News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Please help on choosing tires....

Started by europe50, November 12, 2009, 03:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SlowOldGuy

Have I mentioned lately that I really like the Dunlop D401 Harley Davidson tire I'm currently running on the back of my '85?  I'm not sure, but it may be closely related to the Dunlop K591.

It's been so long since I've been to a rally, I no longer know where I fit into the grouping (fast, medium, touring).  But around the local parts here, I may not be the fastest guy, but I'm not the last to arrive either.

I paired this cruiser tire up with a D205 front purely by my own stupidity one year when I cheaped out and didn't install new tires prior to a rally.  Jeff and I toured for about 2000 miles the week before the rally and once we got there, one quick trip through Shady Valley was enough to wipe out all the tread I had left on a D205 rear.  

After finding that the D401 was the only 150/80-16 tire within a 100 mile radius, I had no choice but to install it in order to continue to participate in the next 3 days of the rally (plus a potentially soggy 300 mile ride back to Atlanta).  Matching up this bias ply, H-rated, H/D rear tire with the V-rated radial up front was sure to mean INSTANT DEATH at the first kink in the road.

Much to my surprise, after a short 30 mile break-in period, I rode that tire as hard as I did the radial and it never even flinched.  It continues to give me excellent service to this day.  I just love the look on the face of the locals after leading them down one of our few twisty roads, we take a break and, during the obligatory "tire inspection,"  someone notices that I'm NOT running the latest fast-dissolving tread, gumbo compound, pseudo-racer tire that they are using.  "Yeah, that's right, you were chasing a cruiser tire."

My theory is there was an excess of rubber compound from a much better tire line that got dumped into the D-401 molds and I just happened to get one of those tires.  I hesitate to recommend it, as it's not cheap at $130, and they may not work the same for anyone else.

However, if I didn't have a stack of 16 inch D205s and a few ME-Z2s waiting for it to wear out so they can be installed, I'd consider buying another.

DavidR.
Of course YMMV.

threejagsteve

Quote from: SlowOldGuy on November 13, 2009, 04:38:05 PM

Matching up this bias ply, H-rated, H/D rear tire with the V-rated radial up front was sure to mean INSTANT DEATH at the first kink in the road.

Yes, that bit of lore is likely a carryover from car tires, where radials have a lot more sidewall flex than bias. Since bike tires aren't supposed to flex anyway, there's much less difference in that aspect of their performance. Not to say that mixing constructions is ever recommended, however...

Still, it's good to know that it can be done... :)
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

europe50

I just love the look on the face of the locals after leading them down one of our few twisty roads, we take a break and, during the obligatory "tire inspection,"  someone notices that I'm NOT running the latest fast-dissolving tread, gumbo compound, pseudo-racer tire that they are using.  "Yeah, that's right, you were chasing a cruiser tire."
Now that's funny!  :dash2: Great comments.

Fred

Quote from: threejagsteve on November 13, 2009, 07:06:01 PM

Matching up this bias ply, H-rated, H/D rear tire with the V-rated radial up front was sure to mean INSTANT DEATH at the first kink in the road.

Yes, that bit of lore is likely a carryover from car tires, where radials have a lot more sidewall flex than bias. Since bike tires aren't supposed to flex anyway, there's much less difference in that aspect of their performance. Not to say that mixing constructions is ever recommended, however...

Still, it's good to know that it can be done... :)

I was just at a seminar held by my local dealer and one of the presenters was the Dunlop distributor. He spewed all the popular tire logic like run the tires that came on your bike, don't switch to radials, only plug your tire so you can make it to the dealer and when you get there of course have both tires replaced. All of which he assured us if an actual Dunlop person was there they would say the same. As I sat there smiling to myself wondering how big of a heart attack he would have if he saw my FJ sitting on the parking lot, He showed a Dunlop video extolling the virtues of their newest sport tire and how it would make my bike so much better. Now wait, don't I have to buy new bike to experience this tire nirvana, lest I die? Unfortunately, by this time the mostly Gold Wing, cruiser crowd had discovered the baked ziti, so this I'm sure was lost on them. So now they can enforce there tire logic with I heard it from the Dunlop guy. Oh, and don't buy your tires off the internet, go to the dealer.

threejagsteve

I got curious and had a look at the Dunlop D401s.

Actually it appears that they are the descendant of the 491, which was a touring/commuter/mileage tire.

