News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Went & Looked at the 1985 - Found Somethings

Started by FJ1100mjk, March 05, 2011, 05:30:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FJ1100mjk

Hello:

Well., I went and looked at the 1985 today that was for sale. Pretty good looking considering its age. Tried hard to get it to run, and caught the air cleaner on fire by spraying starting fluid into the airbox's openings. That caused some excitement! Eventually got the fire out, and pulled the fried air cleaner. The flexible rubber booting on the inside of the airbox (attached to the airbox's side covers) got charred too.

With the air cleaner out and airbox cover off, sprayed more starting fluid into the carb openings, and cranked away. The best it would do if fire every now and then. So, no go on hearing it run.

I did note that it had a very bad oil leak coming from the rearward left corner area of the valve cover. The guy had remarked that it "rattled real bad" once. So, I suspect that something may have come loose in the upper valve train area, cracking the head and/or the valve cover. So, that maybe big bucks and time to fix.

The guy wanted $1000 for it, but I told him that I'd give hime $500 for it, which he quickly argreed to. Nevertheless, I didn't pull the trigger on it, yet.

What do you guys think of first, the oil leak and possible damage, and costs to fix, and secondly, getting it "on the hoof" for $500?

Marty
Platinum Zircon-encrusted Gold Member

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Yamifj1200

Id say if its all there and doesnt look to bad body wise you will be ok. The previous owner might not know beans about the motor's noise. It sounds like you have some work to do, but the folks here can help you figure out whats wrong and head you in the right direction to making it right again.

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

racerman_27410

wouldnt be the first time a valve cover gasket leaked on one of these bikes.

rubber gets hard with age so you could possibly get by with a thorough carb cleaning and a valve cover gasket/valve cover bolt grommets.

500 bucks is a great deal if the body is all there in good shape
and the inside of the tank isnt rusted.... everything else can easily be fixed.

Kookaloo! :good2:

Dan Filetti

Quote from: racerman_27410 on March 05, 2011, 06:01:30 PM

rubber gets hard with age so you could possibly get by with a thorough carb cleaning and a valve cover gasket/valve cover bolt grommets.

+1 I was thinking ~ the same thing.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

Flying Scotsman

1984 FJ1100
1985 FJ1100
1990 FJ1200
1999 GP1200 (165 + hp)

SlowOldGuy

If it's got good body work and he'll take $500, le tme know where he is!

DavidR.

Travis398

Quote from: racerman_27410 on March 05, 2011, 06:01:30 PM

What he said.

maybe he will take $400 you better give me his number, I will take the risk for ya.

When all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail.

FJ1100mjk

Paid $500 for it. Now I need to get it home.

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Travis398

that was a killer deal in any country, Congrats.....

Good luck with the tune up.

Dave in WI

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on March 13, 2011, 05:28:47 PM

Hey FJ1100mjk, where are you located?  That looks EXACTLY like the 1100 I sold a couple of years ago, right down the the stock exhaust & flaking paint on the tail.  I don't think the air scoops on the fairing were black though.  I sold it to a guy in southern Wisconsin near Lake Geneva or somewhere.  Ran like a top back then.  I suppose all 85s look just like this though, more or less!

FJ1100mjk

Dave:

I live in St. Paul.

I don't think that it's your old bike. The title states that the previous owner had since '02.

Maybe all of these FJ's black paint on the rear fender flake off alike.

Marty

Quote from: Dave in WI on March 19, 2011, 07:35:22 AM
Quote from: FJ1100mjk on March 13, 2011, 05:28:47 PM

Hey FJ1100mjk, where are you located?  That looks EXACTLY like the 1100 I sold a couple of years ago, right down the the stock exhaust & flaking paint on the tail.  I don't think the air scoops on the fairing were black though.  I sold it to a guy in southern Wisconsin near Lake Geneva or somewhere.  Ran like a top back then.  I suppose all 85s look just like this though, more or less!

Iron Balls #00002175
www.ironballs.com

Travis398

Quote from: FJ1100mjk on March 21, 2011, 07:11:46 PM
Maybe all of these FJ's black paint on the rear fender flake off alike.
:yes:
For some reason that black paint just doesn't stick.