News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Maintenence made Easier, New Lift Table.

Started by X-Ray, April 11, 2013, 01:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dads_FJ

John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

Stainesy

That's a brilliant bit of kit Ray and now you've got me thinking about it.  By the way, I've had a fender extender on my 3XW for several years and I think it does its job well and looks okay.

X-Ray

Thanks Leon, I've made some enquiries with Motorrad in Perth? as they stock the Fenda Extendas, didn't have an FJ12 listed though. They are available, so hopefully they can order one in, (around $30.00).

I was thinking do I REALLY need that bike lift, but now I have it, and will not be selling the FJ anytime soon, the answer is YES. It lifts the bike to a manageable height, becomes a work platform, stores nuts/bolts from the job neatly, (no more kicking them into the corners of the shed), makes oil changes a breeze, chain adjustment/replacement, swingarm/rear shock work, front susp, all much much more pleasant. Plus you can actually SEE what is going on under the bike properley for a change.

Drop by one day and have a look,  :drinks:

Hoo Roo
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ

andyb

For those of you guys who have these things, and because I'm thinking of making/buying something similar:

Has anyone put anti-slip tape on one, or has it been a nonissue?  I figure once you dump oil on it, it'd be a bit slick for rolling a bike onto/offof, and that's just the luck, to drop the damned bike after giving it a service and being in the mood to ride, right?  Trying to come up with ideas for how I'd make one (probably just a short workbench and a ramp was my idea really, storage underneath and air/light/power drops above), and trying to ensure I'm not forgetting something critical.

fintip

I had my bike on a lift the other day, and there was some oil from the last job... And it was a little unnerving. Definitely something worth thinking about.

Or, just make sure you clean the surface before and after every job.  :pardon:
fjowners.wikidot.com

Not everyone understands what a completely rational process this maintenance of a motorcycle is. They think it's some kind of a knack or some kind of affinity for machines in operation. They are right, but the knack is almost purely a process of reason.
-ZAMM

IBA:54952

Dads_FJ

Quote from: andyb on April 23, 2013, 01:22:37 PM
For those of you guys who have these things, and because I'm thinking of making/buying something similar:

Has anyone put anti-slip tape on one, or has it been a nonissue?  I figure once you dump oil on it, it'd be a bit slick for rolling a bike onto/offof, and that's just the luck, to drop the damned bike after giving it a service and being in the mood to ride, right?  Trying to come up with ideas for how I'd make one (probably just a short workbench and a ramp was my idea really, storage underneath and air/light/power drops above), and trying to ensure I'm not forgetting something critical.

I made one from milk crates, plywood, outdoor carpeting & a wheel chock from HF - http://www.harborfreight.com/motorcycle-wheel-chock-69026.html.  I use a car ramp to get the bike up, it's better for smaller bikes but I've had the fj on it.  And yes, oil on the steel lift makes things quite interesting when loading and unloading, best to clean it up with carb spray or grease/oil remover..

If you have Facebook you may be able to view a video of the above bike (1966 Suzuki K11P) here:  https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3002408718550&l=1461926961069210083
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'94 Yamaha WR250
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'39 BSA WM20

Tiger

Has anyone put anti-slip tape on one, or has it been a nonissue?  I figure once you dump oil on it, it'd be a bit slick for rolling a bike onto/off

:hi: I've had mine for a few years now and never had this kind of an issue. Mind you, once the bike is up, I lay old newspapers/paper towel underneath the motor/work area in case of any fluid spills, crap, etc...also helps when you drop fasteners  :blush: as they tend not to bounce off!! Makes clean up a breeze...roll up paper and dispose of :good:

Once the bike comes off, I always give the whole ramp a quick brush and wipe down...just in case :bomb:

I also have one of those magnetic S S dishes to put fasteners in to save them rolling around :good:

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

pdxfj

I've got one of the Harbor Freight tables as well.  Best $ I've spent so far.  My back is sooooo much happier!  Now only if my garage was still that clean..  :mad:

ribbert

Has anyone put anti-slip tape on one, or has it been a nonissue?  I figure once you dump oil on it, it'd be a bit slick for rolling a bike onto/offof, and that's just the luck, to drop the damned bike after giving it a service and being in the mood to ride, right?  Trying to come up with ideas for how I'd make one (probably just a short workbench and a ramp was my idea really, storage underneath and air/light/power drops above), and trying to ensure I'm not forgetting something critical.

I have all the steel I need to make one of these. I have a suitable jack, wheels, bearings, channel, big mig and I make a lot of things out of steel.

However it took me no time at all after looking at one to decide it wasn't even remotely worth making one, even without having to spend anything and even with plans off the net.

If you spill oil, wipe it off. I bit of kero or petrol on a rag.

Anti slip? Can't see any advantage.

Dropping the bike? You're more likely to achieve this trying to run it up a ramp onto the bench.
Motorbike shops all used to have timber benches with ramps and dropped bikes were not uncommon. Even lost a few myself.

Move it up the priority list and make the effort to buy one. I bought a second hand one for about 2/3 new price.

Like everyone else here, wished I'd bought it years ago and can't believe how good it is.

noel
"Tell a wise man something he doesn't know and he'll thank you, tell a fool something he doesn't know and he'll abuse you"

rktmanfj

Quote from: Dads_FJ on April 22, 2013, 02:12:47 PM
They keep getting cheaper, only $349.99.  I have this one and love it.  http://www.harborfreight.com/1000-lb-capacity-motorcycle-lift-68892-8495.html

Brand new Harbor Freight just opened last week about 10 minutes away from here (now have three within 30 mins).

I was chatting with one of the managers, and he told me that their usual 20% off coupon is good even against that $349.99 sale price.    :good2:

Randy T
Indy

Blessed be the LORD my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
Psalms 144:1

'89 FJ1200
'90 FJ1200
'78 XT500
'88 XT350

Tiger

:hi: Hmmmmm,  :mail1: $349.99, less 20% = a bloody good deal at only $279.99!!!  :yahoo:

John.
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely, in an attractive & well preserved body...but rather to slide in sideways, body completely worn out and and with your last dying breath screaming, "HOOOYA LIFE, lets try that again"!!!

jamesearthdrum

I love mine. One of the first things I built when I decided to get a motorcycle.

peace:)james

"we often refuse to accept an idea merely because the tone of voice in which it has been expressed is unsympathetic to us."
~~~friederich nietzsche ~~~

ken65

hi ray, mines a bit messy at the minute, only takes a while to become a table,

mrtom

Wish I had a garage to put one in! My bike sits on paddock stands whilst I sit on the floor getting farmer Giles! :ireful:
If in doubt go flat out

X-Ray

Quote from: ken65 on May 20, 2013, 05:29:06 PM
hi ray, mines a bit messy at the minute, only takes a while to become a table,

I just cleaned up the shed Ken, got sick of wondering where all the tools were. But yep, what I do now is leave the table in the same spot, and ride the bike straight up onto it till I go out next time, lol .
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