News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Road to Crystal Lake is open

Started by Mike 86 in San Dimas, April 28, 2011, 01:16:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike 86 in San Dimas

If riders in San Gabriel Valley a have not heard, after a nine year closure the road to Crystal lake is open! For riders here it's another close by canyon ride option if you only have an hour or two, but need a fix. Not recommended on week ends but yesterday I practically had the road to myself. I started via Glendora Mountian Road. A 70 mile round trip from there. Enter form AZUSA if youneed to  save 30 minutes. Weather was awesome, road condition was good. Just the typical stones that come off the mountain to watch out for (fair number of bicycles on GMR). Enjoyed the ride but I seemed sluggish by my standards (I'm no road racer). At one point I stopped to check my tires, looked OK. I'm just getting old. At the top there a small store where you can get hot dog and coke, no beer. The guy and family that run the place are very cool. There were few other guys on gold wings and a trike already there. They did not have cash, the store only accepts currency. After serving there lunch he told the guys to settle up next time they come up the hill (elevation 5000').  While having lunch with the other riders I was feeling pretty fast when they started complaining about the cars tailgating them on the way up. OMG. Another young guy came doubled up with his old lady. He took a few pics of my bike and asked a lot a questions about the FJ. Ran back home , parked the bike, about a half hour later I noticed the rear was flat! I knew it didn't feel right...duh. Maybe I should carry a air pressure gauge. The slice, probably from a stone was pretty easy to spot. Ordering a new tire today.
Anyway the road to CL is open.
Mike

FJmonkey

Mike, once I get my fat ass bolted back on we should take this run. I want to shake down my mods before I show up at WCR rally with a purple wheel. Getting teased because I have sissy color is nothing compared to being grounded due to mechanical failure. One way keeps the Kookaloo pumping in my veins, the other, looking up to see the bottom. Very NOT good!!!!
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

moparman70

Mike, by the road to Crystal Lake do you mean Hwy 39 --- so you can go from Azuza to Hwy 2 now.  PS FJMonkey -- I have a whole car that is painted Purple ( called Plum Crazy by Dodge ) and I am very happy about it so don't worry about the wheel you will get no guff from me.

steve

carsick

FJmonkey

Quote from: moparman70 on April 29, 2011, 11:35:27 AM
Mike, by the road to Crystal Lake do you mean Hwy 39 --- so you can go from Azuza to Hwy 2 now.  PS FJMonkey -- I have a whole car that is painted Purple ( called Plum Crazy by Dodge ) and I am very happy about it so don't worry about the wheel you will get no guff from me.
steve
Grate!!!! Now I am getting sympathy Karma......from guy with a purple car (I am sure your Purple car looks fine).....Jeff Dunham is gonna love this shit.... "Hey! FJ MAN...Zeeeeeeeeeeerrrrrrrrroooooooo....(while Peanut's hand is wizzing over his head).....
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

Mike 86 in San Dimas

Hwy 39 still ends about a mile past Crystal Lake turn. I think we are still years away from seeing 39 opened all the way again.
Mike