News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

yep u were right

Started by FJTillDeath, May 28, 2012, 09:21:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJTillDeath

I didnt get much time to work on the FJ and I nhavent gotten any extra money either.

So it will stand mayeb for another 3 weeks.

But i sorted the fork leak out at the bottom and seems to be holding up.

As for the running problem. People have been telling me the bike should still start and run even without the exhuast on at all.

My problem is I can start the bike but as soon as I kick it into gear it dies. It will stay on for as long as I want but the moment I kick into gear, boom dead. When I try and rev the bike it almost dies. It still starts fine and everything - well until it dies after starting...

So I checked a couple things: one float heights are not equal. one was way too open and one was too closed - was good reading the files section and being told by you guys that this level is actually important..one of the needle seats was slightly bent in a pack Randy gave me, so I just bent it closed a bit not knowing the effect...also my idle mixture screws were only 1 and inbetween half turns out, all varied in between..

I have been told it will be pointless trying to balance the carbs unless the shiming on the heads is done as I have said before the shimming is out by a long shot...

Oh well atleast I now have a standing point to go by :good2: although i still need actual money to proceed...

Mainly just wanted to thank you guys for the support and the tips. I still have a good few years of knowledge to rack up on carbs and how they work,thats for sure
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling

Dan Filetti

Quote from: FJTillDeath on May 28, 2012, 09:21:50 AM
My problem is I can start the bike but as soon as I kick it into gear it dies. It will stay on for as long as I want but the moment I kick into gear, boom dead. 

This sounds like a neutral safety switch killing the motor because it thinks the side stand is down when you put it in gear.  So I'll ask the obvious.  Is the side stand down when you are putting it in gear?  If not, use a jumper wire to jump/ bypass the side stand switch and see if that allows you to put it in gear and still keep the motor running.   

When I try and rev the bike it almost dies.

This still sounds like really poorly adjusted/ dirty carbs.  If you KNOW they are clean -and many who have 'known' this have been wrong- then, redo your bench synch and set your air mix screws out to 2.5 turns out from seated as a base line for all 4 carbs, and see if that helps.

You'll get this Jesse.  Keep at it.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

fj11.5

if jesse,s fj is anything like my 84 they are not fitted with the stand switch , maybe its the clutch switch  :scratch_one-s_head:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Dads_FJ

Quote from: fj11.5 on May 28, 2012, 05:55:52 PM
if jesse,s fj is anything like my 84 they are not fitted with the stand switch , maybe its the clutch switch  :scratch_one-s_head:

They seem to be fitted over here in the states.  My '84 has one.  Here's a wiring diagram for that model:  http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=6477.0
John S.

'84 Yamaha FJ1100
'89 Yamaha FJ1200
'92 Yamaha TDM850
'80 BMW R100S/Sidecar
'81 Yamaha IT250(H)
'77 Yamaha IT175(D)
'39 BSA WM20

fj11.5

thanks, just what i need to put the switch on my bike, i know the later fj,s have them here, not even the mounting bracket is fitted on the 1100,s here, will have to fab one
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

FJTillDeath

Quote from: Dan Filetti on May 28, 2012, 09:40:28 AM
My problem is I can start the bike but as soon as I kick it into gear it dies. It will stay on for as long as I want but the moment I kick into gear, boom dead. 

This sounds like a neutral safety switch killing the motor because it thinks the side stand is down when you put it in gear.  So I'll ask the obvious.  Is the side stand down when you are putting it in gear?  If not, use a jumper wire to jump/ bypass the side stand switch and see if that allows you to put it in gear and still keep the motor running.   

When I try and rev the bike it almost dies.

This still sounds like really poorly adjusted/ dirty carbs.  If you KNOW they are clean -and many who have 'known' this have been wrong- then, redo your bench synch and set your air mix screws out to 2.5 turns out from seated as a base line for all 4 carbs, and see if that helps.

You'll get this Jesse.  Keep at it.

Dan

Dan you may be spot on with the carb tuning. But for the side stand thing this is my dilema. I dont think I have a switch fitted. I have checked when taking the bottom cowl off and seen nothing. Plus i have by accident started the bike with the side stand down and ridden off like that  number of times and then am reminded my side stand is still down when doing a slight lean :mocking:.

As for what FJ11.5 said, I will have to check that out, didnt now the clutch had a switch too.

On a side note.. I have been going around trying to find someone who can weld for me. There seems to be only one place in my city (after checking at numerous bike shops and asking around and they want to charge me an arm and a leg, unless I bring just the motor in. which will cost me half as much but still quite a lot.

there is a friend of mine who says he hasnt really worked with aluminium but If I buy him the rods, he will do it for free for me, this sounds like a great idea except i dont know if I should trust the guy..
my other option is to take it to a nearby city, but thats gonna cost the same as doing it in town due to the petrol. So I am gonna keep looking for something affordable.

I have one last idea though...

I still have to research it though. the idea is to just buy a whole engine. but I have to fist see the costs and such. If its cheap nough to buy one then maybe I will solve a bunch of my problems at once...
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling