News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Carb Sync

Started by chapindad, June 23, 2011, 03:10:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Firehawk068

I use a universal auxilliary radiator overflow bottle that I bought at AutoZone (get the smaller one).
It comes with a hanger bracket, a length of clear tubing, and a snap-on cap. I think it was around $6.99

Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

Dan Filetti

Holly crap those are clean carbs!!

(Andy are you seeing this?)

:)

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

andyb

Damnit dan, I already gave my excu...reason for showing dirty carbs, both to better show what average ones look like and that they've been not run in eons.  Besides, they're like ugly chicks, they're good where it counts.

weymouth399

Quote from: Dan Filetti on June 24, 2011, 11:00:51 PM

Dan

Where could he have got such pretty carbs?   HEE HEE  And they are worth every penny  :yahoo:
Very nice Alan, how was the move?

Bob W
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Arnie

Quote from: Kurt J on June 24, 2011, 09:21:13 AM
Arnie is correct.
Number 1 carb is fixed or set. The other 3 need to be set to number 1 carb.

Yes, Arnie is correct BUT, you've mis-interpreted what I said.
None of the carbs are "fixed".  You only need to balance 1 to 2 then balance 3 to 4 and finally balance the sets to each other.

My point with the syringe was that you don't need to go buy a $70 aux tank with a fancy label.  All the other suggestions will work just fine.  I like the idea of that universal rad overflow bottle best.

Arnie

Flying Scotsman

Carb #3 is the main carb.#1 is set to #2 and #3 is set to #4.Then #1 and #2 are set to #3 and #4.
1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

Firehawk068

Quote from: weymouth399 on June 25, 2011, 07:33:36 AM
Quote from: Dan Filetti on June 24, 2011, 11:00:51 PM

Dan

Where could he have got such pretty carbs?   HEE HEE  And they are worth every penny  :yahoo:
Very nice Alan, how was the move?

Bob W

I assure you, they are probably NOT this clean currently.........This photo was taken the morning that I left for last years WCR. Right after I recently got them from Bob.

Thanks Bob. The move went well. Everyone, and everything made it safe(except for one kid's bookcase, when I fell off the back of the moving truck, and messed up my shoulder)Luckily it happened after I had already loaded the truck, and the bookcase kinda broke my fall........However, I am going to need to adjust the fuel mixture for the high altitude. It idles like crap when it's not fully warmed up now.
That will have to wait though. I am going on a ride in the mountains tomorrow. :good2:
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

markfj

I just synced mine today.  Hitting the Blueridge starting tomorrow.  Had to back the mixture screws out like 4 or 5 turns and I think I might have put some larger pilots in way back.  It seems to run, idle, and blip just fine so hopefully the ride will be uneventful(in mechanical terms anyway).  When I get the time I'll dig back into them and see what's what.  I've tinkered around so much over the years that I'm not always sure what I've done or where I left off sometimes.
So many projects - So little time

chapindad

Those are some beautiful carbs!  I like the aux tank idea.  I will go by the auto store either this week or next and get me one.
1989 FJ1200
1987 Corvette

JMR

Quote from: markfj on June 25, 2011, 08:08:23 PM
I just synced mine today.  Hitting the Blueridge starting tomorrow.  Had to back the mixture screws out like 4 or 5 turns and I think I might have put some larger pilots in way back.  It seems to run, idle, and blip just fine so hopefully the ride will be uneventful(in mechanical terms anyway).  When I get the time I'll dig back into them and see what's what.  I've tinkered around so much over the years that I'm not always sure what I've done or where I left off sometimes.
4 turns out is maximum fuel delivery for the pilot circuit.

markfj

Quote from: JMR on June 27, 2011, 01:28:40 PM
Quote from: markfj on June 25, 2011, 08:08:23 PM
4 turns out is maximum fuel delivery for the pilot circuit.

Duho!  Well that seems to be what she likes for now.  Seems to run right both cold and warmed up.  Hitting the blue ridge tomorrow.  I guess I'll keep a little screw driver handy in case I've got something really wacky going on.  A few hundred miles should be a good test.
So many projects - So little time

simi_ed

Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 24, 2011, 10:07:14 PM
I use a universal auxiliary radiator overflow bottle

I got mine!  Brilliant idea.  :good: Thanks Alan.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

Firehawk068

Quote from: simi_ed on June 28, 2011, 06:09:40 AM
Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 24, 2011, 10:07:14 PM
I use a universal auxiliary radiator overflow bottle

I got mine!  Brilliant idea.  :good: Thanks Alan.

Thats exactly the one I bought!
It works very well for carb sync duties......I prop a stepladder next to the bike, and hang the aux. fuel tank, and my guage set from it........
One thing I forgot to mention......When I'm finished, and drain the fuel out of the overflow bottle for storage in the garage, I put a little vacuum cap over the nipple (so the garage doesnt smell like fuel for a month afterwards) Or you could just leave the clear hose connected, and put a plug in the end of it.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200

carsick

Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 28, 2011, 10:15:52 PM
(so the garage doesnt smell like fuel for a month afterwards)

What's it supposed to smell like, Ocean Breeze? Vanillaroma? Litter box? I personally mark my territory with a bouquet of unburned hydrocarbons. A nice mix is 80w-90, PB B'laster, 2 stroke effervescence and some tire smoke, bias ply if available. A calming sense of place is so important in this crazy world.

Firehawk068

Quote from: carsick on June 28, 2011, 11:41:57 PM
Quote from: Firehawk068 on June 28, 2011, 10:15:52 PM
(so the garage doesnt smell like fuel for a month afterwards)

What's it supposed to smell like, Ocean Breeze? Vanillaroma? Litter box? I personally mark my territory with a bouquet of unburned hydrocarbons. A nice mix is 80w-90, PB B'laster, 2 stroke effervescence and some tire smoke, bias ply if available. A calming sense of place is so important in this crazy world.

I always try to add a bit of Brake-Cleaner into the mix as well...........The best was when my Brother, and I used to "Tune" our snomobiles in the garage back when I lived in NY.
Alan H.
Denver, CO
'90 FJ1200