News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

Charging Question

Started by Lotsokids, October 26, 2010, 09:00:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lotsokids

Since I've bought my bike, it's harder to start when the engine is warm or hot. But when it's cold - regardless of temperature it seems - she cranks right up instantly. Sometimes when I get stuck in traffic and the engine heats up, then I shut it down to enter a store or something, it will turn over about twice, then it REALLY turns over slowly, if at all. I've put the battery on a charge, and at it's worst, it shows 1/2 charge available. I've checked the voltage with the bike at idle, and I'm showing 13.5 volts. So the charging system is good. Should I consider changing the battery? It seems strange that a battery would give those symptoms.

Thanks in advance for your advice!
U.S. Air Force sport bike instructor (initial cadre), 2007-2009

I'm an American living & working in Hungary

Dan Filetti

The FJ likes a good strong battery.  If the battery is more than say 3 years old, I'd replace it anyway.  Also, a lot of folks use the 'crack the throttle a bit while cranking when hot' method. Seems to help.  I'm not 100% sure why, -maybe the additional fuel reduces some friction? 

If these two things do not help, then you'll need to service your starter.  I'm pretty sure if you use the search feature, you can find out hints tips and tricks for cleaning it up, rewinding, whatever needs to be done there...

Cheers.

Dan
Live hardy, or go home. 

FJmonkey

Quote from: Dan Filetti on October 26, 2010, 12:02:25 PM
If these two things do not help, then you'll need to service your starter.  I'm pretty sure if you use the search feature, you can find out hints tips and tricks for cleaning it up, rewinding, whatever needs to be done there...

Cheers.

Dan

I hear the FJR starter will fit and spins stronger...
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

carsick

Quote from: FJmonkey on October 26, 2010, 06:55:59 PM
I hear the FJR starter will fit and spins stronger...

I think XJR, not FJR. Please correct me if I'm wrong...