News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

zip ties and tyres

Started by chiz, April 07, 2014, 06:19:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yamaha fj rider

When I worked at the bike shop and one of us who worked there was replacing a tire we used to burn down the old one until they blew. You half to be careful not to let it get spinning to fast or it will tear up the bike when it goes. If you do it correctly they just pop and don't come apart. This is too much fun.

Kurt 
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

Dads_FJ

Quote from: Bones on April 09, 2014, 02:10:36 AM
Quote from: Dads_FJ on April 08, 2014, 01:38:51 PM
Quote from: yamaha fj rider on April 08, 2014, 09:43:49 AM
Tires wear out that is why we replace them. That is why they have tread wear indicators, so you know when it is time to replace them, if not sooner. New tires are cheaper than falling down.

Kurt

These 'indicators' you speak of... are they the wire things sticking out on the side?

I bet the bike handled like a beauty with that tyre on it. Check the shape of it. :shok:

Yea I learned a good lesson with this one... I made it home after the 1500 mile trek, but it handled like shit and I was worried it was going to blow.  The extra 'miles' I got out of it wasn't worth it.
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

Capn Ron

Just wanted to add a bit to this thread.

I changed a Metzeler ME880 front tire a few weeks ago with a No-Mar Classic tire changer.  Pulled the old one off and mounted and balanced a fresh one.  That tire is a brute...I used all the suggested tricks for touring tires from the No-Mar videos and it went pretty well.  I imagined a person would struggle quite a bit using the zip-tie method with this stiff of a tire.

On the other end of the spectrum, I removed and re-mounted a rear Avon Roadrider today with the same No-Mar changer...to find the heavy spot and give it a proper balance.  That Avon has such a light carcass compared to the Metzeler that I nearly could have mounted it by hand!  Popped the first side on and nearly all of the second side without any tools at all.  :yes: A quick roll with a mount bar and it was on.  I couldn't believe the difference!

Somewhere closer in stiffness to the Metzelers, are a fresh set of Pirelli Sport Demons I have here in the garage.

Cap'n Ron. . .
Cap'n Ron. . .

There are two types of people in the world...Those who put people into categories...and those who don't.

wyraider

Quote from: jscgdunn on April 07, 2014, 07:15:07 PM
My next thing to figure out to do myself;  I just spent $100 to get two tires mounted today....seems outrageous.

Jeff

$100!!! Holy crap, that's crazy, I just got mine mounted AND balanced for $20.

So dad asked me why I pack my 45 in the house....God damn decepticons I told him. We laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot it, it was a good time:-) Had to share that haha

wyraider

Quote from: 1tinindian on April 08, 2014, 12:56:14 PM
Have none of you guys ever heard of tire irons?
I've changed several motorcycle tires and never had to resort to cutting them off.
I put them on the same way!

Leon
^^^^^^WHAT HE SAID^^^^^^ :dash2: You're killing me smalls :dash2: haha. It's SUPER easy and cheap to use tire irons, I'm just lucky enough to know a super cool dude that does mine for $20. Bust the bead with a plastic wedge and a hammer if you HAVE to...(we call an 8lb hammer just a hammer in the oil field)
So dad asked me why I pack my 45 in the house....God damn decepticons I told him. We laughed, the toaster laughed, I shot it, it was a good time:-) Had to share that haha

fintip

I just go to the shop I used to work at and use the proper machine, hand the owner a tip as thanks.
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952