News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

handlebar choke control setting - 1984

Started by Charlie-brm, April 29, 2012, 02:22:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Charlie-brm

The end of the cable sleeve  can be pushed back out of its channel if the ring to move the cable in and out is rotated past its no-choke limit. I can see how the collar has a spring and ball that runs in detents to clue you in to the handle being moved. But on this bike, it's possible when the choke is turned off, ie the ring is pushed away from the rider, to over rotate it and the cable end falls out.

The way this one is set up now, the choke control ring has a long and a short plastic tab. The short tab is at 12 o'clock with the choke off. There is nothing stopping the control from being over rotated so the small tab is pointing to the windscreen instead of straight up and down.In that case once the cable is not guided in the handlebar controls, it's vague to know what position the actual choke is at.
If someone wants to see any images I refer to in posts, first check my gallery here. If no bueno, send me a PM. More than glad to share.
Current Model: 1990 FJ1200 3CV since 2020
Past Models: 1984 FJ1100 - 2012 to 2020
1979 XS750SF - 2005 to 2012