News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

"D" rod leaking air

Started by mr blackstock, June 03, 2013, 11:11:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mr blackstock

Hello,

I have a FJ1100 1985, and noticed the other day that air was leaking out of the top of the "D" rod adjuster when I pushed down on the forks.  I was not sure if this would affect the fork function, so I replaced the "D" rod with a spare from another set of forks I have. 

How do you dismantle the D rod?  Is there an "O" ring I need to replace?

I figure in a year or so I will get some '88 forks and modernise the set up, but until then who can help me?

cheers, Gareth
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

flips

Hi Gareth

My 86 is doing the same thing.I haven't got around to sorting it out yet but believe it is either the o'ring on the top cap (part 14/53)  or the o'ring on the d rod assembly (part 30/69)

http://www.boats.net/parts/search/Yamaha/Motorcycle/1986/FJ1200S/FRONT%20FORK/parts.html
I haven't noticed any detrimental effects but imagine it could unbalance the fork operation.I'm sure other more experienced fj'ers will chime in.
I suspect that the nut (part 32/71) unscrews to disassemble the d rod assembly but haven't tried yet.I'm curious as to how to proceed with the d rod dis assembly procedure as well.When I get around to it i think I will change all 4 o'rings & get it over with!
Hope this helps a little !

Cheers  :drinks:

Jeff P
Stay rubber side down.

mr blackstock

G'day,

After reading your post I figured there must be something simple I did not see the first time round.  On closer examination I noticed a rusty "circlip" at the top of the D rod, once I got this off the whole lot came apart to reveal an "O" ring on the inside of the screw in fork cap or top.  I took some pics to better illuminate what I am trying to say.

Once I saw the little bugger it was easy ish to get out, I think the "circlip" is needing replacement, should be a cheap generic around.

This fuzzy picture shows the location of the "circlip"

Hope this helps with your leaky D rod, seems a moderately easy fix.

cheers, Gareth

Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

flips

G'Day Gareth.

Thanks for that.Those pics explain exactly what is required!

Cheers  :drinks:

Jeff P
Stay rubber side down.