News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Reserving tomorrow as a shop day!

Started by Steve_in_Florida, March 18, 2013, 07:33:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_in_Florida

Last Friday, I ordered the following from Randy at RPM http://www.rpmracingca.com/ :

8 Valve Cover Grommets
1 Clutch Spring
1 Clutch Cover Gasket
1 Fuel Filter

Everything arrived today! (Monday afternoon)

I also have the following on-hand:

1 Case Amsoil 10W-40 Synthetic Motorcycle Oil
1 Oil Filter

Anyone care to guess what's on *MY* plate tomorrow?

(HINT: Tonight, I'm reviewing the instructions for servicing the clutch and adding a second clutch spring for my `92 FJ.)

I'm happy that people are (seemingly) receptive to a club valve shim kit, also. Can't wait to get to use it!

Kooky-Lou!

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

FJmonkey

The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Steve_in_Florida

Shop day (morning) has gone pretty well.

Started with the valve cover seals. Wiped off the leak remnants, removed the bolts, cut off the old seals with a razor blade, wiped off the bolts and washers, sprayed new seals with silicone spray, slid them in place on the bolts, then buttoned everything down.

Easy.

Then I proceeded to the clutch cover.

Removed bolts, making note of their location. Removed the clutch cover, tearing the gasket in the process. It was "welded" in a couple of places, so saving it was *NOT* possible! Carefully removed old gasket with a razor blade.

Removed clutch bolts. Removed and inspected the fiber/steel stack. They looked good. Removed and discarded the "assembly wire" as directed. Reassembled the stack in the same order they were removed. Added the NEW clutch spring under the original. Replaced retaining ring and tightened the bolts. Replaced clutch cover and carefully tightened the bolts.

Took the bike for a short test ride up the street and back.

The clutch handle is a little tighter (as expected) but feels really good. No oil leaks. No clutch slippage noted.

The oil/oil filter change will occur later, as will the fuel filter. I had a full gas tank, and did not feel like draining it to replace the filter.

I still have the fairing off, as I noted a couple of cracks that I want to fortify with JB Weld and fiberglass.

All in all, it was a very productive morning.

Thanks to the forum for the clutch improvement instructions. They were very concise and easy to follow. No surprises!

Thanks also to Randy at RPM for getting the parts to me so quickly.

Cheers!  :drinks:

Steve
`90 FJ-1200
`92 FJ-1200

IBA # 54823

movenon

Sounds good. :good2:
I would give some thought to using ABS cement (ABS pipe cement available at the local box store) instead of JB or fiberglass. It is handy to have a few ABS scraps around for filler. Lots broken fairing parts and auto ABS scraps around. Plastic supplier's usually have scraps or rem's on hand.  JB and fiberglass will harden up but not bond well to ABS.
George
Life isn't about having the best, but about making the best of what you have...

1990 FJ 1200

Arnie

Steve,

It looks like you've got one of the later fuel pump model FJs.
If so, you can shut the fuel tap 8mm square on the left underside of the tank and then deal with the filter and not lose more than a few drops of fuel while changing.  No need to wait.

Note:  Don't forget to re-open the tap after you've changed the filter and before bolting the tank back down. DAMHIKIJDOK ?

Arnie

X-Ray

Quote from: Arnie on March 20, 2013, 09:12:14 AM

Note:  Don't forget to re-open the tap after you've changed the filter and before bolting the tank back down. DAMHIKIJDOK ?

Arnie

Yes, this I did just before the Bellingen trip, mentally going through a ckecklist when the bike was back together. Ummm, did I turn the tap back on, NOPE!.  :wacko2:
'94 FJ1200 Wet Pale Brown
'93 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver
'84 FJ1100 Red/White

'91 FJ1200 Dark Violet/Silver ( Now Sold)
'92 FJ1200 Project/Resto Dark Violet/Silver (Now Sold)

For photos of my rear wheel swap, heres the link  https://www.flickr.com/gp/150032671@N02/62k3KZ