News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

fj1200 in traffic overheats???

Started by Ratty, April 23, 2009, 11:50:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ratty

the bike runs well but as soon as i get stuck at lights the bl~~dy thing over heats. have you any ideas as to oil or anything else. i know best way is to not go in to town. it happens on hot days mostly.The bike runs ok for few miles, then clutch cover gets very hot and bike just stalles at the first set of lights?? there is plenty of oil in system. and have changed the plugs.and caps there is on problem with the oil cooler, and i have taken off the belly pane to help with air flow :wacko2:

drawkward

With an air-cooled bike you will always have this problem. But sitting at one light shouldn't overheat the bike. It's constant traffic and hot days that tend to over heat the bike.

Two things could be happening. You could be running the engine with little to no oil, or you may have an oil circulation problem. Check the oil though for sure.
My other ride is the International Space Station.

rlucas

Are you sure it overheats? Got a temp gauge installed?

My '86 never overheated until I put the full lowers on. Then I found that the lack of air circulation caused a problem on 90-degree-plus days, sitting in traffic...it wasn't exactly overheating, but the lack of air flow was causing the weeping valve cover bolt seals to begin burning off the small amount of accumulated oil\crud. I suddenly found myself sitting in a cloud of oil smoke at stop lights (commuting in Chicago sucks...).

It definitely overheated...when I finally hit the tollway on-ramp, detonation like you wouldn't believe. Cleared up within a mile, and no apparent damage done. These things are anvils.

Larger oil coolers are available if it's a major concern.

Rossi
We're not a club. Clubs have rules. Pay dues. Wear hats and shit.

"Y'all might be faster than me, but you didn't have more fun than I did." Eric McClellan (RIP '15)

Dan Filetti

What are the symptoms of 'over heating', what makes you think it's over heating?  On my '85, I thought it was running hot when I sat at a light, as it would cough and sputter, turned out to be a weak coil that would start to fail when baked by the engine heat with no circulation.

The specific symptoms would help.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

cadmanmadman

I can definitely relate to this problem. I have an '87 and the prev owner put an oversize oil cooler on it and I live in New England! What would guys with a stock setup do in CA or FLA !!??

There is also a temp gage that the prev owner installed. On cool days its @ 220F but on a hot day it can go as high as 260F and it concerns me.

andyb

What modifications?

What jetting?   What altitude/type of weather (corrected DA being the real question there).

How's it run normally?

Any of a zillionty things can be happening, though most aren't real likely.

Ratchet_72

Quote from: cadmanmadman on July 31, 2009, 09:25:42 AM

There is also a temp gage that the prev owner installed. On cool days its @ 220F but on a hot day it can go as high as 260F and it concerns me.
And THIS is why newer cars DO NOT have the degree readings on the temp gauge. Manufacturers don't wanna startle owners when they see numbers that LOOK high.  Remember, its air-cooled and its gonna get hot.  There is no coolant to dissipate the heat, and so it relies on air to do the job.  You're gonna FEEL the hot air whereas with a liquid-cooled motor you won't really. 
     Unless they start to act funny i.e. show abnormal running conditions don't worry too much, but then again get it out on the open road and away from stop-and-go traffic IF possible.  This is the only reason I split lanes here in Cali (that and I'm impatient with cagers and love to torment them.)  My old 86 used to idle way high once it started to overheat, like 2k+, but that was during a 107 degree day here in the Sacramento Valley and it cleared up once I got away from city streets. So I'm not too worried and I have absolutely no plans to move to Arizona or Death Valley.
Jason Cox
-------------------------------
2000 Honda CBR1100XX
1977 Ironhead
Sacto, CA.

higbonzo

Quote from: Ratty on April 23, 2009, 11:50:46 AM
the bike runs well but as soon as i get stuck at lights the bl~~dy thing over heats. have you any ideas as to oil or anything else. i know best way is to not go in to town. it happens on hot days mostly.The bike runs ok for few miles, then clutch cover gets very hot and bike just stalles at the first set of lights?? there is plenty of oil in system. and have changed the plugs.and caps there is on problem with the oil cooler, and i have taken off the belly pane to help with air flow :wacko2:

I live in Florida, the worst heat problem I have experienced was at Bike Week in all the traffic.  And the only issue I had was my bike started smoking after 1/2 hour of going nowhere.  And the problem was I had just a little to much oil in the bike.  My bike is an 89 with nearly 50,000 miles so I am not sure your issue would necessarily be the the oil or engine overheating.  I do know that removing the belly pan actually adds to the heat of the engine.  The scoop was designed to move air up and across the engine, and when it is removed your engine temp actually rises. 

I would tend to agree with the others, we need more info, but you could be having some type of vacuum lock in the fuel lines.  Check fuel filter, air filter and crank case vent to make sure all is clear.  Also check to make sure your hoses are not getting soft and possible collapsing.  Also, is your carb heat shield still in place?

Later...