News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

fuse block under seat

Started by Justinhardin89, April 25, 2012, 07:09:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justinhardin89

Hi everyone I have an electrical problem. My 89 all of a sudden wouldn't start so me and my dad got to probing around with a test light and found the source with corrision up inside the fuse holder so we replace it with a board with the glass fuses made sure to hook all the wires up the same. When finished replaced fuses and still no power at ignition used a jumper wire on the new fuse block from the main 30. Amp and made contact with another fuse and lights fuel pump and everything came back on but my ignition on or off makes no difference thought about just wiring with jumper on fuses and putting at toggle to main hot on battery or maybe getting a new plastic block that was in it don't know what do any advise? I've. Already put a lot of money in the bike and I just want her right thanks

soundmindryan

Wow. My head is spinning from the lack of punctuation that just tangles up all my thoughts on the issue as I try to follow your train of thought because I kind of smell what you're stepping in but since you go from one idea to the next all in the same sentence and my synapses start to cross-fire and my own mental fuse block needs to be replaced with another panel with glass fuses without corrosion buildup but that still won't fix my problem because it's too hot in my office and I try to read your post while other people in my office are talking so it's hard to concentrate so maybe if you rephrase your problem but use some kind of grammatical rules I may be able to comprehend what it is you're trying to say and then some of the other people on this forum could also glean from their own experience and be able to help you.
CLEAR?  :wacko2:
Ryan
Ryan McCollum
Tulsa, OK
'89 FJ1200 White & Silver
'90 Yamaha Venture Royale

"I visited a scientist who had a helmet with magnetic fields controlled by computer sequences that could profoundly affect your mood and your perceptions."
-Douglas Trumbull

Justinhardin89

Ok lol.it all started with nothing happening when I turned the key. Looked around this site,and found it may be the starter button. I cleaned it with no change to the problem. I got to the fuses all were good.it turns out the fuse block had corrioision insise.so I replace it with a fuse panel that holds the glass bus fuses. Still no power at ignition. Okay I used a jumper wire from the main fuse to the next one on the panel and b am, fuel pump clicks its ready to run all lights and everything come on like there supposed to. The problem is I can leave a jumper wire in there and ride it cause I get and electrical burn smell. Thought about just running a toggle switch to power to batter but I don't want to fry my harness. Could it just be a bad key switch? What's the culprit? Thanks again

soundmindryan

NO YOU CANNOT JUST LEAVE THE JUMPER IN, ESPECIALLY IF YOU SMELL ELECTRICAL BURNING! Nothing smells worse nor more expensive than that funky electronic circuit board on fire smell. Did you inspect the in-line main fuse? I had that go when I accidently reversed polarity on my battery. I replaced the fuse and all was well. If you replace it and it pops again, STOP and find out where you're getting a short-circuit to ground. As far as WHERE to look, like the ignition switch, I'll defer to the more experienced guys on this forum.
Ryan McCollum
Tulsa, OK

"I visited a scientist who had a helmet with magnetic fields controlled by computer sequences that could profoundly affect your mood and your perceptions."
-Douglas Trumbull

Dan Filetti

Electricity is simple, it's just "a matter of not letting the smoke out -once you do that it does not work anymore".

someone said something similar to that once, thought it was funny.

Carry on...

dan

Live hardy, or go home. 

Justinhardin89

Main inline fuse? You mean there's more than the four fuses under the seat? Where to look?

fj11.5

main fuse should be under the seat, near the battery ?? has a black holder with a flip up lid, attached to a thick red wire,, letting the smoke out is easy, putting it back in is the hard part  :rofl:
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Justinhardin89

Yes sir. The problem was identified as bad connector about a week ago.it was replaced with the proper fuseboard but still wont get for anything without having the jumper wire from the main to the one two down the row of fuses thus I have test rode it a  couple times and it starts burn. I know I can't ride it like this but its the only way I can get juice to anything the key in the ignition switch does nothing. Ive check netural saftey and clutch saftey by tying them together.I've even clean the starter button. Fuses are good can't find anything. Any help more would bbe thankful

Mark Olson

a)the connector under the faring is loose on the right hand side of the bike.
b)the kill switch is bad.
c)something is grounded.
d)none of the above.

get a voltmeter and follow the schematic before you smoke the whole harness.
throwing parts at it is a waste of time.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Brook

....... I went to Quacker Steak and Lube tonight, everything was fine......when It was time to go, I turn the key on, hit the starter button.... nothing.... I could hear the solinoid clicking.  took the seat off, jump the solinoid with the key on .....nothing... then went to the starter and found that the bolt for the starter wire was>>> loose.

just saying

Justinhardin89

Thanks for your responses guys tried ever thing y'all provided. Still persists. The only way I. Get it too start is with that jumper wire from the main. Somebody shoot me anyone wanna buy an fj. Got pics of it on huntsville alabama cl wish someone was close that would wanna mechanic on it.

ally

soundmindryan

At least now we know how to hot-wire an FJ, although you probably won't get far until there's a fire under your seat. :bomb: :diablo:
Ryan McCollum
Tulsa, OK

-Douglas Trumbull

fj11.5

could it be the ignition switch , maybe undo the connector that goes to the switch and use a jump wire there, that would rule out the switch if a jump dousnt work
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne