News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Leaking clutch fluid?

Started by fb747, January 27, 2011, 02:44:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

fb747

Hey all I went to wash/degrease the underside of my 89 FJ today to try and locate the source of what i thought to be a minor oil leak. When i started washing i noticed some of the paint coming aswell :dash2:
This changed my prognosis to a clutch fluid leak.

Here is a pic of the location of the leak.

I take it it's time for a slave cylinder rebuild?
Do i just need a slave rebuild kit?
Is there n e gaskets i need?

I just thought i would check with all you gurus before i go ordering n e thing.

Thanks in advance.

Cheers, Ben.
Life's pretty straight without twisties.

Kopfjaeger

yeah the bore on the slave cylinder goes out of round, the seals in it are the same as an fj 1100 , i did at first replace my seals, but it still leaked 2 weeks later. it is a lot less hassle to get the complete slave cylinder assembly... mine cost about 120? dollars australian don't know what you'd be spending. no extra gaskets needed  just pretty much bolt on replacement part and bleed system and away you go. not a major chore. can ( if inclined) as an extra thing to make sure your clutch is completely free of air and reverse bleed it from the bleed nipple up using a large syringe and  tubing to connect to the bleed nipple, open your master cylinder cap and force fluid SLOWLY back up through the system.... as i said it may not be necessary to do that, just bleed it normally like i have and i havnt had any issues since. it is rideable with out a clutch.... :wacko1:  just got to "time your approach to traffic lights.... :wacko2:... not something i'd do a second time....

fb747

Life's pretty straight without twisties.

markmartin

Quote from: fb747 on January 27, 2011, 03:43:34 AM
So ur suggesting i buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Yamaha-FJ1200-FJ-1200-y89-clutch-slave-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a628ecf77QQitemZ250761629559QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And just swap out the whole unit?

Sounds good but i just dont know if it will leak aswell.

It is not uncommon for the FJ's to leak at the slave.  A seal kit from Randy (racerad8) at rpm@swaybar.com should do the trick.  The kit is inexpensive and Randy's kit includes the spring, which the kit from Yamaha for some reason does not include the spring.  Changing the seals is a straight forward job.  Clean up the bore with a little Scotchbrite, and I'm guessing that you'll be fine. 

I wouldn't buy the used slave on eBay.

Mark

rktmanfj

Quote from: markmartin on January 27, 2011, 06:01:48 AM
Quote from: fb747 on January 27, 2011, 03:43:34 AM
So ur suggesting i buy this...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1986-Yamaha-FJ1200-FJ-1200-y89-clutch-slave-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3a628ecf77QQitemZ250761629559QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

And just swap out the whole unit?

Sounds good but i just dont know if it will leak aswell.

It is not uncommon for the FJ's to leak at the slave.  A seal kit from Randy (racerad8) at rpm@swaybar.com should do the trick.  The kit is inexpensive and Randy's kit includes the spring, which the kit from Yamaha for some reason does not include the spring.  Changing the seals is a straight forward job.  Clean up the bore with a little Scotchbrite, and I'm guessing that you'll be fine. 

I wouldn't buy the used slave on eBay.

Mark

Diagnosis bad, prognosis good... :biggrin:

Mark is spot-on, but I'd consider picking up a second one to rebuild and keep on hand.

It's not if they'll fail, it's WHEN.

Randy T
Indy

racerrad8

Speaking of this subject, the kits have arrived and I will be mailing out all of the request units starting tomorrow.

I have the slave rebuild kit as well as brand new slave cylinders. I am not at the shop so I don't have the price available.

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM