News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

Won't Start After Battery Change

Started by alexvitojustin, November 02, 2023, 06:04:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bike won't start

answer
1 (100%)
answer
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 1

alexvitojustin

My bike was running great however it sits a lot.
I keep it on a tender and start it frequently.

The battery went dead and I replaced it, now it will crank and crank
but won't light off.  Could I have hit a wire or relay near the battery?

I check all that and seemed normal.  My next step is to check for a spark.

Any ideas?

Thanks
Alex in Texas

1984 FJ1100
1984 FJ1100

I have a pair!

Millietant

Quote from: alexvitojustin on November 02, 2023, 06:04:35 AM
My bike was running great however it sits a lot.
I keep it on a tender and start it frequently.

The battery went dead and I replaced it, now it will crank and crank
but won't light off.  Could I have hit a wire or relay near the battery?

I check all that and seemed normal.  My next step is to check for a spark.

Any ideas?

Thanks

Check for a spark and fuel first, and then go from there  :good2:

You can't really cause any other issues when changing the battery unless you've had more of the electrics apart.
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

FJmonkey

Consider all the things you touched to change the battery. Then consider  the path you suggested, spark?, fuel?, air?

It should be simple, swap the battery, fix the time on the clock, go for a ride.
The glass is not half full, it was engineered with a 2X safety factor.

'86 Ambulance - Bent frame, cracked case, due for an overhaul
'89 Stormy Blue - Suits my Dark Side

fj1289

Alex,

A little clarification please.  Had the bike been up and running before the battery went bad and you replaced it?  Or had it been sitting for a while (about how long please?) and the battery went bad and was replaced?

If the bike had been sitting for a while, the carbs probably need to be thoroughly cleaned - especially the idle circuits which are quite small and are the first to get clogged up.   Modern gas is a nightmare for gumming up carbs when they sit for any period of time - makes the old varnish issues look like child's play!

Good luck!

Old Rider

Some more things to check if the abowe advices not helps.Check the 15A fuse. Or If it standing on centerstand and the sidestand is down it will crank but not start. check the clutchlever switch by using a litte jumpwire between terminals under the clutch reservoir. Check the sidestand switch by jumpwire the terminal under left side sidecover.This is silly ,but check that there is fuel in the tank.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Old Rider on November 02, 2023, 05:28:32 PM
Some more things to check if the abowe advices not helps.Check the 15A fuse. Or If it standing on centerstand and the sidestand is down it will crank but not start. check the clutchlever switch by using a litte jumpwire between terminals under the clutch reservoir. Check the sidestand switch by jumpwire the terminal under left side sidecover.This is silly ,but check that there is fuel in the tank.

Correction required: If the side stand switch is present and working

Or If it standing on centerstand and the sidestand is down it will will not crank but not start.

The crank is one reason why the switch was added. Riding off with the stand down is clearly the other.

Old Rider

[/quote]

Correction required: If the side stand switch is present and working

Or If it standing on centerstand and the sidestand is down it will will not crank but not start.

The crank is one reason why the switch was added. Riding off with the stand down is clearly the other.
[/quote]

Okay i think i mix up some experience i had some years ago with the sidestand.One time the bike was standing on the centerstand and it cranked but did not fire then  i could see the sidestand was down and when i put it up it started.I replaced the sidestandswitch ,but it is several years ago so dont remember exactly why.Now i can not test because i wrapped up the bike  for winter. Another thing im 99% sure of is that the bike cranks but will not spark if the signal fuse 15A  is blown. One time i had a stop and the bike was cranking .After some fault searching i found the rear brakelight wiring had disconnected at the terminals where the rearbrake resevoir is and was shorting on the frame or the rear damper adjuster bracket.When connected the terminal again and replaced the fuse it started.

Bones

If the bike is on the centre stand and the side stand is down the engine will start, it's only when you go to put it in gear will the engine cut out. Same as when riding and stall at lights, bike will start with clutch pulled in in gear, saves trying to find neutral with a line of traffic behind.
93 fj1200
79 suzuki gt250x7

Too young to be old but old enough to know better.

FJmonkey

Quote from: Bones on November 03, 2023, 04:07:00 PM
If the bike is on the centre stand and the side stand is down the engine will start, it's only when you go to put it in gear will the engine cut out.

Not all countries had a side stand switch. They did here in the USA.

alexvitojustin

Thanks.

The bike was running fine prior to the battery change.
It has fuel, I keep 100LL aviation fuel in it.
It is on the kickstand not the center stand.

I will check for spark today and the fuse.  Thanks everyone.
Will let ya'll know what I find out.

BTW, my other one starts right up, right next to it !
Alex in Texas

1984 FJ1100
1984 FJ1100

I have a pair!

FJ1200W

Check the wires, positive and negative

Make sure one or a portion of one is not disconnected.

See attached - main fuse and/or that connection is my hypothesis.

Or any of the connections shown.

Should be a quick and easy fix.

Good luck!

Steve
Columbia, Missouri
USA

Old Rider

Another thing to try.. spray some startergas or carbcleaner into airbox intake .If it does not react to that you have no spark electrical issue. if it runs on the startgas it is a fuel problem carb issue . (popcorn)

alexvitojustin

Thanks for all the help.  It was a lead off of the
positive side that was hidden!  As soon as I saw it
I knew the problem.  It cranked right up.

Sometimes it is the simple things.

Alex in Texas

1984 FJ1100
1984 FJ1100

I have a pair!

fj1289