News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Starter slow on hot starts.

Started by Ted Schefelbein, May 03, 2024, 09:02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JMR

Quote from: fj1289 on May 04, 2024, 12:36:48 PMWell, I was going to recommend you contact Paul Cashio about his "super starter" mod - but, while searching for his website I discovered he passed away in 2021. That sucks

Also - at least you have the option to push start if it comes to that. 

I was thinking of him the other day after looking at his sticker on one of my tool boxes. Paul was a good guy....did some Suzuki starters for me about 15 years ago. They worked great with large displacement high compression engines.

Ted Schefelbein

Well, it showed up a few days ago. Hard to beat NOS and it is the improved four pole starter from the XJR1300.

Solenoid should be here Thursday.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200

petetb154

I was having slow start issues on my 87 too. I had installed an RPM 4 brush starter in 2011. That worked wonders. But over the years of sporadic use since then, the starter began turning over very slow again. I thought the battery was weak, so I replaced that.. Still slow. Assumed corroded terminals, cleaned all that, same issue. Replaced solenoid, helped a little but not much. Finally decided to take the starter apart and clean the commutator, assuming that it was corroded.

Thats when I found this!

A broken wire on the armature.

I made a half ass attempt at repair it using a couple strands of magnet wire. Emphasis on half-ass, so don't laugh. Didnt work.

I didnt try very hard because I saw that I could get a grimy XJR1300 starter for $30 from Germany on ebay

Once the new old starter arrived, I robbed the armature out of it and put it in my nice and clean starter case and ta-da! I have a fast spinning starter again!
Brian Peterson
1987 FJ1200

Ted Schefelbein

I installed a new RPM solenoid, the battery is new, and the four pole starter that was slated for an XJR1300 in Europe was NOS. HOLY COW, WHAT A DIFFERENCE! Thanks to the guys who put me on the right track with the four pole starter, and the suggestion of the modification/rebuild of the two pole unit, which, likely won't happen, now.
I can't believe the difference in starting, even when cold, the new starter buzzes that motor over effortlessly.

Ted
I am an analog man, trapped in a digital parallel reality.

1989 FJ 1200