News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Hid lighting upgrade

Started by fj11.5, June 22, 2011, 10:48:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fj11.5

Bought a hi/low h4 hid kit from ebay $30 with "free "postage  .may or may not last long . start to finish install was about an hour, amazingly bright :) , although i left the duel relay fitted from the standard globe set up, , start up was  quicker than the quoted 9 seconds to fully on , worth the effort
unless you ride bikes, I mean really ride bikes, then you just won't get it

84 Fj1100  effie , with mods
( 88 ) Fj 1200  fairly standard , + blue spots
84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

racerman_27410

what wattage ?

you have to be careful..... i have personally seen one lense fall off the headlight housing as the heat from the HID lamp melted the glue holding it on.

there have also been reports of melted reflectors.

keep an eye on things... seeing is good but not if it messes things up.   

KOokaloo!  :good2:

fj11.5

Ouch, thanks for the info, thought it would get about as hot as the 90/130 i had been using ,will keep a watch on the temp thank you

84 Fj1100 absolutely stock standard, now more stock , fitted with Fj12 twin system , no rusted headers for this felicity jayne

fj11.5

fj11.5

simi_ed

Been running a 55w HID for about a year, without any problem.  Don't obsess over damaging the headlight assy, IMO.
-- RKBA Regards,

Ed
===
Ed Thiele 
Simi Valley, CA -- I no longer have SoCal manners.
'89 FJ12C (Theft deterrent Silver/White)

- All that is necessary for the forces of evil to win in the world is for
enough good men to do nothing.

- Edmund Burke

fj11.5

if it happens ive got 2 spares, no major drama unless it dropped its guts mid corner ,

candieandy

HAUI

delarbreavous

Operating temperature of Halogens typically range from 200-600C (or up to 1112F).
HIDs typically range from 40-120C (or up to 248F).

Alain
Fluctuat nec mergitur

fj11.5

Wow, thats rather warm, new there was a lot of heat with halogen but not that much, , good to know hid are more user friendly, thank you for the info , :)

terryk

OK, I installed a PIAA anti-vibration bulb and the low beam was vibrated into broken within three months. I am going to pursue this matter with PIAA but here is the question. The FJ can bang about big time when pushing hard on the front end. Is a HID setup more resistant by design to this type of abuse when compared to an anti-vibration bulb? Or, as I am guessing, a filamet is a filament is a filament when you pay the fee and go for a better bulb?

rktmanfj

Quote from: terryk on January 03, 2012, 10:19:14 AM
OK, I installed a PIAA anti-vibration bulb and the low beam was vibrated into broken within three months. I am going to pursue this matter with PIAA but here is the question. The FJ can bang about big time when pushing hard on the front end. Is a HID setup more resistant by design to this type of abuse when compared to an anti-vibration bulb? Or, as I am guessing, a filamet is a filament is a filament when you pay the fee and go for a better bulb?

HID lights use an arc instead of a filament.