News:

This forum is run by RPM and donations from members.

It is the donations of the members that help offset the operating cost of the forum. The secondary benefit of being a contributing member is the ability to save big during RPM Holiday sales. For more information please check out this link: Membership has its privileges 

Thank you for your support of the all mighty FJ.

Main Menu

Back to the Track

Started by Millietant, July 30, 2023, 11:57:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Millietant

This time it was Donington Park, on Saturday. Before that though, Friday saw the FJ up on the bench for an oil & filter change, valve clearance check (all OK still after 11,000 miles since the the last time a shim needed to be changed) air filter cleaning, brake fluid change, pads check, caliper service, suspension check, chain and controls lube and adjustment and rear suspension linkage lube. The only slightly untoward thing was that I noticed my throttle tube was slightly lazy on the return so the switchgear came apart and the cables and throttle tube got lubed too....all sorted !

I decided to have a bit of fun this time and show that the FJ was a proper "sports-tourer"...........so I left my top box on the bike and dressed accordingly, rather than in my one-piece leathers. I thoroughly enjoyed myself and it must have looked strange seeing a "touring" bike being given some kookaloo on track alongside sports bikes and riders in full leathers (I made an effort coming out of Goddards to "get on the gas early" and do a few overtakes of much sportier bikes as we accelerated past the grandstand   :sarcastic:).

I don't have any decent photo's from Saturday's sessions yet, but do have this one from the exit lane.

This is a "heatmap" overview of my laps from my GPS speedo/tracker, where the blue colour indicates the slowest speeds and the red indicates the fastest.

The whole day was immense fun !

I went back to Donington Park yesterday (Sunday) with my FJ on display in the VJMC line up and had good wander around the Classic and Vintage display area, as well as watching the racing. The only downside to the whole weekend was the heavy rain on the ride home.......so it's back into the garage tomorrow to give the bike a good clean. When I gave it a blow dry with my air line this evening, I also decided that my tyre's were now just about at the point of needing to be changed. Not worn to the indicator strips, but the front is definitely showing some signs of cornering "abuse"  :sarcastic:  After quite a few years/miles on Bridgestone BT023's, I'm going to switch to Michelin Road 5's or 6's (I love the 4's that are on my Fazer 1000/FZ1).

There's a few photo's following this, of my favourites from both the Vintage/Classic show stands and the CRMC paddock to give a flavour of the quality of some of the machines that were there  :good2:
Dean

'89 FJ 1200 3CV - owned from new.
'89 FJ 1200 3CV - no engine, tank, seat....parts bike for the future.
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - complete runner 2024 resto project
'88 FJ 1200 3CV - became a race bike, no longer with us.
'86 FJ 1200 1TX - sold to my boss to finance the '89 3CV I still own.

Millietant

Dean

Millietant

Dean

Millietant

Some paddock favourites

There were many more.......... But these are just a few  :good2:
Dean

Old Rider

Greeat report Dean an thanks for sharing exiting picks . Did you follow my last advice to bring with you  a large screwdriver and a hammer ?  :sarcastic:
I think i have to move to England

Millietant

I'd have needed a full toolbox full of screwdriver's  :sarcastic: :sarcastic:

There were so many ultra desirable bikes (6 CB 1100 R's, a dozen various Harris Magnum's, so many 1960 replica Honda 4 race bikes, RC 30's, RC 45's, NSR's, Kawasaki 2 stroke triples, dozens of 1970's sports mopeds.........), I could just go on and on and on.

It's been a great couple of weeks for me biking-wise  :good2:
Dean