News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Funny place for fuel coming out of Carb's

Started by thunder1295, May 26, 2013, 06:36:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thunder1295

Hello again, redoing the carbs on a 89 FJ that I bought and been sitting for 4 yrs. Very hard time starting and when it does runs, its just for a few sec's and then dies, plus leaking fuel every time the key is turned on and fuel pump kicks in.
Took the air breather box off and tried starting it again for shits and the 2 right carb's where pissing out fuel not from the overflow lines or the bowls but right across from the main jet or adjacent from the main jet, its just a hole going into the carb, When I turn the key its streaming out like after having a 1/2 doz. beers.
I did the turn the carb's upside down and blow into the fuel line and its seals good so the floats are working. I was wondering what could cause this?

Sorry about the cut and paste. In the pic the part or hole I'm talking about is close to the E.

Read all about rebuilding the carb's  but didn't come across this problem.

http://fjowners.com/gallery/2/medium_10_18_05_11_2_04_01_7.jpeg
Wind in your face and the sun on your back.
88 FJ1200
88 FZR1000
94 ZX11R
95ZX9R

andyb

You mean the passageway that faces the airbox/filter?  There's two, one should have a ~155 air jet in it, and the other is empty, yeah?  The empty one, you're meaning?

thunder1295

Yes that is the one I mean.. its shooting out of there not just running out but in a stream, like a squirt gun...
88 FJ1200
88 FZR1000
94 ZX11R
95ZX9R

racerrad8

The only way for fuel to squirt out of there is plugged bowl and/or choke vent hose.

Garth has the same issue on his carbs last week.

But, ultimately the fuel is leaking into that carb uncontrolled. Leaking past needle/seat/o-ring.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

thunder1295

Ok Randy I will start on the bowls , not really sure where the choke vent hose is, is it one of the over flow hoses?

Thxs
Jim
88 FJ1200
88 FZR1000
94 ZX11R
95ZX9R

Seahope46

Please let us all know what was wrong and how you fixed it. I have a 89 fj and I just rebuilt all the carbs and fuel is poring out on the ground only when the fuel pump is running. Thanks Kraig

andyb

If you just were in the carbs and it's pissing out now, you have a stuck float.  Super common.  Use a longish piece of wood and a hammer to give everything a bit of a tapping, and it'll clear up, assuming you assembled the carbs properly.

thunder1295

Got the carbs ultrasonic dipped and just finished rebuilding them, will be putting them on this weekend.
Will keep you posted and wish me luck..

Jim
88 FJ1200
88 FZR1000
94 ZX11R
95ZX9R

thunder1295

Put the carbs on with a dry synch hit the button and fired right up, ran near perfect, hooked up the vacuum gauge and tuned them as best I could,
turned out pretty damn good.

I have this new problem now since the carbs were ultrasonic cleaned I couldn't take off the chokes without breaking down the carbs, having a very hard time sliding, the plungers are very stiff sliding I can't even pull the choke button out, have to move the choke by hand.

My question is can I lube them with something that isn't going to mess up the carbs?

Thxs
Jim
88 FJ1200
88 FZR1000
94 ZX11R
95ZX9R

Dan Filetti

Quote from: thunder1295 on June 01, 2013, 07:04:12 PM
My question is can I lube them with something that isn't going to mess up the carbs?

Jim,

The choke shaft and slides are external to the carbs fuel-workings.  I'd use a general purpose grease on the choke shaft and move it back and forth a bit to get it in and around the slides.  No worries about messing up the carbs.

Also, make certain it's not your cable, that too may need a lube.  Last point, I have read, but not actually seen, that the slides, through thousands of uses *can* oval-out. If you can't fix it with lubing the shaft and slides and cable, then inspect the slides for oval-ing.  Again, I doubt there is any real issue there.

Dan   
Live hardy, or go home. 

thunder1295

Thanks Dan, I try using little grease and hope they free up, its not the cable the choke work fine before the ultra bath.
Just wanted to make sure I don't screw the carbs up since its running so good otherwise.

Jim
88 FJ1200
88 FZR1000
94 ZX11R
95ZX9R

Tiger

:hi: Jim,
Remove the slide shaft and give it a clean...a light run over on a bench wire wheel, scotch brite pad, etc, will work...wipe clean with something like brake & parts cleaner on a clean rag.

When you reinstall, if memory serves me well :wacko3: , the shaft has indents in it were the screws locate/bite in...make sure the shaft goes back in with these indents properly aligned...you can now add a wee bit off lube :good2:

Lubing the choke/enricher cable at this point wouldn't be a bad idea either... :good: You can probably pick up a cable lube tool locally from Zdeno's in Kitchener or Royal Distributing in Guelph for low dollars :drinks:

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

thunder1295

Sorry I don't think I made myself clear enough, its not the choke shaft that pulls the choke plungers in the carbs. its the 4 choke plungers in the carb's themselves, that have the little springs on them, that or those is what is really sticking since it got cleaned. So I was wondering if I take the carb's tops off and take out the diaphrames can I squirt little oil or somethings else in the little hole that leads into the choke plumgers to free them up?

Jim
88 FJ1200
88 FZR1000
94 ZX11R
95ZX9R

thunder1295

Carbs working great, put a couple of drops oil syn oil on the choke plungers and now their sliding like a puck on ice.

Thanks for all the help.

Jim
88 FJ1200
88 FZR1000
94 ZX11R
95ZX9R