News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Damping fluid for fuel guage

Started by Bozo, June 04, 2013, 12:06:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bozo

I know this topic has been on a few times. I bought some damping Dimethicones oil for the fuel gauge but my gauge still doesn't work correctly (bounces). Are there different viscosity oils if so which one should we use and maybe a hint on where I can get it from?
First major bike in my life was a Mach III widow maker.
My Second permanent bike 1978 Z1R (owned since Dec 1977)
My Third permanent bike is the 89 FJ12 - nice and fast
Forth bike 89 FJ12 my totally standard workhorse
81 GPZ1100 hybrid - what a bike, built to sell but I can't part with it

fintip

fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

Bozo

latest, last night I took the gauge out again but this time I drilled a 0.7mm hole below the larger hole and with a syringe I forced the dimethicone (through the larger hole) till all the air was purged out of the housing. On the way to work this morning the gauge behaved perfectly apart from a very "small" amount of movement. Fixed

Arnie

fintip

fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

Antonn3

Bozo, what you are looking for is silicone oil that is available at hobby shops,
It is used in RC car/truck gear cases. and I hear also RC shocks?
Yes it is available in different WTG, as for which ..not sure.

Tony

Bozo

Quote from: Antonn3 on June 09, 2013, 01:05:33 AM
Bozo, what you are looking for is silicone oil that is available at hobby shops,
It is used in RC car/truck gear cases. and I hear also RC shocks?
Yes it is available in different WTG, as for which ..not sure.

Tony

Thanks Tony, I bought some RC silicone oil 300,000 rating (I hope its thicker), there are lots of viscosities with weird ratings, even though my gauges work 90% better they still have a small bounce which I'm determined to eliminate. I'll let you know how it goes.

fj11.5

I can't remember why the rc diff oils are rated in the 000.0000 but same as most things, the higher the number the thicker, shock oils are easier to follow, 10 is thin, 50 is thicker ect,
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

baldy3853

Bozo sorry should of jumped in before about this I have a faint memory of doing this 10 odd yrs ago, Toyota supply an oil can't remember part number but its gauge oil used it on my speedo worked a treat, it comes in a small tube with about 10mls, if what you used doesn't work try that  :good2:
Baldy

Bozo

Quote from: baldy3853 on June 10, 2013, 09:32:19 AM
Bozo sorry should of jumped in before about this I have a faint memory of doing this 10 odd yrs ago, Toyota supply an oil can't remember part number but its gauge oil used it on my speedo worked a treat, it comes in a small tube with about 10mls, if what you used doesn't work try that  :good2:
Baldy

I'm wondering if you are talking about the oil they use in pneumatic fans (sold in 10ml see through tubes), it is a sticky oil, until about six months ago I had two tubes. If the RC oil turns out to be crap I'll get a tube you suggested.
Thanks Baldy

baldy3853

Quote from: Bozo on June 11, 2013, 05:36:55 AM
Quote from: baldy3853 on June 10, 2013, 09:32:19 AM
Baldy

I'm wondering if you are talking about the oil they use in pneumatic fans (sold in 10ml see through tubes), it is a sticky oil, until about six months ago I had two tubes. If the RC oil turns out to be crap I'll get a tube you suggested.
Thanks Baldy
Yes it was oil they used in fans if I recall and it was only about 10mls and red too I think :)

Bozo

Baldy, I got some and it looks thicker (obviously better) then the Dimethicone, it is a 18ml tube, for the technically minded it is 10,000Cst rating. Toyota part number 08816-10001. I'll be trying it this weekend and post my results.

Thanks for the heads up Baldy.

Bozo

Baldy filled the gauge today, here is a photo of the silicone oil I used
http://i1297.photobucket.com/albums/ag34/Bozo36/IMG_3210_zps252e818a.jpg

There are also some photos of the items used to fill the unit. I hope to ride the bike tomorrow and let you know how it goes.

baldy3853

No probs Bozo I think its the same stuff it was used to lubricate some fan on the Toyota and was a very heavy oil  :good2:
Baldy

Bozo

Quote from: baldy3853 on June 13, 2013, 01:17:34 AM
No probs Bozo I think its the same stuff it was used to lubricate some fan on the Toyota and was a very heavy oil  :good2:
Baldy

Baldy, the gauge was fantastic (no I didn't glue the needle to the face) the needle was steady as.
Thankyou to all that helped me with this (even Arnie who helped in the background).
Tony, thankyou for pointing out RC oils, now we know that the rating is 10,000Cst we should be able to do either. I did try a couple of extra things to make this work -
1. I added a small hole below the bigger fill hole to expel the air as the oil was added - slowly
2. Obviously the higher viscosity oil.
3. Before the oil I used a vacuum pump to pump out any crappy leftover oil (don't forget I used thinner oil previously)
4. Selastic would leak after a while, so I used a hot glue gun (only time will tell if this worked)