News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Float level double check

Started by Charlie-brm, May 17, 2013, 09:46:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie-brm

That's where I am with fuel level on the two outer bowls I checked in place on the bike with a tube.
It's level with the point where the screw head meets the bowl casting. I measured that at 5 mm down from the seam between the bowl and carb body.

The reason I am posting is I've got lagging, lurching, bucking, etc. when I'm at low throttle, especially once it's warmed up.
eg. residential stop and go traffic, coasting down to an intersection, it's really rough. When I roll it on for higher speeds there is a brief delay then it surges on acceleration I'm off and can pull continuously over 50 mph. It's fine at higher speeds. And again when I'm stopped at idle it's fine.

The carbs just had a total cleaning ( 3 times min. checking passages) and new o-rings in the mixture screws and float valve seats. The screws have been turned back out 2 1/2 turns. Certainly I think it requires a tuning now ( I have access to a synch tool) but I can do that without pulling the carbs for the umpteenth time if this level seems OK to most observers.

If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012

racerrad8

1st thing...

Did you jack up the front of the bike to level the carbs before taking that measurement?

If not, you need to jack up the front of the bike to bring the carbs level, then check the height.

The Yamaha spec at level is 3.0 +/- 1.0mm

Randy
Randy - RPM

Charlie-brm

Leveled the bike so the carb bowls are level front to back, side to side. Got just over 5 mm again from the fluid to the seam. One carb was worse - almost 7 mm.
Pulled the bowls off and put the carbs up on edge so the floats just flop against the valve without exerting weight. 21 mm to the top of the round part of the floats, 23 mm to the flat and square top of the float.

I would have thought at 21 mm the level would be at spec or higher, not lower as I am witnessing with the plastic tubes sighted against the mounted carbs. So now I am confused and holding off for a revelation. Me, I'd do what it takes to make the in place levels right but that could mean pushing the floats several mm off spec.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.

Charlie-brm

Last night I bent the float tabs in an attempt to get a higher fuel level but even a 2mm change had the floats hard against the carb body. As I was expecting, then they were not able to seal the needles so it immediately spilled gas as fast as I could top it up. The floats are going back to their previous setting.

Back to square one and my initial problem - lurching engine at low speeds off idle. What's next?

movenon

Did you ever get your carbs synced ? And fuel / air adjusted ?
INMO if the float levels are close to factory spec's you are OK. Mine are a shade lower than spec and they are just fine for normal riding.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

racerrad8

Quote from: Charlie-brm on May 18, 2013, 08:30:31 AM
Last night I bent the float tabs in an attempt to get a higher fuel level but even a 2mm change had the floats hard against the carb body. As I was expecting, then they were not able to seal the needles so it immediately spilled gas as fast as I could top it up. The floats are going back to their previous setting.

Back to square one and my initial problem - lurching engine at low speeds off idle. What's next?

Something is not right... The float should not be anywhere touching the body at 22mm.

Something is wrong.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM