News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Electrical (or maybe not) problems

Started by element303, August 05, 2015, 01:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mark Olson

My thinking is you may have the wrong needle and seat. Although they look good to you and fit the hole, might be from another bike.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

element303

well im going to vacation on tuesday. im just gonna leave it as is and deal with it when im back. i would still like to say thank you to all of you for helping me to get to the bottom of this problem. ill find it when im back. see you in october and be safe on the road.  :bye2:
There is no such thing as too much cheese

element303

hey guys. couple months later but im back on this side of the planet. i took out the carbs again and left them a day in pine sol, minus the rubber parts of course. seemed to clean it up pretty good. i adjusted them once again perfectly to the 22mm floater height and mixed the parts up instead of using the same parts in the same carb as before. lets see whats the result after im getting gas and fire her up. either way: just want to say hi to everybody!

element303

Hey guys. Hope everybody is fine. I havent touched the bike in a long time now but finally got the motivation to continue. I had similar issues with my dune buggy in the Philippines and it turned out to be the fuel cock. They are both vacuum cocks. I just want to throw in a quick question. When I suck at the vacuum hose that is connected to the tank, gas should flow freely right?

Pat Conlon

Quote from: element303 on July 02, 2016, 10:45:57 AM
I just want to throw in a quick question. When I suck at the vacuum hose that is connected to the tank, gas should flow freely right?

No where is the vacuum hose connected to "the tank"
The vacuum hose is connected on one end to the petcock, the other end connected to the vacuum port on the #1 carb intake manifold.
Leaving the hose connected to the petcock, disconnect the end of the hose that connects to the intake manifold and *lightly*suck, you should hear a click, the petcock should open and gas should flow.
Stop sucking and the petcock should close.....no gas, not even a dribble, should flow from the petcock.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

element303

Exactly. I need to fill in some more gas in the tank later to be sure its working. I took the carbs apart again right now cause I havent used it in a few months but they are still clean as new. When I suck I can hear that something is closing inside the petcock but now gas or very little is flowing. Thats why I want to fill in some more to be sure its not too empty right now to freely flow. Then I will check again the fuel level of the carbs with the hose while running. Thank you buddy

element303

Filled in some gas, works perfectly. Back to test the carbs I guess.

Earl Svorks

Be sure that the two vent hoses connected to the white plastic T fittings are clear of obstruction. This is where the float bowls get atmospheric pressure. When you have the carbs off, be sure the holes in the roof of the float chambers are open to the fittings that the hoses connect to. You said something about fuel coming out(or not coming out) with the carbs on the bench. The fuel will surely come out those two hoses when the carbs are turned over.
     Good luck 303,,
     Cheers
   Simon