News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Petcocks and bolts

Started by WhiteBeard, October 23, 2011, 12:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WhiteBeard

Fixed the petcock outlet angle today, it was loose enough to turn but wouldn't come out when force was applied to it, cleaned everything and secured it properly. Important thing being able to ride with a peaceful mind.
However, having put the tank back in place and getting ready to tighten the bolts and put the battery back in place, one of the two bolts securing the holding plates broke off flush...
Now have to wait a few days until I can acquire a screw extractor set...  :dash2:
Its a nice reminder to start changing out the bolts and screws to fresh ones as I move along...

WhiteBeard

Well, got the broken bolt out but removed the airbox in the process. Now I'm busting a hump trying to get the two middle intake rubbers to fit properly onto the carburetors, does anyone here have a trick to this?

Arnie

Back when I had the airbox, I seem to remember putting my hand inside the airbox (with the filter removed) so I could coax those rubber tubes over the carb inlets.
Best trick is replacing the airbox and filter with DualPods from Randy :-)

Arnie

Quote from: WhiteBeard on October 25, 2011, 08:24:30 AM
Well, got the broken bolt out but removed the airbox in the process. Now I'm busting a hump trying to get the two middle intake rubbers to fit properly onto the carburetors, does anyone here have a trick to this?

ninjamuder

i dont have a airbox on mine, so  i cant tell you from a "fj" reference....

at the shop, if i have a bike thats being difficult, due to age or whatnot, i CAREFULLY heat the rubbers with a heat-gun to soften then somewhat......have also heard of folks dunking them in boiling water too, but i have no idea how you would have time to re-assemble them onto the bike before they cooled enough to make the boiling a moot-point :unknown:

+1 on the pods like arnie said!!......besides, the sound sexy as hell when you pull the trigger on it!!
boscycleshop.com

HOOAH FT. CAMPBELL!!!!

WhiteBeard

Quote from: Arnie on October 25, 2011, 08:28:41 AM
Back when I had the airbox, I seem to remember putting my hand inside the airbox (with the filter removed) so I could coax those rubber tubes over the carb inlets.

Thanks, I tried it but still can't get the two middle rubber tubes to fit all the way in (about 5 mm) like the outer ones. I'm guessing they might be too damaged (maybe from previous owners experiencing the same difficulty...), I'll see if I can get them replaced.

Seems sensible... and a lot easier. Does changing over to Dual Pods require rejetting or other changes? Do they hold up to rain and humidity like the OEM airbox?

Anyway, looking forward to soon having the bike back on the road again!

SlowOldGuy

You do know that the intake rubbers have to be indexed? 

There is a small tab on on each intake that is supposed to fit between 2 tiny bumps on the airbox.  If they are not indexed properly, they probably won't line up correctly.

DavidR.

Arnie

Quote from: WhiteBeard on October 25, 2011, 01:47:04 PM

Seems sensible... and a lot easier. Does changing over to Dual Pods require rejetting or other changes? Do they hold up to rain and humidity like the OEM airbox?

Anyway, looking forward to soon having the bike back on the road again!

I only had to go up 1 size 110 to 115 on the main jets and raise the needles 1 clip position when I changed to the dualpods.  I have had NO problems with rain or humidity, and I had one trip where I was in rain and drizzle and fog for over 6 hours. They're pretty well protected in there.

Arnie

racerrad8

Quote from: Arnie on October 26, 2011, 07:32:17 PM
I only had to go up 1 size 110 to 115 on the main jets...

Actually that is two sizes...

But who's really countin' :pardon:

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Arnie

Nice, bust my balls when I'm trying to shill for you. :-)

(They were the next size in my spares box, OK? )
Arnie

Quote from: racerrad8 on October 26, 2011, 08:15:19 PM
Quote from: Arnie on October 26, 2011, 07:32:17 PM
I only had to go up 1 size 110 to 115 on the main jets...

Actually that is two sizes...

But who's really countin' :pardon:

Randy - RPM

racerrad8

Quote from: Arnie on October 27, 2011, 09:09:13 AM
  (They were the next size in my spares box...)
Arnie

Well, there ya go they were the next size in your box; I wasn't trying to bust your chops...
I just want to make sure people don't get confused when they order and there is one in between... :scratch_one-s_head:

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM