News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

2 84 Fj1100's for me as of today.

Started by Lloyd Van Duzen, June 18, 2024, 10:23:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Van Duzen

I love these bikes and now own 2 of them as of today and of course a service manual too.

It's been 25 yrs since I had bikes.  I'm in Central Ontario and will be learning about these bikes as I go.
I just wanted to say Hi to others here and say thanks in advance to those who post help and offer advice and expertise to those of us who are still learning about these FJ 1100 bikes.  Lloyd.
1984 Fj 1100

Pat Conlon

Welcome Lloyd! Are both FJ's running? What are your plans with them?

Cheers

Pat Conlon
1) Free Owners Manual download: https://tinyurl.com/fmsz7hk9
2) Don't store your FJ with E10 fuel https://tinyurl.com/3cjrfct5
3) Replace your old stock rubber brake lines.
4) Important items for the '84-87 FJ's:
Safety wire: https://tinyurl.com/99zp8ufh
Fuel line: https://tinyurl.com/bdff9bf3

Lloyd Van Duzen

Hi Pat. Yes first one is black, bought it in certifiable condition with 75k on the gauge. I had to fix exhaust manifold where the Vance and Hines header bolts on. One stripped stud and one stud completely missing. I test drove on 10km trip. Ran and sounded awesome when I left. I turned around and was making horrible knocking noise and I thought the engine was about to fail catastrophically but drove it home and found the manifold stud problems.  I machined a oversized stud for the stripped threads and replaced the Healey Coil and stud, hopefully it will last.  The other missing stud I found in the crevice of the four header pipes where the meet into one. I put it back in too but a loose fit because of bad threads too.  I put full strength loc tite on both bad studs and it's been sitting beside my other burgandy fj in My garage since. Bonus... The black fj came with extra parts that I have been fixing my burgandy fj with.

My burgandy Fj has 42km on the gauge and is in somewhat rough shape. I ended up buying it outright after bickering and back and forth about trading my 99 kawi klr 250 for it.  The owner low balled me on it's value so I decided to outright buy the fj from him. The bike is fully intact with all parts and good tires on it, it was dirty, grimey from sitting who knows how long. Has cracked front cowling and the fork seals have leaked before. The gas tank needs the slight surface rust swished out and the petcock asmbly put back on, which I have three of from the parts with the black fj.

So the last three days of my week off work I started cleaning it under the tank, carbs off and cleaned up, starter taken out, cleaned up and armature ends greased, complete refurbish of front brakes, MC and both calipers taken apart and cleaned up.  I got front brakes working, but bit spongy on the lever but will bleed them again.

Yesterday I put the carb rack back on and poured some mixed gas in the main fuel feed hose, choked it and it fired up! Runs rough but stays running with the choke on.  Some engine noises and rattle and smoked me outta the garage for 15 minutes to clear the air. But it's running and it gave me hope to get it up and running good down the road.

It probably needs valve clearance checked and I got parts for that too...  Today I spent all day trying to get the clutch working to no avail... slave taken off cleaned and put back on, Clutch MC off and on 50 times trying out the extra parts to no avail either! Cleaning and restoring with what I had to work with. Came in the house tonite and ordered a MC kit and slave kit and new clutch lever and fork seals online.

Ya Pat I havn't had bikes in 25 yrs, had six at once and now again I have three of them.... and.... three sleds, one in the garage being built too... and... two four wheelers.... and... a full time job, a wife and family all putting demands on my time and finances that seem to cut into my small engine building and fixing time. Let me tell ya it's pretty precious at times too!

***Tip*** If you have a mini metal lathe like I do, take your brake calipers and grip the inside of the piston with the chuck jaws, clamp them tight and with a flat screw driver, you can gently pry out the piston while spinning around by hand.  Works great with no damage, just watch the machined surfaces on the mating halves of the calipers don't get scored on your lathe chuck while clamping it.

Thank's for the introduction Pat, I will check in again this week some time. Lloyd.
1984 Fj 1100