News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hard starting when cold

Started by AxelF14, April 22, 2012, 12:40:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AxelF14

New to the forum, but already impressed with the amount of information.

I have a 1992 FJ1200 ABS with just under 14,000 original miles (I'm the only owner).  When cold starting the bike after sitting a day or more, it is not getting gas. It tries to catch at first, but then nothing.  If I turn the key on and wait for a minute or so, it usually fires right up.  Rocking the bike back and forth while hitting the starter seems to help too.

I just replaced the fuel pump with the after market Airtec recommended and I still have the same problem.  Just like the old pump, if I turn the key on and wait for a little while it will fire right up.  Once started, I have absolutely no problems with it running no matter how much twist I give the throttle.  It fires right up fine every time after the initial start.  If I leave it for more than a day though it is back to the same problem.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Axel

racerman_27410

Are you using the choke?

the FJ's need full choke for a proper cold start.

Kookaloo!

Dan Filetti

Further to Frank's point, is the choke working properly?

Worth a look.

dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

Yamifj1200

Axel,
Welcome to the group, give your throttle a little twist when cranking to see if this helps on startup.  Were in Va are you?? Im in Richmond let me know if you need some help..

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

tmkaos

Hiya,

i have a similiar problem on my '92 which i put down to a tiny leak out of 1 or more carbs - when i turn it on you can hear the fuel pump chugging hard out to build up pressure. My pump runs for about 5 seconds then stops. If you try to start straight away from the 1st run it won't go. Usually I flick the kill switch  (popcorn) once and the pump runs again for a second and then you can hear the pump load up as the pressure builds before I try to start and that fixes it.

This is only a problem on the first start of the day, once the carbs are full it takes a at least 12 hours for the problem to reappear.

If you can hear the pump ticking away rapidly when you turn the ignition on, possibly you have a similiar issue?

I reckon the fix is probably a day's labour and Randy's carb kit (Randy feel free to plug that kit here, I know you want to  :rofl2:)  i haven't done it myself yet because it's not enough of an issue, but good luck tracking yours down, hope this helps.

James
'92 FJ1200 - '07 to present
'83 VF750S Sabre - '04 - '07
'87 VT250FG - '94 - '98

AxelF14

Yes I am using full choke, and it is working.  My first reaction to that statement was "you think I am an idiot", but it is a very valid question (especially the working part).  You never know with people and I neglected to add that to my description.

tmkaos,

Identical to your problem.  I thought maybe it was draining the carbs when sitting, but when I checked one it was good to go.  Never thought that maybe I checked the only good one and one or more of them are doing just that.  I will try the kill switch idea.

Now that I know the fuel pump wasn't the problem, should I leave the new, aftermarket pump in or put my old one back in?  I'm leaning towards the obvious of keeping the new one.

Thanks for all the quick responses.  I am glad I stumbled onto this forum.  It is very hard to find any info on our "vintage" FJ's. 

AxelF14

Eric M.

Forgot your question.  I'm down in VA Beach.

Axel

racerrad8

Quote from: tmkaos on April 22, 2012, 02:34:37 PM
...(Randy feel free to plug that kit here, I know you want to  :rofl2:)...
James

Did someone mention...

Nope, I am not going to do it.

Marsh is working on a banner ad so I do not have to insert my plugs. I will let the satisfied customers do that when the fell it is appropriate.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

flips

Quote from: racerrad8 on April 22, 2012, 09:12:38 PM
Quote from: tmkaos on April 22, 2012, 02:34:37 PM
...(Randy feel free to plug that kit here, I know you want to  :rofl2:)...
James

Did someone mention...

Nope, I am not going to do it.

Marsh is working on a banner ad so I do not have to insert my plugs. I will let the satisfied customers do that when the fell it is appropriate.

Randy - RPM

What the Fell! , It is appropriate!  :biggrin:
carb kit...http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Carb%3Arebuildkit3&cat=24
Cheers :drinks:
Jeff P
Stay rubber side down.

fj11.5

perhaps a slightly bent float arm is causing it to stick, had 3 out of four on my original carbs doing just that, p o had been in there floats had more twists than a pretzel and were  jamming till they got enough fuel to move them,  (popcorn)
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

RichBaker

A guy on the Suzuki Intruder forum took the float off one of his carbs by un-bending the part that wraps around the pin that goes thru the posts..... claimed the pin would not come out. He was advising someone else that that was the only way to get the float off....   :dash2:

I am no longer amazed at the weird things non-mechanically-minded types will do....
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

fj11.5

dammmm, just a little wrong info,, wonder how many more did the same thing  (popcorn)
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne