News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Ride it in Push it out

Started by gripit_N_ripit, May 19, 2011, 02:59:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gripit_N_ripit

I picked up my fj from the shop yesterday. They adjusted the valves (which only a handful were slightly out of spec), installed new intake manifold o-rings, and balanced the carbs. $350 later the idle was set at slightly higher than starter cranking speed it barely started and ran like crap until 3000rpm then it smoothed out and ran normal (whats normal to me). I brought it into my shop this morning and removed and inspected the spark plugs,ran a compression test (120psi on all cylinders) and replaced the fuel filter. I also adjusted the idle speed up to 1100 rpms by the factory tach. The blip test would actually make the engine stall, so i adjusted all mixture screws 1/2 ccw and now the idle is much much smoother and the blip test results were outstanding(to me). i also measured the voltage at both coil connectors; read 11.13v, not bad but could be better with the relay mod right?. does everything sound good to those with experience with these machines? I'm happy with it so far. Its got 53000 miles and seems pretty dependable.
Curtis

Arnie

Being a skeptic, and believing that most motorcycle dealers are thieves, I think you got done.
Sounds like the bike is pretty OK and that you've fixed most of what the dealer SHOULD have done.
I'd want to talk to the "mechanic" who did the work to try and determine if they actually know what a valve shim is or how to balance the carbs.
I would try and find someone with a Manometer (vacuum balancer) or make one (see the files section) to check that the carbs are balanced.
At 53,000 miles your bike has lots of live left.
Take a ride to Truth or Consequences and have a good steak dinner.

Arnie

SkyFive

I think you and irishluck are using the same dealer for service.

weymouth399

Quote from: SkyFive on May 19, 2011, 08:58:39 PM

I think you and irishluck are using the same dealer for service.

:shok:
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

gripit_N_ripit

Arnie, i think the same thing. I was very disappointed when I picked up my bike and it ran worse than when i gave it to them  :bad:. That dealer is horrible. Not only did my bike run like crap, there were greasy hand prints all over the thing and every time i called to check on it the guy i talked to was soooo unprofessional that it turned into an arguement every time (maybe thats why they did a shitty job???) I do plan on taking it back and showing them how a bike is supposed to run and the condition it's SUPPOSED to be returned to the CUSTOMER. As far as the steak in T or C goes, my dad runs a beef ranch where elk and many other wild game roam so a GOOD steak is only a freezer door away. (popcorn)
Curtis

Arnie

Good Luck teaching that dealer how to be both professional and competent. :mad: :shout:

Arnie

RichBaker

Quote from: gripit_N_ripit on May 20, 2011, 09:24:10 AM
Arnie, i think the same thing. I was very disappointed when I picked up my bike and it ran worse than when i gave it to them  :bad:. That dealer is horrible. Not only did my bike run like crap, there were greasy hand prints all over the thing and every time i called to check on it the guy i talked to was soooo unprofessional that it turned into an arguement every time (maybe thats why they did a shitty job???) I do plan on taking it back and showing them how a bike is supposed to run and the condition it's SUPPOSED to be returned to the CUSTOMER. As far as the steak in T or C goes, my dad runs a beef ranch where elk and many other wild game roam so a GOOD steak is only a freezer door away. (popcorn)

Hopefully you paid with a credit card..... Call the CC and dispute the charge!
Rich Baker - NRA Life, AZCDL, Trail Riders of S. AZ. , AMA Life, BRC, HEAT Dirt Riders, SAMA....
Tennessee Squire
90 FJ1200, 03 WR450F ;8^P