News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Ordered new set of tyres

Started by fj1200d, July 25, 2011, 06:45:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj1200d

So I have been taking the advice given to me on here and working on the FJ when I can.

I have the carbs all rebuilt and completed along with the master and slave for the clutch.
Checked on the gas tank over at the Yamaha shop today, they are still working on it, but don't mind since I have other stuff to do before I get to it anyway.
I took alot of stuff off of it today and brought him so I can shine it up here.
I am going to probably go back over tomorrow and bleed the clutch line  and then tackle syncing the carbs.

I also ordered my tyres today! After doing research and then checking around for prices Here is what I went with

Front : Avon Storm 2 Ultra 120/70/ZR17
Rear  : Avon Azaro-ST 150/80/ZR16

Here's the great part.. the price... $284.89 good enough ? that also included Ohio state tax and Shipping and handling charges.. Just for the hell of it I asked my shop what they can get them for.. They said they couldnt touch that price and that it was $6 under what they could get them for   :mocking:

I ordered them from http://www.shadetreepowersports.com

fj1200d

Doing what I can day by day. Front and rear wheels are completed. Checked them over and had the new tyres mounted. Clutch master, slave is completed and fully working. I replaced the gasket under the crankcase, well what was left of the gasket.

Front calipers are apart and replacing seals. Started putting things back on the bike also like exhaust etc.. filled her with oil. Why can't we just give her wine, probably be cheaper  :sarcastic:

Only problem I have run into so far is I am having a hard time getting the carbs to seat back on the engine. I made sure the clamps were as far out as they could go. I had a thought that maybe the carbs are no longer lined up the same way after taking them all apart. Any suggestions ? I also tried sitting on the bike and putting the bootom lip of each carb on first and line it up that way and then try getting the top part in.. I may get out the ruler tomorrow and see how things are lined up.. Getting a litle frustrated over this. I took them off long time ago and don't remember haveing this much of a problem getting them back on.

Dan Filetti

If you remove the two top bolts of the sub-frame, which then allows you to rotate the sub-frame down and away, slightly.  That slight bit of extra room helps -oh so much.

I also recently read where warming up/ even boiling the boots briefly can make them more pliable, and easier to work with.  Do make sure they are seated well.  I just went through this where mine weren't, and it affected my idle adversely.  It was a different bike, but the same idea applies. 

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

racerrad8

Quote from: fj1200d on August 05, 2011, 01:52:58 AM
Only problem I have run into so far is I am having a hard time getting the carbs to seat back on the engine. I made sure the clamps were as far out as they could go. I had a thought that maybe the carbs are no longer lined up the same way after taking them all apart. Any suggestions ? I also tried sitting on the bike and putting the bottom lip of each carb on first and line it up that way and then try getting the top part in.. I may get out the ruler tomorrow and see how things are lined up.. Getting a little frustrated over this. I took them off long time ago and don't remember having this much of a problem getting them back on.

The intake rubber gets old and hard over time. If you had the carbs off for a time like you stated the holes have shrunken. I put a little oil on the intake & carb shoulder that goes into the intake. I take and put the bottom lip in and put pressure downward as I rotate the top of the carb in.

You might need to take it out side and let the sun warm the rubber a little to assist. After that it is new intakes that a soft & pliable. (I have some on order...)

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM