News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

zip ties and tyres

Started by chiz, April 07, 2014, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

simi_ed

Whether the tire is thicker or thinner @center is irrelevant when "The Man" cites you for bald tires.  "Wear bars = done" in my book.
YMMV (sorry I couldn't resist)
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

ribbert

Quote from: fintip on April 07, 2014, 11:20:33 PM
I could be wrong, but I feel pretty sure that most motorcycle tires have so many layers in the middle that even when the tread is bald, it's still far thicker than the sidewall. The mechanic I worked for once mentioned something that put that idea in my head, can't remember exactly what, but something about tires being way thicker than most people realize.

Kyle, whatever it was that you can't remember that the mechanic told you, is wrong.

A bald tyre is scarily thin in the centre, unless it's a tractor tyre.

Noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

yamaha fj rider

Tires wear out that is why we replace them. That is why they have tread wear indicators, so you know when it is time to replace them, if not sooner. New tires are cheaper than falling down.

Kurt

93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

fintip

I wasn't suggesting one keep riding them, guys. Bald = bad idea to ride. I was purely commenting on whether it would be wiser to cut it in half at the center or on the sidewall. :good:
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

simi_ed

Sorry, I think I mistook your intentions.  Never mind ...
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

FJ_Hooligan

You can use an 8 inch C-Clamp and a few scraps of wood (to protect the rim) to break the bead.

A simple utility knife will cut through the sidewalls.  Once you get the cut started spread the cut with your (gloved) fingers and it will slice easily.
DavidR.

yamaha fj rider

Sorry I also misunderstood what you were saying and yes most tires are belted. So thicker in center.

Kurt
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

1tinindian

Have none of you guys ever heard of tire irons?
I've changed several motorcycle tires and never had to resort to cutting them off.
I put them on the same way!

Leon
"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

FJmonkey

Quote from: 1tinindian on April 08, 2014, 12:56:14 PM
I've changed several motorcycle tires and never had to resort to cutting them off.

Leon

Thats no fun...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

aviationfred

Leon

You know how the engineer types are..... :empathy2:..... They don't get to play with power tools very often, they have to make a reason to use one.  :sarcastic: :rofl2:

Fred
I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

Dads_FJ

Quote from: yamaha fj rider on April 08, 2014, 09:43:49 AM
Tires wear out that is why we replace them. That is why they have tread wear indicators, so you know when it is time to replace them, if not sooner. New tires are cheaper than falling down.

Kurt

These 'indicators' you speak of... are they the wire things sticking out on the side?

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

yamaha fj rider

Leon
+1
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

chiz

Holy C
I come back a day later and there is two pages of stuff to read very interesting thanks for all the info.... Going to pick up my forks shock  calipers masters etc on Thursday and start to put the beast back on the road.
Chiz

FJmonkey

Quote from: Dads_FJ on April 08, 2014, 01:38:51 PM

Kurt

These 'indicators' you speak of... are they the wire things sticking out on the side?

These things:

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Bones

Quote from: Dads_FJ on April 08, 2014, 01:38:51 PM

Kurt

I bet the bike handled like a beauty with that tyre on it. Check the shape of it. :shok:
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.