News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Touring with 20bhp (No FJ content)

Started by mz_rider, July 18, 2010, 10:37:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mz_rider

Dear All,

Just back from a quick camping trip to the village of Dent in Cumbria in North-west England. Because this was a short trip (400 miles) I left the FJs at home and took my little Honda CBF250. I bought this bike a year ago and have only used it for commuting across town to work so it was time the little fellow saw the big wide world. The bike was good fun on the back roads but ran out of puff on the fast ones. Economy was amazing - 85mpg (big imperial gals) 

England's green & pleasant land – Dentdale, Cumbria

The Sun provided steak & beers

Camp site.

Stuart (Glasgow, Scotland)

Yamifj1200

Stuart, you sure live in a beautiful county. Thanks for sharing your trip and for the pictures. Its true you can have a blast on a smaller bike.

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

mz_rider

Quote from: Yamifj1200 on July 18, 2010, 03:52:44 PM
Stuart, you sure live in a beautiful county. Thanks for sharing your trip and for the pictures. Its true you can have a blast on a smaller bike.

Eric M

Eric,

Beautiful yes – but I didn't include any pictures of me battling through the lashing rain & gales today! It is a different experience riding a distance on a small bike. It's easier to throw about on the twisty roads but you have to concentrate more on keeping the revs up.

Stuart

Yamifj1200

"Beautiful yes – but I didn't include any pictures of me battling through the lashing rain & gales today! It is a different experience riding a distance on a small bike. It's easier to throw about on the twisty roads but you have to concentrate more on keeping the revs up."

I hear you on dealing with the weather, but thats part of the game too isnt it. I have a little xt350 that we ride up in the mountains and I get a real kick out of running it hard on a twisty mountain road. I have always thought it was more fun to ride a slow bike fast than a fast bike slow. Plus it itakes me back to the days when bike didnt have great tires, suspension and brakes. Its a hoot crossing the valley at 80mph with that little bike jumping around under me.. I just end up grinning from ear to ear with Calvin and Frank when we ride up there.

Eric M

http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?topic=14833.0

"All unattended children will be served an espresso and given a puppy"

racerman_27410

the little bike that could ......    :good2:

must have been some hellacious storms for there not to be more scenery shots     :shok:

i always enjoy your photography Stu.

KOokaloo!

Frank

mz_rider

Quote from: racerman_27410 on July 18, 2010, 06:01:50 PM
the little bike that could ......    :good2:

must have been some hellacious storms for there not to be more scenery shots     :shok:

i always enjoy your photography Stu.

KOokaloo!

Frank

Frank,

Just a bit of drizzle with some heavy showers but also some sun. Typical northern Britain – four seasons in one day - nothing to worry a Scotsman. You're encouraging me so here another pic from my travels. The Temperance Hall in Kirkby Stephen, Cumbria. The property is for sale so it seems that there's not much call for temperance in these parts now.

Stuart

mz_rider

Oops, shouldn't be posting after a few Stolichnayas - try again.

Stuart

racerman_27410

Quote from: mz_rider on July 18, 2010, 06:33:15 PM
Oops, shouldn't be posting after a few Stolichnayas - try again.

Stuart

not much call for temperence LMAO....   :biggrin:

that is a very interesting building..... pink granite ?

i see your pink building and raise you a pink elephant ! :good2:

Kookaloo my friend!

Frank

hairless biker

:i_am_so_happy: Hi stuart glad you enjoyed you 400 mile trip bet you got a blast. Myself and a couple of mates or coming over to do a trip of scotland and hopefully cover some of the lake district me on my fj and the others well what can i say 1 has 650 honda transalp putting very respectable mpg,s and the other riding a honda varadero covering little or maybe more mpg,s than the heavier fj, but hell when tripping it dosn,t matter because your having a real ball scoffing and all the rest. The olny thing we need now is the weather to get a little better because it can any worse he! he!  so here,s to us hopefully having as good a time as yourself let you know mpg average after trip, Trip taking place from 11th August until following 18th yours
hairless biker :dance:
hairless biker

91 FJ1200ABS

mz_rider

Quote from: hairless biker on July 28, 2010, 03:58:10 PM
:i_am_so_happy: Hi stuart glad you enjoyed you 400 mile trip bet you got a blast. Myself and a couple of mates or coming over to do a trip of scotland and hopefully cover some of the lake district me on my fj and the others well what can i say 1 has 650 honda transalp putting very respectable mpg,s and the other riding a honda varadero covering little or maybe more mpg,s than the heavier fj, but hell when tripping it dosn,t matter because your having a real ball scoffing and all the rest. The olny thing we need now is the weather to get a little better because it can any worse he! he!  so here,s to us hopefully having as good a time as yourself let you know mpg average after trip, Trip taking place from 11th August until following 18th yours
hairless biker :dance:

Hairless,

Have a good trip and post a report with pictures. Best of luck with the weather and remember the insect spray!

The weather was nice today so I took a run up to the West Highlands. The main roads north (Loch Lomond/Glencoe) were choked with tourists so I jumped on the Coran ferry to the peninsular to get some quiet roads. My excuse to post another pic - the FJ at Loch Moidart today.

Stuart