News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Shiny like new

Started by FJTillDeath, July 25, 2011, 09:51:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJTillDeath

Okay so some will know but I am doing what a lot of new FJ owners are trying to do - restore it to its former shining glory. It runs smoothly (well for a 20+ year old bike) but I would like to restore its colour so I have a few questions.

Regarding the frame I want to make it shine like brand new. Would using Silver polish (yes actual polish for silver) be a good idea or would it strip the top layer on the frame or cause damage? If so how should I go about it.

Also after going through the FJ gallery which always makes me smile I have seen so many bikers have their exhausts look like brand new. Perhaps they have bought new exhaust systems but is it possible once the exhausts pipes (from the carbs down to the outlet) have gone black to renew or restore the condition of them? I dare say its rust on the exhausts but I feel that if i dont restore them they will eventually start to rust(i ride in a lot of wet weather and the only shelter for my bike is its cover) Is there a special chemical, is it hopeless or is the only way to make them look like new or close to new to buy brand new exhausts?

I am going to get around to repainting the bike but I am working on a ferring first.
Life behind bars - is actually quite thrilling

Pat Conlon

The frame on the FJ is steel and it is painted. Don't use silver polish on painted surfaces you will rub the paint off. Clean the painted frame with soap and water. If you are feeling brave some paint thinner can be used very carefully to remove oils and grime. Cheers!
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

andyb

I'd suggest getting the pipes ceramic coated.

Arnie

From '86 (I think) the FJ header pipes were made of Stainless Steel and treated with a process Yamaha called "black chrome".  These won't rust, but they do discolor and look tatty after a while.
For all years, you can wire brush the pipes and then paint them with Hi-Temp exhaust paint.  If you do this, you'll want to put the paint on sparingly in several coats and just enough to cover.
Or, take Andy's suggestion and get them coated.

Arnie

1tinindian

Or you could polish them!

Leon

"I want to be free to ride my machine without being hassled by the "man"!
91 FJ1200

racerman_27410

Quote from: 1tinindian on July 25, 2011, 12:19:04 PM

Leon

AAAaaaaaaaa My EYES! I cant see!!!!!!!!!!!!    You should have a disclaimer on your picture posts Leon!

KOokaloo!    :good2:

Yamifj1200

Leon

I wanna know when your going to start polishing stainless FJ header pipes as a buisiness.. I want to be first in line!!!!!

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

1tinindian

Quote from: Yamifj1200 on July 25, 2011, 05:12:11 PM

Leon

I wanna know when your going to start polishing stainless FJ header pipes as a buisiness.. I want to be first in line!!!!!

Eric M
I might entertain that idea if a price could be agreed upon.
91 FJ1200

FJTillDeath

Hopefully the pic works otherwise as seen i dont think any amount of polishing will help these. I think I will take a wire brush and grind all the dirt down and then do a good ceramic coat as Andy said and then go to Leon to get them polished :wacko3:

FJTillDeath

FJTillDeath

Ohh and bare with me yes I know they are hideous and would like to apologise in advance if anybody feels they are offended by the content in this thread :bad:

1tinindian

Quote from: FJt!llD3@th on July 26, 2011, 02:49:13 AM

Mine looked about like that before I polished them.
And once they are ceramic coated, they can NOT be polished.

Leon

91 FJ1200

FJTillDeath

Wow! that would be a vast improvement, I am not sure I understand the term you use as polish tho? I only understand it in terms of making something already clean then shine... Otherwise your method of polishing, would it be using the wire brush first or what?

1tinindian

Quote from: FJt!llD3@th on July 26, 2011, 07:12:11 AM
Wow! that would be a vast improvement, I am not sure I understand the term you use as polish tho? I only understand it in terms of making something already clean then shine... Otherwise your method of polishing, would it be using the wire brush first or what?
When I say polish, it really means it all starts with alot of sanding.
I DA the pipes with 320 grit, then wetsand by hand with 600 grit before starting the polishing using a cloth wheel on a die grinder with the aid of polishing rouge.
It takes a little effort and alot of time, but when done, the stainless steel pipes look like chrome when finished.

They tend to tint to a slight golden color as the heat cycles add up.

Leon

91 FJ1200

FJTillDeath

Okay you should definitely start up a business then :good2: I would ship my bike to you just to have it done if shipping wasnt so damn expensive.

But I really wish I had the tools you do, sure I got the sand paper but thats about all. That is definitely a good job :good2: :good2: