News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Fuel Light stays on. WHY??

Started by CHRISfj86, June 28, 2011, 07:28:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CHRISfj86

Just did some work on my 86 fj, new brake pads and rotors upfront, and it had sat for about 2 weeks while I was working on the bike, Now when I turn it on the fuel light stays on, WHY??? And Yes it has gas!!

andyb

Fuel gauge working or just reading dead empty?

fb747

Checked wires from dash to sensor under the tank as best you can?
Checked fuses? I discovered the other day FJ's do crazy shit when a fuse goes.
Could be the sensor itself?
Life's pretty straight without twisties.

chapindad

I do not know exactly how the FJ works but I know a corvettes very well, and I would assume they are close to the same idea.  So on a vette the float moves a needle on a tightly wound wire and the gauge does a ohm reading of resistance between the needle connected to the float and the wire.  On the vette if there is zero Ohms, broken wire, then it reads full but the FJ may be opposite.  You can check the resistance on the two wires coming on the bottom of the tank.  At that point you and decide if it is worth fixing or just read mileage instead... 
1989 FJ1200
1987 Corvette

andyb

If the circuit is open (unplugged, for example) it'll read hard empty.  If it's directly shorted, it'll read full.  If my memory isn't totally shot, at least.

Rampant_ant

Quote from: andyb on June 30, 2011, 11:18:19 PM
If the circuit is open (unplugged, for example) it'll read hard empty.  If it's directly shorted, it'll read full.  If my memory isn't totally shot, at least.

I agree with andyb

In my professional experience every fuel sender unit I've had to test have high resistance at the empty end of the gauge.
It's something of a fail safe so you don't think you have lots of fuel when you don't.

That's on japanese and aussie stuff anyway, couldn't comment about stuff from the USA as i've never worked on anything other than a clapped out jeep (shudder)

Kev

Mark Olson

yup sounds like the connector is loose on the left hand side next to the battery .

mine was acting up a few years back and I just used some pliers to move the float up and down a few times and it has worked fine ever since.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

FJmonkey

Did you change any dash bulbs to LED? The fuel light will stay on (full bright) if changed to LED, it requires an electrical resistance and an LED is an open circuit. It will stay bright red all the time....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side