News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Noise from gas tank cap

Started by 93fj1200, January 29, 2012, 06:11:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

93fj1200

My bike is a 93 FJ1200.  I can hear a whistle or humming noise coming from the gas tank cap. When I open the gas cap, it stops but resumes quickly. It is like a ringing in your ear or the noise from electrical wires humming. It is very annoying and people comment when they hear it. Has anyone experienced this and how can it be remedied. Thanks in advance for the what tune is it humming jokes.

Arnie

Lots of people have had this problem.  It is caused by the flaps in the gas cap when the fuel in the tank warms up and creates pressure in the tank.
The fix is pretty easy and well detailed in the FILES section.

Cheers,
Arnie

Travis398

Arnie is right, it is pretty common.

I just tell myself as long as I can hear it whistling it is venting. 

Or you could go to the files section (or do a search or two) and fix it, good luck

and welcome to the group  :drinks:

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

FJmonkey

Quote from: 93fj1200 on January 29, 2012, 06:11:09 AM
My bike is a 93 FJ1200.  I can hear a whistle or humming noise coming from the gas tank cap. When I open the gas cap, it stops but resumes quickly. It is like a ringing in your ear or the noise from electrical wires humming. It is very annoying and people comment when they hear it. Has anyone experienced this and how can it be remedied. Thanks in advance for the what tune is it humming jokes.
Tell everyone your bike sings to you. Who else but FJ owners can have bike this special?
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

RichBaker

My '90 has been singing since new, it's a good sign.  Walking thru the showroom floor at the LBS, you'll hear plenty of singing, as well....  It's when she stops singing that it's time to worry. IIRC, the late-model FJs don't have nearly the issues with non-venting gas caps that the early models do.  An FJ that whistles is a happy FJ.....   :drinks:
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P

93fj1200