News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Fuel gauge issue, needle is on wrong side of the stop pin

Started by scapello, April 12, 2009, 12:55:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scapello

I added a stop pin to mine. Piece of guitar string cut to length heated over a flame and basically melted in place at approximately the same position as the lower level stop pin. It looks like factory and works like a charm. The bouncing is still annoying but I know how to fix that now when I take the cluster out the next time.
I tried to take a picture but it isn't coming out right.

Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

Mike 86 in San Dimas

I'm gonna get it for this.....I bought a new fuel gauge and it works great. I did the fluid replacement but I probably overfilled it. It worked OK but oil started leaking through the front of the gauge. I think the new gauge was $120. I think there is a file on how to do the repiar on the Yahoo FJ owners forum
Mike

Kopfjaeger

cheers!!! i couldnt work out why my fuel gauge was dancing its own tune in my housing, and it did go past the stop, i just took the cluster apart and pushed the needle by finger( my bad) but it worked, thought the gauge bouncing was due to fuel sensor sensitivity,( which it is) but the lack of fluid makes more sense.  :good2:

davehorton

I had the original poster's problem, the needle was the wrong side the stop pin when I bought the bike.

I bought some silicone fluid ready to drill and fill, but when I took the gauge apart, I couldn't tease the windings enough to get a clear space to drill, per the photos and instructions on the Yahoo FJ board, so I did what another poster here did and put a stop pin in at the full end.

I took some photos and posted on the yahoo board files section.

Since then, I have not seen the needle vibrating, I have no clue why that problem went away!

...Though I look old, yet I am strong and lusty.
W. Shakespeare, As You Like It, Act II, Scene III

scapello

Steffen

'89 FJ1200
'76 CB750Four
'74 RD250

TMadlem84

So what part am I drilling to add the oil to?  I pulled the metal housing off... is it the TINY off-white peice of plastic behind the gauge where the shaft which turns the needle goes into?