News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

FJ 1200 for Russia

Started by Edouard, November 30, 2022, 07:09:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edouard

Hi, everybody !
I am the owner of the 1991 FJ 1200 from Russia. I bought my motorcycle in Japan with a mileage of 14 thousand miles last year and am improving it. I installed the Krauser K2 trunk system, now I want to put a seat from korbin laminar lip and the laminar lip fairing.
Who already uses these parts, please tell me, are they convenient or useless?

FJmonkey

Welcome, I am sure others with the Krauser K2 will offer some help. How long have you owned the FJ?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

RPM - Robert

Corbin seats are very comfy. If you were state side you could ride in to the shop here in California and they would fit it to you. I can not answer about the lip or lip fairing, we do not have that on any of our FJs

FJmonkey

I think the lip fairing depends on rider height (how much of your helmet is in the air stream).  I prefer the standard windscreen on my 86' and 89'. But that might also depend on how many miles you ride (short day trips vs. long rides). And it also may vary on the current helmet you use. Ride it and figure out what is good for you and what you want to change.

Edouard

Quote from: FJmonkey on November 30, 2022, 10:36:32 AM
Welcome, I am sure others with the Krauser K2 will offer some help. How long have you owned the FJ?

Thanks! I've only been driving FJ for one year. I've set up the trunks krauser, it's a very good system! Now I want to buy a Corbin seat, since traveling 100+ miles is not very convenient on a regular seat.
My height is about 6 feet, so I don't have enough regular glass. After all, I drive at a temperature of 30 degrees F. I liked the opportunity to install magnification of the glass of a well-known company - laminar lip

Edouard

As for the technique, I completely went over my FJ using the most original parts. Although we, fans of these motorcycles in Russia, do some with our own hands and pick up parts from other motorcycles or cars) I will try to post information on working with my bike, I hope it will be useful

FJmonkey

Quote from: Edouard on November 30, 2022, 12:45:42 PM
As for the technique, I completely went over my FJ using the most original parts. Although we, fans of these motorcycles in Russia, do some with our own hands and pick up parts from other motorcycles or cars) I will try to post information on working with my bike, I hope it will be useful

Awesome, we have many files and posts on this forum on modifications from other bikes and years that improve safety and performance. I have many mods that I recommend. It does depend on finding the parts. Not all are easy to find, depending on where you live.

Millietant

Quote from: Edouard on November 30, 2022, 07:09:40 AM
Hi, everybody !
I am the owner of the 1991 FJ 1200 from Russia. I bought my motorcycle in Japan with a mileage of 14 thousand miles last year and am improving it. I installed the Krauser K2 trunk system, now I want to put a seat from korbin laminar lip and the laminar lip fairing.
Who already uses these parts, please tell me, are they convenient or useless?

I have used a Krauser K2 luggage system on my FJ 1200 for over 30 years with no problems. It is strong, durable and practical. I have also used Givi luggage another FJ and on other bikes. I much prefer the K2 side panniers, but love the "2 full face helmet" capacity of the larger Givi Trunks/Top-Boxes. :good2:

Overall I'li would recommend all of the K2 components, wholeheartedly
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Edouard

Continuation
Also, oil temperature sensors and voltage monitoring are installed on my motorcycle. This is very convenient so as not to overheat the motor in the summer

Edouard

Hello everyone Protective arcs are installed. Now if there is a fall, the ignition and clutch covers should not be affected

Edouard

Next, I plan to install a mechanical cruise control (throttle stick stopper). bye bye fitting

JPaganel

Привет. Будем знакомы.

The bike looks the same as mine... :D
1993 FJ1200 ABS

1984 FJ600, up on blocks

1986 FJ1200, flaming wreck, repaired and sold
1986 FJ1200, repaired, ridden, sold

I don't want a pickle
I just want to ride my motorcicle

Edouard

Hi ! I wrote above about the desire to install cruise control on my motorcycle. And even roughly imagined what it would look like. But the idea is not very successful, since it is not very convenient and quite dangerous to turn the wheel on the move. I will look for a ready-made cruise, for example Atlas

Edouard

One more thing. Since I didn't buy a Korbin seat, and I still need comfort on the trip, I use such a pillow on a long journey. At a distance of 50 + kilometers, it really works. Of course, it doesn't look as great as Korbin, but I can rearrange it on my other motorcycles.

Pat Conlon

I use the Vista Cruise type throttle lock and it works quite well. Simple activation and deactivation with a quick flip of my thumb. I don't have to take my hands off the bars.

1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3