Tread designs on the 491 and 591 were similar, but the sipes in the middle of the tread blocks are the telltale... 491s had 'em; 591s didn't.

And BTW, in those days Harleys came with 491s. :P

Oh, and just to stir the pot a bit... To finish off my wheel mods, I've been casting covetous glances at the Pilot Road 2s. I'll be running a 180/55 in back, but I noticed the fronts come in 120/70 AND 120/60... any opinions?

racerman_27410

Quote from: threejagsteve on November 14, 2009, 08:18:40 PM
I've been casting covetous glances at the Pilot Road 2s. I'll be running a 180/55 in back, but I noticed the fronts come in 120/70 AND 120/60... any opinions?

the 60 is going to be a little quicker steering right off center with a more crowned profile, a little harsher ride on bumpy roads but possibly a slightly larger contact patch when leaned over.... its easy to get to the very edge of the tread when cornering with the 60.

i like the 70....it has a rounder profile and gives good ride... its very neutral from straight up to full lean....i have never got to the edge of the tread when cornering and have no issues with the size of it's contact patch  :good2:

something just makes me nervous about getting to the edge of the tread on the front tire.... rear tire i have ridden off the edge before and it was no big deal since i grew up riding dirt bikes with the rear end all over the place.....the FJ is considerably harder to bring back than a dirt bike but the technique is the same.

but in that also i have crashed enough to know that when you lose the front end, 99% of the time you are done.

you cant really go wrong with either tire...try the 60 then when you need another tire try the 70... its really more a matter of what type of handling characteristic you prefer on your bike....... i think T Roy really likes the 60..... all the way to the edge baby brother! :yahoo:  

SlowOldGuy

Quote from: Fred on November 14, 2009, 11:58:59 AM
I was just at a seminar held by my local dealer and one of the presenters was the Dunlop distributor. He spewed all the popular tire logic like run the tires that came on your bike, don't switch to radials, only plug your tire so you can make it to the dealer and when you get there of course have both tires replaced.

Oh yeah, Thanks for reminding me, I forgot to mention that I have a plug in my Harley Tire.  Not one of those nice dealer installed internal plugs, where they dismount the tire and install the plug from the inside.  No, this is a cheapie, limp home before you KILL yourself externally-installed plug from a Stop N Go Pocket Plugger kit.  I just couldn't let that last 1/8 inch of tread go to waste.  :-)

DavidR.

tqmx1

Dave, It has been some time but I remember the VF1000R had a radial ply on one end and a bias ply on the on the other STOCK!! That was 85/6 how times have changed.

threejagsteve

Quote from: racerman_27410 on November 14, 2009, 10:54:09 PM

the 60 is going to be a little quicker steering right off center with a more crowned profile, a little harsher ride on bumpy roads but possibly a slightly larger contact patch when leaned over.... its easy to get to the very edge of the tread when cornering with the 60.

i like the 70....it has a rounder profile and gives good ride... its very neutral from straight up to full lean....i have never got to the edge of the tread when cornering and have no issues with the size of it's contact patch  :good2:

something just makes me nervous about getting to the edge of the tread on the front tire.... rear tire i have ridden off the edge before and it was no big deal since i grew up riding dirt bikes with the rear end all over the place.....the FJ is considerably harder to bring back than a dirt bike but the technique is the same.

but in that also i have crashed enough to know that when you lose the front end, 99% of the time you are done.

you cant really go wrong with either tire...try the 60 then when you need another tire try the 70... its really more a matter of what type of handling characteristic you prefer on your bike....... i think T Roy really likes the 60..... all the way to the edge baby brother! :yahoo:

Informative and insightful... I couldn't have asked for a better comparison!

Many thanks, Frank! 

racerman_27410

Quote from: threejagsteve on November 15, 2009, 05:51:55 AM

Informative and insightful... I couldn't have asked for a better comparison!

Many thanks, Frank! 

no worries.....this discussion is the reason i upgraded my FJ.... tire shopping is F U N as long as you have lots of choices  :biggrin:

KOokaloo!

1989FJ1200

Check this out--->>   http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=1237.msg10133#new

Just got new Metzeler Lasertecs, well worth the extra money!

andyb

Side note for those on radials:

the BT021 seems to wear well and sticks shockingly well (just take a pass on all the older technology ST tires, they suck!), but the rounded profile does make it a little nervous when leaning hard.

Trying angels (pirelli) for my next set, I think...