News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Not another bodge......

Started by Windmill, March 29, 2013, 05:39:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Windmill

Hi all, think I mentioned my 86 was running very rich on one cylinder only. Chuggy low revs as I've seen described on here when idle mix circuit is blocked. Tried the quick fix, blowing jets out/carb cleaner etc and it did improve things. Had carbs balanced but when mix set again still a little rich on right hand carb.

Well Sun's shining today so bite the bullet and pull carbs off, intending getting out on it this afternoon. As soon as carbs were off found this on float bowl :negative:  Looks like bowl has been broken and sealed up with plastic metal or similar. The passage from the bottom of the bowl up through the gasket seems clear but god knows what broken bits or plastic metal could have been dragged up through the carb   :ireful: ................Of course it could have been blocked and someone drilled into the passageway to clear it, nothing surprises me anymore, found various stuff like this on the bike.

I think this carbs a scrapper, question is should I replace it with another set or try to source just the one carb. Are they matched or completely interchangeable? Don't suppose anyone in UK has just one carb for sale?   I'd be grateful for your help as always :drinks:

Windmill

Should also mention it's a 1UX being a USA import, presume same carbs as UK 1TX???   :dash2:

yamaha fj rider

You can replace just one and don't need a whole set. Hope this helps?

Kurt 
93 FJ1200
FJ 09
YZ250X I still love 2 strokes
Tenere 700
FJR1300ES

Windmill

Thanks Kurt :drinks:, just need to find one now..........On looking on the Net they seem to be always sold as sets here - but you never know

fj11.5

have what your after,  but postage could be more than your willing to pay , , your only after the fuel bowl ??
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Windmill

Thanks Mate but want a complete carb really. Piston Diaphragm and carb top are ok so a bare one would do I suppose.  I'm thinking if the clown who did this got any of the plastic metal or drilling swarf in the passageway and it got dragged in and then set :ireful: I'm never going to clear it........ It is partially blocked and no amount of carb cleaner, air blasts etc have shifted it so far. Think I'd be happier replacing the whole carb. Post not a problem though I don't think. :drinks:

FJmonkey

I have my old set of carbs that I am parting out from my 86'. Which carb is it that you need?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Windmill

Many Thanks Mate,  :good2: pm sent but not working too well at this end. It's the righthand end carb as you sit on the bike. A replacement US spec carb would certainly be better than pot luck with a 1TX or 3CV job. Let me have a price + postage please. I'll try pm again but seems very slow this end today and internal server error messages?  :drinks:

FJmonkey

Quote from: Windmill on March 29, 2013, 09:06:36 AM
Many Thanks Mate,  :good2: pm sent but not working too well at this end. It's the righthand end carb as you sit on the bike. A replacement US spec carb would certainly be better than pot luck with a 1TX or 3CV job. Let me have a price + postage please. I'll try pm again but seems very slow this end today and internal server error messages?  :drinks:
Your PM's are coming through just fine.

Windmill

Just thought some of you would like to see this, It was obvious the exhaust had been bodged to take the scorpion cans so was intending changing the system anyway. Have one now to fit, so removed old one :shok: :shok: :shok: Welding looked abysmal but I'd never looked underneath it and didn't hear any blowing. Reckon this should go in the Black Museum, presume they have tried to stick weld it  :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: must have used half a box of electrodes.............they had also hammered in the  pipe to about 1" on one outlet.

Without a word of a lie this bike ran perfectly throughout the range, very quick, smooth, no misses etc, only prob was lumpy on tickover and low revs. Carb is definitely u/s but maybe? this had something to do with it too :unknown: :dash2: :dash2: Maybe the two nearly cancelled each other out? Well I always liked a challenge  :biggrin:  :wacko3: 

Pat Conlon

The horrors of unskilled labor.....shudder  :bad:.
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

FJmonkey

Quote from: Pat Conlon on March 31, 2013, 12:09:29 PM
The horrors of unskilled labor.....shudder  :bad:.
That is why only skilled mechanics should work on your bike!!! I have one, me and only me, maybe Randy..But that's it!!!