News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

$@#@% still won't start!!

Started by scarylarry, May 23, 2011, 11:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scarylarry

ok this is what i've don't so far... ('87 fj1200tc)
-emptied tank and filled with fresh
-new spark plugs
-checked for spark on each plug, have spark
-took apart carbs, cleaned and reassembled with ss screws and o ring kit from rpm.
-removed all cali stuff and plugged vacuum ports.
-charged battery
-checked fuel flow from petcock, have fuel flow
-put everything back on the bike
-tried to start, engine cranks, but no start!
-i think it flooded after 5 or 6 tries
-after expletives, called it a night before chucking the whole thing in lake erie!   :wacko3:

any ideas?
i'm getting frustrated..any help would be appreciated!!
thanks,
larry

FJ111200

When you took the carbs apart did you alter the position of the syncronising screws and the pilot screws?

scarylarry

didn't change the sync screw setting.  pilot screws are 3 turns out

scarylarry

this might be a stupid question...but are the throttle plates supposed to closed all the way when in the idle positon?

FJ111200

If you mean the butterfly valves, no there should be a gap. I use the tip of a small feeler gauge just so it will slide throgh between the carb body and the butterfly. It's all part of the pre-sync set up, before i use the vacuum gauges in the final set up. The pre - sync will usually be enough to get the engine fired up.

scarylarry

hmmm....that might be one of my problems, i think they're all the way shut.
i'll have to take a look when i get home.

Mark Olson

don't mess with the sync yet , use the idle screw adj so you get a 1/16 drill bit gap and give that a try.

start with choke only no throttle.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

scarylarry

thanks...i'll give that a try tonite and i'll let you know if it works

scarylarry

another question...if i replace the airbox with pod filters, do i have to re-jet?

andyb

Have to? No.

Should you?  Probably.

scarylarry

i don't want to sound like a cheap-azz, but what would happen if i didn't rejet?
i'm somewhat limited in funds right now, too many other projects going on right now.

Dan Filetti

More air with the same fuel jetting = running leaner than before.  Check the plugs now, if they are black and sooty, then you may be doing your motor a favour by giving it more air.  If they are already light white or white, then I would definately adjust your jetting before I ran it with pods.  If your plugs are anywhere in between, I think I'd run it with the pods for a bit, and then check the pulgs to make sure you are indeed running lean.

As for jest costing $$, apparently, if you know what you need, and others can make recomendations, new jets are pretty cheap from what I'm to understand.  Definately look into this as it may be considerably cheaper than you think to re-jet.

Check the RPM website for prices.

Dan

Live hardy, or go home. 

andyb

If you can afford the different filters, you can afford jets.  If you cannot afford jets, you cannot afford different filters.  Easy.

scarylarry

well..i suppose i'll wait til i have enuff $$ and do it right.  in the mean time, i wanna get this sucker running!!

Dan Filetti

Live hardy, or go home.