News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Probably obvious starter wisdom

Started by mijohnso, July 04, 2011, 10:31:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mijohnso

I have been having trouble starting the FJ, especially when hot. This appears to be a common occurring with our bikes. Because I am very cheap I took it apart twice, cleaned and lubed the brushes (I have the two brush version) in an effort to not spend any money. Couple of things I wish I knew before I did this:

The starter is really easy to remove if you take the alternator out. You can almost do it without taking off the side panel. On the other hand, it is very difficult to remove if you don't take the alternator out.

Be careful putting the starter back in. The first time I did it, I "forced" it in with the two bolts because I didn't know better. After giving it some thought, I realized I could have broken things that I really really don't want to fix, so if it really doesn't want to fit, take it out, twist the spinney thing, and try again, it should go in pretty easily.

Sometimes the cheap way isn't the best way. While taking it apart and cleaning things up might help in a pinch, within a few starts things went right back to where they were. I finally broke down and bought a new brush kit (aftermarket) off of ebay mine was $27 including shipping. The difference is night and day. Where before I was actually having to bump start it when hot, now it doesn't even hesitate.

All this to say, it is surprising how differently I think of riding when I buckle down and spend the big bucks (yep, $27). I went on a ride with Doug (carsick) yesterday and I didn't even think about the stupid starter.

I am sure all of this is obvious, but it wasn't obvious to me, so there you go!
'86 FJ1200

carsick

Quote from: mijohnso on July 04, 2011, 10:31:12 AM
how differently I think of riding when I buckle down and spend the big bucks 

I wuz there, it's true, cranks like a gerbil on speed. Mike, you gonna tell the good folks about your other quality of life investment(s) on the bike??  Enjoyed the ride immensely, told you it wouldn't rain :bomb:

mr blackstock

I have an FJ1100 1985, and the starter motor turns very slowly.  I have had it professionally cleaned, I have checked the earth connections, I have cleaned everything, and there is only minor improvement.  The bushes have lots of life left, bush plate connections are good, all has been tested with a multimeter.

My starter is the Mitsuba SM229D, two brush.  From what I can tell from all the searches in the archived posts, and XJR starter, Mitsuba SM-13 four brush, will bolt straight in to my engine and solve all lazy starting, hot or cold.

I can source one locally for $150AUD second hand.

or:

From the previous post you came across a rebuild kit, I assume for the SM-13.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STARTER-REBUILD-REPAIR-KIT-YAMAHA-FJ1200-1200-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem53e4cdb568QQitemZ360320972136#ht_2292wt_939

Would this kit fit onto my current SM229D with a little alteration?  Would the wiring still remain the same?  I am assuming that one brush plate will not fit another, yet if both starter motors fit the same cavity in the engines, would they not be the same physical diameter?  And if this is so, why could the brush plate from a later model not be put onto an earlier model?

there is a big difference between $150 and $27.95 regardless of the exchange rate.

Has someone tried this?
Squeaky wheels always get the grease...

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

mijohnso

Here is the one I bought:http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=330553458412&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT#ht_2150wt_939
It is for the two brush version.

Something to think about, i figured out the problem was that one of the springs was not pushing hard enough on the brush and therefore wasn't making good contact. I probably really only needed the spring, but the brushes surely helped. Perhaps it is a bad spring?

I had the same thoughts about rigging the 4 brush version up to my 2 brush starter. Does anyone have a picture of the inside of a 4 brush starter? I might be able to tell from there.

Yeah, I wasn't too excited about getting a new starter (about $100 for OEM second hand here), but I am so glad that the problem is fixed now. Looking back, I would get a new one without hesitation even for a little more money. The way I saw it, i was taking a bit of a gamble with just getting the rebuild kit, but I figured might as well risk $30 to save $100. It sounds like we are having similar issues, so likely a rebuild kit (includes bearings/bushings too) would solve your problem.
'86 FJ1200

mr blackstock

I checked on the link you supplied, and although it is still pretty cheap, the postage is $29US, so total cost is $60US give or take, which is cheap considering the cost of even a second hand starter, but I am still lured by the prospect of the XJR starter having much more "oomph".  My FJ was bored out to 1180 or so CC's.  Unless another member pops up and says the XJR starter will not fit in the FJ1100 block.....I will be making that purchase...$150.

ouch.

Thanks for the tips though,

cheers

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

racerrad8

Quote from: mr blackstock on July 08, 2011, 04:11:42 AM
...My FJ was bored out to 1180 or so CC's.  Unless another member pops up and says the XJR starter will not fit in the FJ1100 block.....I will be making that purchase...$150.

Why would you spend $150.00 when you get get it from me cheaper...?

http://www.rpmracingca.com/proddetail.asp?prod=Electrical%3AStarter

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

carsick

mr blackstock

I just followed the link, and after thinking "wow, thats cheap!" I thought that perhaps the postage might be huge, thats what usually puts me off american sellers, affordable products, high postage, usually it pretty much balances out compared to local companies.

but $33USD postage to Oz!
So total price $157AUD incl postage!

So I signed up to the website and will order one next paycheck.

Thanks for the great tip, Gareth

Yamaha FJ1100 1985

fj11.5

Hmmm , ill have an fjr starter and fork brace from rpm , well a fork brace very soon for sure, , how much better are the fjr starters
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

Travis398

Quote from: fj11.5 on July 09, 2011, 04:27:03 AM
Hmmm , ill have an fjr starter and fork brace from rpm , well a fork brace very soon for sure, , how much better are the fjr starters

XJR

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

fj11.5

Aaah woops, thanks mate, thanks mate, could say typo but no, i stuffed up :)

84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

carsick

Quote from: Travis398 on July 09, 2011, 08:36:36 AM
XJR

Who would have thought a Jaguar starter would fit our bikes? Should have plenty of power, hopefully not made by Lucas.

racerrad8

Quote from: fj11.5 on July 09, 2011, 04:27:03 AM
...how much better are the XJR starters

They are much better...

They do not have the hot start issue associated with the old version. I have sold over 100 of them over the last 15 years and I have never had a complaint about their performance.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

fj11.5

Then i may have to buy one ,after the much wanted fork brace of course. . . . haha nah not lucas, the changed to bosch :p

andyb

Lucas Electronics, the inventor of darkness.