News:

Enjoy your FJ

Main Menu

possible slipping clutch

Started by Striker, July 15, 2010, 04:28:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Striker

Hey I have a possible issue with my clutch. When accelerating fairly hard in second and occasionally third once I get to 6400 to 6500 rpm it seems to slip and revs up. If I let up on the throttle a little it seems to catch again then can accelerate slower all the way up to redline. Doesn't pop out of gear just seems to lose it for a moment. Was curious if this is that slipping clutch issue?
Old enough to know better young enough to do it anyway!

andyb

If the bike tries to wiggle at the hips when it happens, it's tire spin.

If not, sure sounds like a slipping clutch.

weymouth399

My 86 did a similar thing and I replaced the slave cly (real dirty Fluid) with a late model take off, doesn't slip any more.But I'm still getting dirty fluid so master is next but to close to the rally to open that can of worms.
Hope this helps
Bob
84 FJ 1100
86 FJ1200
89 FJ1200
5  FJ POWERED race cars
76 LB80 Chappy
93 KX500 ice for sale
00 KX500 ice/dirt
04 KDX220 dirt for sale
04 KX500 ice
08 KLX450 ice/road
72 CT90x2 for sale

Shaun

Sounds exactly like the problem I had with mine this spring, and yep the clutch was the issue for me.

racerrad8

Quote from: Striker on July 15, 2010, 04:28:46 AM
Hey I have a possible issue with my clutch. When accelerating fairly hard in second and occasionally third once I get to 6400 to 6500 rpm it seems to slip and revs up. If I let up on the throttle a little it seems to catch again then can accelerate slower all the way up to redline. Doesn't pop out of gear just seems to lose it for a moment. Was curious if this is that slipping clutch issue?

And all of the information about clutches can be found here; http://www.fjowners.com/index.php?board=51.0

Randy - RPM
Randy - RPM

Mark Olson

yes that is clutch slip, most likely a weak clutch spring.

the short answer is check your clutch pack for burnt discs and steels and if ok add a second spring for the tension.
Mark O.
86 fj1200
sac ca.

" Get off your ass and Ride"

Striker

Okay that's what I thought it may be but thought I would get a consensus before tearing into the clutch. Just changed the clutch fluid and it was black as coal. Now to check clutch pack and add a spring.
Old enough to know better young enough to do it anyway!