News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Please help on choosing tires....

Started by europe50, November 12, 2009, 03:35:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

europe50

Hey guys,
I would like to give some background on how and where I ride before I ask my question. I own a 1986 FJ with stock 16" rims, (I'm not doing the 17" upgrade) live in Illinois (Flatland) and just like to drive around with my music playing in my ears. I don't race the bike, but I do like the occasionally curve.  :biggrin:

Here are my suggested choices:
1-F) Avon AV45 Azaro-ST Sport Touring 120/80 x 16 Front Tire    ~$125.00
1-R) Avon AV46 Azaro-ST Sport Touring 150/80 x 16 Rear Tire   ~$155.00
..............................................................................Total:   $280.00 (Not including Tax, Shipping and etc.)
or

2-F) Avon Roadrider AM26 120/80 x 16 Front Tire      ~85.00
2-R) Avon Roadrider AM26 150/80 x 16 Rear Tire      ~$125.00
.............................................................Total:   $210.00 (Not including Tax, Shipping and etc.)
Now are my questions...  :flag_of_truce:
1. Is there a big difference in how these tires ride/handle? If so, what in your opinion?
2. Would you choose set #1 over  set #2 another in where and how I ride? (I am on a budget)
3. Where can you get the best price on these types of tires?
4. Do you suggest a different tire for my style of riding?

Thanks for all your help guys!
Dean

threejagsteve

Dean,

You're kind of asking whether you should get an apple or an orange...

The Roadrider is a V-rated bias-ply cruiser/general-purpose tire, whereas the Azaro is a Z-rated radial sport-touring tire.

Based on what you've told us (that you aren't a very aggressive rider) it sounds like the Roadriders would be fine, as long as you're aware that they may not be as sticky as what you're used to.

FWIW, faced with a similar choice (and similar budget constraints) this past summer, I went for the Pirelli Sport Demons as a good compromise between price and performance (but I may be more sport riding oriented than you). They also have sizes that'll fit your wheels.

HTH... 
"If you wanna bark with the big dogs, you can't pee with the puppies!"

europe50

Thanks!
I wanted to hear a balanced view, so I may have understated how I drive in order to not just jump to a performance tire as a default for the FJ.
After your last comment about the stickiness, want as sticky as I can (With-in a reasonable price) even if the tires wear faster. I would hate to dump the bike for a $70 difference, LOL.
Does anyone else suggest a different tire over the Avons? Why?

Where is the best price to get tires? Any suggestions?

higbonzo

Dean,

Go with the Z rated sportier tire.  You said you just got back into riding again.  Well if this is the case you will find yourself becoming more and more comfortable with the handling and speed of your bike.  You don't want to get a hair up you ass and run the bike out in third or fourth gear with a non-Z rated tire.  Also, as you get more comfortable with cornering again you don't want to have your ass end sliding around on you because of weak rubber.  The ass of the bike is going to be sketchy enough with that 16" tire set up.  Sure you'll save a few bucks and get longer tread wear from the touring tires, but you will loss stopping traction, turning traction, and high speed tread range.  Your bike will easily travel down a long stretch of road at 95 to 105 at just about 6 grand on the tach.  Not something I would want to do on a tire rated for speeds of 110 to 130.

Ultimately it is your choice, and any new tire is better than an old tire, just be realistic about your riding habits.  It seems to me if you never wanted to go over 85 mph. you would have gotten a Harley.

Later..... :bye2:

the fan

I go through at least 2 sets a year (6-8 if you count track tires), so the way I look at it get the tire that meets your needs NOW. It sounds like mileage and cost are currently your main criteria. When you decide to pick up the pace both with your bike and your wallet, look into the higher rated tires.Plus a V rated tire is good for sustained 149mph running.... are you? If you are unhappy with the tire its not the end of the world. Soon enough you will be shopping again.

Most riders buy way more tire than they really need. The Roadrider is a good all around tire and should work well. A radial tire like the storm will feel lighter (roadrider is a bias ply tire) but unless you are riding hard and scraping pegs its really not going to make that much of a difference.

rktmanfj

Quote from: higbonzo on November 12, 2009, 07:01:18 PM
Dean,

Go with the Z rated sportier tire.  You said you just got back into riding again.  Well if this is the case you will find yourself becoming more and more comfortable with the handling and speed of your bike.  You don't want to get a hair up you ass and run the bike out in third or fourth gear with a non-Z rated tire.  Also, as you get more comfortable with cornering again you don't want to have your ass end sliding around on you because of weak rubber.  The ass of the bike is going to be sketchy enough with that 16" tire set up.  Sure you'll save a few bucks and get longer tread wear from the touring tires, but you will loss stopping traction, turning traction, and high speed tread range.  Your bike will easily travel down a long stretch of road at 95 to 105 at just about 6 grand on the tach.  Not something I would want to do on a tire rated for speeds of 110 to 130.

Ultimately it is your choice, and any new tire is better than an old tire, just be realistic about your riding habits.  It seems to me if you never wanted to go over 85 mph. you would have gotten a Harley.

V rated tires are good up to 149 mph.

