and just covering from the
Back of the battery tray and just up the front of the tank
And I 100% agree the front light is a tricky one
I've seen a triangle shaped one which would fit just underneath that bar on the front which would
Possibly look good
I'll post a pic and would like to know what you think
Do you have a pic of the one you said looked good ??
I've seen a rear light which would bolt to the back of the battery cage just under the tail which I'll post a pic
Unfortunately I broke some of the fairing removing it as the bolts were rusted solid
If anyone is interested I have the frame which holds the headlight, two headlights, a bunch of spare indicators and wing mirrors the exhausts and the two side plastics which cover the air box with vents in oh and the rear cowel with the light still intact
Is it possible to fit a digital display if I add the magnet type of speedometer to the front hub ??

Old Rider

Hello and welcome Rikki !  I have seen several fj streetfighter rebuilds that i to be honest did not like too much ,but yours look very promising .And follow the Deans advice to not chop
off the front frame bridge i think that may bee dangerous .Im planning to buy another FJ that i will make into a streetfighter so i will follow your project and maybe steel some of your ideas
:good2:

Rikki fj12

Hi and thanks
I really like the look of the frame bridge I think it looks different in a good way
I've spent quite a bit of time chopping all the tabs of the frame which hold the wiring loom
And you can't tell off of my photos but I've made a triangular box above my rear shocker which
Has the complete wiring loom in it and I've ran two big multiple core (13) cables through the frame
One on each side which was a little tricky to say the least
On the left I ran the left switch gear and the big plug for the lights and dash and on the right the right switch gear and the coils
I used caravan cable which had different thickness cable inside which is perfect for the job (thick for the power and the thinner ones for lights and stuff)
I powder coated the tank, steering yolk, foot rest holders , valve cover ,loom and battery tray and also some other bits I made
Like the fuel pump guard and mud guards I made from stainless steel
I completely stripped the carbs raising the needle washers and and repairing the small holes in the diaphragms 
When replacing the valve cover i bought new gaskets and bolt seals
So that's where I'm at lol
Still a few bits to go but the big stuff is all out of the way now thank god lol

Rikki fj12

Hi
How can I post a video of it running??

Rikki fj12

Almost done just need small digital speedometer now

red

Quote from: Rikki fj12 on February 24, 2023, 11:27:06 AMAlmost done just need small digital speedometer now
Rikki,

Welcome to the campfire!  Be among friends here.

Not sure how good Amazon.com may be over there, but I found dozens of GPS speedometers on the USA site.  Typically the prices start at about US$30 (~ 25 GBP).

Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Rikki fj12

Hi
Brilliant I'll take a look
Do I they need to connect to 4g to work?

red

Quote from: Rikki fj12 on February 24, 2023, 11:57:29 PMHi
Brilliant I'll take a look Do I they need to connect to 4g to work?
Rikki,

I believe the URL for them will be:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/

Try your local Search Engines, if needed, for a better address. 
No need for 4G; I have connected with them with a slow DSL (land-line phone) for many years.
Cheers,
Red

P.S. Life is too short, and health is too valuable, to ride on cheap parade-duty tires.

Urx

On a slightly killjoy note  I just wanted to check you know that the number plate you have isnt legal.
Black/silver plates are only legit up to 1973. If you were unlucky enought to come across a knowledgeable traffic cop then it might be enought to earn a tug.
Stainless lines
Blue spot calipers but std m/cyl (so far)
Ebc prolite front discs
Ohlins remote adj rear shock
Remus 4:1
Still running original chain and sprockets from new (scotoilers really work)
Krauser k2s

Old Rider

Hi Rikki Your bike looks cool  :good: only thing is maybe make another seat or rear cowling that follow the arrow lines on the rear frame .I also almost bought those taillight when i made a seat for my bike ,but found out that there was not enough space for them .I will buy a set for my next
fj street fighter build if that ever happens =) .

About the number plate you can buy this hinged holder  :biggrin:

Rikki fj12

Quote from: Urx on February 26, 2023, 02:05:55 AM
On a slightly killjoy note  I just wanted to check you know that the number plate you have isnt legal.
Black/silver plates are only legit up to 1973. If you were unlucky enought to come across a knowledgeable traffic cop then it might be enought to earn a tug.
Yeh I have a legit one for mot purposes ????

Rikki fj12

Quote from: Old Rider on February 26, 2023, 02:27:21 PM
Hi Rikki Your bike looks cool  :good: only thing is maybe make another seat or rear cowling that follow the arrow lines on the rear frame .I also almost bought those taillight when i made a seat for my bike ,but found out that there was not enough space for them .I will buy a set for my next
fj street fighter build if that ever happens =) .

About the number plate you can buy this hinged holder  :biggrin:
Thanks and great idea I might try to make something with fibre glass ????????