News:

Welcome to FJowners.com

It is the members who make this best place for FJ related content on the internet.

Main Menu

New FJ12 owner on Vancouver Island, BC - bike rebuild

Started by VanIsleFJ, October 29, 2023, 07:19:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

VanIsleFJ

So, as noted in the introductions, I just bought this 1990 FJ12 a few weeks ago.  It has 31,000 km, and overall pretty good condition, but several options installed by the previous owner including heated grips, loud horns, LED headlight, chain oiler, upgraded front brake calipers, 17" rear wheel and different rear caliper.  Unfortunately there are several fasteners for the fairings which are broken, and the integrated front signals were held together with some putty.  I couldn't identify the issues with the fairings and signal lights until I started disassembly.  I also bought a 1989 "parts" bike, which possibly can run, but I'll harvest some parts from this as it has 63,000 km and the fairings are in rough shape, tank dented, hole in seat, etc.
I've removed all the aftermarket electrical garbage on the bike - just not well done as the original wiring harness was hacked into etc.  I'll be putting this back to stock, and installing Oxford heated grips, which I've done a few times before, taking power directly from the battery (not the ignition harness as the PO did in this bike's case).

Front tire currently 120/70R17 - front wheel appears stock, but polished, size J 17 x MT 3.00
Rear tire currently 190/50R17 - rear wheel from ?, polished as the front, size J 17 x MT 6.00

Some questions - see photos attached.
What is the origin of the front brake calipers?  I know they're better than stock from reading on the forum.
What is the origin of the real wheel?  Is this too wide?  Obviously the PO rode it like this but check out the tire proximity to the chain - maybe 1/4" space between the two.  Seems dodgy to me.
What is origin of rear brake caliper?
Chain oiler -what type is this and note that a wire runs from the oiler to the carb intake to the head.  What's up with that?  I'm not sure about it yet as I haven't researched that.

VanIsleFJ

VanIsleFJ

Not sure why the photos are distorted.  Giving up now on photos

RPM - Robert

Resolution of second two are too high. First one came through just fine.

VanIsleFJ

Quote from: RPM - Robert on October 29, 2023, 08:03:40 PM
Resolution of second two are too high. First one came through just fine.

Thanks.  Another try:

Millietant

So, the front brake callipers are Yamaha Monoblock calipers from a late model bike (FZ1, MT/FJ 07 or something like that) and are a standard and worthwhile upgrade from the seizure-prone, wooden feeling, standard 4 piston late 1980's FJ calipers - and well with having.
I'd guess the pipe from the intake to the chain oilers is the vacuum pipe that shows the older only to feed when the engine is running (just like a vacuum operated fuel tap), so it will prevent the system bumping oil when the bike is parked up. The system may be a Scottoiler, or it will be something similar.

The wheel will likely have a make/brand cast into another one of the spokes, but whatever it is, as it's a 6" wheel, the 190 tyre is the right size and the 1/4" clearance is not unusual- what you will find though also, is that you will have a on-standard offset gearbox sprocket, so that the rear sprocket and chain can be aligned properly and still give that tyre clearance, something to think about when you need to buy new sprockets & chain.

I'm not sure of the rear caliper, but it's not a standard Yamaha, maybe something of a Suzuki or Kawasaki - likely from the same bike that have to the rear wheel and caliper mounting arm.

On the whole though, all good upgrades of done properly  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

VanIsleFJ

Quote from: Millietant on October 29, 2023, 10:21:42 PM
So, the front brake callipers are Yamaha Monoblock calipers from a late model bike (FZ1, MT/FJ 07 or something like that) and are a standard and worthwhile upgrade from the seizure-prone, wooden feeling, standard 4 piston late 1980's FJ calipers - and well with having.
I'd guess the pipe from the intake to the chain oilers is the vacuum pipe that shows the older only to feed when the engine is running (just like a vacuum operated fuel tap), so it will prevent the system bumping oil when the bike is parked up. The system may be a Scottoiler, or it will be something similar.

The wheel will likely have a make/brand cast into another one of the spokes, but whatever it is, as it's a 6" wheel, the 190 tyre is the right size and the 1/4" clearance is not unusual- what you will find though also, is that you will have a on-standard offset gearbox sprocket, so that the rear sprocket and chain can be aligned properly and still give that tyre clearance, something to think about when you need to buy new sprockets & chain.

I'm not sure of the rear caliper, but it's not a standard Yamaha, maybe something of a Suzuki or Kawasaki - likely from the same bike that have to the rear wheel and caliper mounting arm.

On the whole though, all good upgrades of done properly  :good2:

Thanks very much for your feedback!   I'll check out that front sprocket compared to the original setup on the parts bike I have, and advise any further info on the rear wheel and caliper.   

fj1289

I think there is a very good chance the rear rim setup is off an R1 - maybe 2004-2008 or so?

VanIsleFJ

Quote from: fj1289 on November 02, 2023, 08:55:12 PM
I think there is a very good chance the rear rim setup is off an R1 - maybe 2004-2008 or so?

Will try to confirm that.  Smive not found any marking on the rim for ID, other than the photo I posted

VanIsleFJ

Warm engine - compression test 160 to 165 psi across all 4 cylinders!

fj1289

aviationfred

I'm not the fastest FJ rider, I am 'half-fast', the fastest slow guy....

Current
2008 VFR800 RC46 Vtec
1996 VFR750 RC36/2
1990 FJ1300 (1297cc) Casper
1990 VFR750 RC36/1 Minnie
1989 FJ1200 Lazarus, the Streetfighter Project
1985 VF500F RC31 Interceptor

giantkiller

Your front fender tab. Just save the pieces and use plastex or plastifix. To put it back together. Get some really fine fiberglass cloth. Modeling fiberglass cloth from hobby store. And mold it in on the back side with plastex for reinforcement.
86 fj1350r
86 fj1380t turbo drag toy (soon)
87 fj1200 865 miles crashed for parts
89 fj1200 touring 2up
87 fzr1000 crashed
87 fzr750r Human Race teams world endurance champion
93 fzr600 Vance n hines ltd for sale
Custom chopper I built
Mini chopper I built for my daughter just like the big 1

VanIsleFJ

I've been working on the bike quite a bit since the last post.  The original rear swingarm (from the '89) and wheels are back on the bike.  All the electronic extras have been removed, carbs rebuilt, best parts taken from each bike to make one nice one.  I cleaned the rust out of the gas tank.  New tires on the way and still need to fix plastics and go over brakes.  My goal with this is to have an essentially stock bike but keeping the superior front brake calipers of course.  The PO did some crazy suspect stuff like no locking washer on the front sprocket, which was offset as noted by Millietant.  The chain wore a hole through the sprocket cover!  The nut was only finger tight when I took it apart - glad I didn't ride this bike far or fast before I bought it!
I do have a question about replacing the front brake lines.  Has anyone ever bought an "off the shelf" stainless braided line kit to work with the R1 calipers and the stock M/C?  2 line or 3 line system?  The Galfer system for the 1999 R1 will fit my calipers but not sure if the lines are long enough to reach M/C?
thanks.