Randy T
Indy

Marsh White

Save yourself some coin and get them here: (no tax, shipping, close to the best prices - if not the best)
http://www.swmototires.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&page=shop.browse&category_id=128&Itemid=53

I'd get the Azaro tires myself.  I've been through 3 sets of the AV45/46.

Edit: actually my IDEAL choice would be the AV46 rear and the AV55 front....that is - if available in the stock tire sizes you need. 

andyoutandabout

I was a mega budget Fjer until recently. Even in those days I would always go for the best I could afford on certain things like chains, sprockets, bearings, brake pads and tyres (and regular oil changes of course). Saving money on chains is a fools game when your dealing with Fj torque. Saving money on tyres is not so instantly obvious since, as you state, it depends on your riding style.
I'm sure the road riders are fine, but if $70 stops you from enjoying curves to the max when your in the mood for the next 4000-5000 miles then I don't consider that a great saving. I really liked the Azaros myself, but have never tried the road riders, so maybe I'm talking crap.

My 17 inch wheel mod is progressing slowly and as a matter of fact, yesterday I got the new tyres put on the rims ready for the christmas change over. I could have gone for the perfectly adequate road pilots, but spent about $50 more for the new road pilot 2s. Why would I do this? Well I'm married and I can blow $50 on a dinner for two all too easily and that experience lasts for about an hour. Naturally you usually receive a bonus activity that can also last a bit. Anyhow, it all comes back to value over cheapness. If I divide the potential 4000 miles I might get out of a tyre into $70, then it equals about 2 cents extra a mile.

Andy
life without a bike is just life

Marsh White

Quote from: andyoutandabout on November 12, 2009, 07:27:45 PM
I could have gone for the perfectly adequate road pilots, but spent about $50 more for the new road pilot 2s. Why would I do this? Well I'm married and I can blow $50 on a dinner for two all too easily and that experience lasts for about an hour. Naturally you usually receive a bonus activity that can also last a bit. Anyhow, it all comes back to value over cheapness. If I divide the potential 4000 miles I might get out of a tyre into $70, then it equals about 2 cents extra a mile.

Andy

Spoken like a true math teacher!  Now, have you broken down the dinner cost vs. the per minute cost of the related shag? 

racerman_27410

Andy,

you are gonna  L O V E  the pilot road 2's   both in handling and long life.  :good2:

KOokaloo!

Frank

andyoutandabout

There's certainly a graphable relationship between early evening preparations and later evening enthusiasms (if that's the right word). No one gets much happiness off a happy meal, but a sophisticated sushi produces expodential wonders.

Back to more sobering thoughts. Oh yeah.. those road pilot 2s have the most minimal tread pattern and they even feel tacky to the touch. Certainly not limp lettuce, more full on smorgasboard.
life without a bike is just life

higbonzo

Quote from: rktmanfj on November 12, 2009, 07:14:25 PM
Dean,
Go with the Z rated sportier tire. 
Randy T
Indy

True, but many times the touring treads don't offer that rating.  You start saving money when you get down in the S and H speed ratings.  And it is more common to see 16" tires in the S and H speed range.  I just remember when I had my 16" on the back it was a pain trying to find a tire I felt comfortable with and that is why I went to the 17". 

So, yes, a V rated tire would be fine.  But, you will probably find that a Z rated tire will not cost that much more than a V rated tire in a sport tire design.

Later......

rktmanfj

Quote from: higbonzo on November 12, 2009, 09:16:59 PM
Dean,
Randy T
Indy

True, but many times the touring treads don't offer that rating.  You start saving money when you get down in the S and H speed ratings.  And it is more common to see 16" tires in the S and H speed range.  I just remember when I had my 16" on the back it was a pain trying to find a tire I felt comfortable with and that is why I went to the 17". 

So, yes, a V rated tire would be fine.  But, you will probably find that a Z rated tire will not cost that much more than a V rated tire in a sport tire design.

Later......

This, combined with your previous post, I don't have a clue what you're trying to say.     :scratch_one-s_head:

Randy T
Indy

higbonzo

Quote from: rktmanfj on November 12, 2009, 09:23:08 PM
Quote from: higbonzo on November 12, 2009, 09:16:59 PM
Dean,
Randy T
Indy

True, but many times the touring treads don't offer that rating.
Later......
This, combined with your previous post, I don't have a clue what you're trying to say.     :scratch_one-s_head:
Randy T
Indy

Don't worry, I confuse myself sometimes.  :wacko2:  I guess what I am trying to say is a few years back when I was looking for a new 16" tire for my FJ that I was very limited on my choices.  All the tread designs and tires I really wanted were not available for my bike.   

Later.... :bye2:

higbonzo

I could only find one tire available from the Avon site for the bike, the Azaro-ST http://www.avon-tyres.co.uk/motorbike/fj-1200 , and it has a speed rating of W, so the speed rating point is moot.   The tires Dean posted for his choice of tires are W rated as well.  I guess I just had bad luck when I was trying to find tires for my bike.  That and I never considered Avon or Metzler tires.  :flag_of_truce:    

Later.....