News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Eric and Frank go west part 2

Started by Yamifj1200, September 13, 2009, 07:14:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yamifj1200

Thursday morning we were once again on route 89 north riding it all the way to Saint Mary Montana were we had a reservation for a cabin for two nights at the KOA campground there. The KOA there is very large with great view of the Glacier National Park Mountains from our cabin porch. Frank was having some fuel issues and decided to remove and clean his carburetors. Frank was able to repair his carburetors and get the bike running great again in a couple hours.

Friday, Frank and I enjoyed a late morning ride onto the Going to the Sun road that passes through Glacier National Park. Our cabin at Saint Mary was located one mile from the eastern park entrance and we quickly made the ride across to the western side of the park had lunch at Apgar village and took the ride back across to the east side. We both liked GNP but agreed that with the road repair and so much more traffic it made the ride too tourist like. The scenery is nice, but not as extreme as the Chief Joseph memorial highway or the Bear tooth pass. The sights at GNP are worth the trip, just understand this is a very popular National park and there will be crowds there not found on so many of the other roads in the area.

Saturday morning we left GNP and headed southwest on route 2 towards the western side of the park then continued south on to Kalispell Montana. The ride on route 2 on the outside the park was much less crowded, actually had better pavement and was much more fun to ride on compared to the Going to the Sun road inside the park. In Kalispell we picked up route 93 and rode it south to Missoula Montana where we had some dinner and picked a hotel room for some rest.

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

Dan Filetti

I was on many of these same roads not 5 weeks ago.  I agree that GTTSR is a bit overrated, although it it beautiful!

Dan
Live hardy, or go home.